I don't know what I need (usually_quiet Config)

usually_quiet

Thread author
Oct 8, 2014
Hello,

Need some help. Almost 3 years without antivirus and without firewall, never got malware, still sometimes I feel ''naked''. Long story short, I think that recently someone entered into my PC. I don't need an antivirus, just a lightweight solution like if I remember well Look'n'Stop was (I don't understand why the development stopped).

The problem is that I don't know what I need. I don't download torrents, warez or anything else so my problem are not viruses but inbound protection.

My dilemma is the huge amount of apps available right now, the small time I have to test them and not so good understanding of the English language when it comes to security:

Online Armor - development stopped?
PrivateFirewall - development stopped/slowed down?
DefenseWall Personal Firewall - last time when I tried it it was not lightweight (about a year ago)
VoodooShield - don't know anything about :(
AppGuard - it works like a firewall also, I mean if someone enter into my PC and mess with some folders or files AppGuard will alert me in real time about??
TinyWall - inbound/outbound protection or just a Windows Firewall GUI?
Windows Firewall Control - inbound/outbound protection or just a Windows Firewall GUI?
Spyshelter firewall - don't know anything about :(

Thank you!

Reactions: BoraMurdar

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
if you need only inbound protection then windows firewall is enough.

But I will suggest keep some realtime protection on. Which includes

1. UAC on
2. Put some Antivirus. There are lots of free options avilable like ( Avast , 360 IS/TS, Avira, AVG)
3. Get one firewall too like Comodo Firewall/Private Firewall.

Reactions: tonibalas

OneDay

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2014
Hello.. As @Anupam suggested, you should definitely turn on UAC.
Now, If you don't want to use an antivirus (generally, a bad idea), you could try Toolwiz Time Freeze (sandbox).
As for inbound protection, WF is fine, but PF and CF are as good, too.

Reactions: tonibalas

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Hello and welcome o MalwareTips. :) Also at do what Anupam suggests.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Definitely enable UAC
I would suggest more than one on demand scanner such as Hitman Pro and or Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Privacy software: CCleaner or Privazer if you dont already have one of these installed
HTTPS Everywhere in Chrome and Firefox.
I would suggest adding Sandboxie
Windows firewall should be fine
Thanks for sharing your config :)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Windows firewall is totally fine, inbound protection is not the problem (unless Anonymous attacks you :D )if you want to limit the outbound traffic of the apps you can do it manually with Windows Firewall or get some solution like TinyWall for example if you are too worried.
Password Manager for your Chrome and Firefox and use the latest versions of the browsers.

Enable UAC , use your head like you did these 3 years without infection and everything should be fine ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.