Troubleshoot I have an issue with new monitor Aorus FI27Q (black dots dropping down vertically in the middle)

sew333

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2016
Hello.
First my pc.I have Gigabyte Rtx 3090 OC ( stock ) and 10850K stock ,32gb ram.

Issue is only on 1920x1080P with 165hz. On 1440P with 165mhz is fine. On 1920x1080P with 144hz is fine. On 1920x1080P with 165mhz i can see on screen small black dots flickering vertical.

If i wanna catch screen its not visible or clip. So i post screen and i added from paint. Just very small flickering black dots on vertical position. Happens only in 1080P with 165HZ. Visible on desktop too when i am very close.

https://i.ibb.co/QJCTh7B/art.jpg

somebody ( other person ) had the same issue with same monitor,link reddit:
www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/hib8h7/please_help_i_have_an_issue_with_new_monitor/

It happens only in 1080P or below with 165hz. With 144hz 1080P is ok. 1440P 165hz its ok.
I am not happy with pc because of this. What should i do ? Ignore that or rma ? Somebody said that i must rma monitor even if doing that on non-native resolution.

PS:
When i am playing games on rtx 3090 on 1440P ( which is ok ) i am thinking about that i am not happy:(

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
oki so game on 1440P 165hz and not rma monitor?:) thanks for helping me

My advice is to game in the native resolution 2560x1440 in ultra/max/ all in Max and enjoy your RTX 3090. Because to play in 1920x1080 in can stick with a GTX 1660 it is enough.
Single games, and non-competitive games, play in the best resolution possible and max settings possible, enjoy the game, lower resolution will give you a worst game experience, FPS are just good for online gaming where FPS can give you a little advantage.

Upvote 0

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
But why when i wanna make screenshot ,screens are not saving that small dots/squares. ?

Because when you make the screenshot, you already are in a new frame, the frame rate is faster than the screenshot you can capture that making a video of the game.
And screenshots are a passive image is a frame, and that dots are probably some corruption in the frame rate and how the drivers handle the FPS.
Try to turn off G-sync in your monitor and tell me if the problem still remains, G-sync and Free sync are great features, but they don't work always has expected.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
Your system specs are way overkill for 1080p in the majority of gaming titles the RTX 3090 pushes over 200fps on max settings
and your monitor is only 165Hz which means it wastes power above 165fps.

The card is actually suited more for 1440p and 4K.

Although it is causing an issue at 1080p 165Hz I don't see it has anything you should be worried about. This could also be an issue with Crysis since it is
an old title.

Running the card at 1440p resolution at 165Hz will be a much better experience than that of 1080p 165Hz.

If you want to make the most out of your GPU then enable Nvidia DSR and up the resolution to 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179
Upvote 0

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Your gpu should be able to handle a big range of screen resolutions and refresh rates perfectly. You should not be limited to higher resolutions like that. Did you make a capture of it with a camera? Might come in handy when explaining your case.

Rarely, this could be a production flaw, with compromised pixels. The Reddit post was interesting. You won't know unless you pursue it thru Gigabyte.

Also, do you have another compatible cable to try?

Upvote 0

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020
Your gpu should be able to handle a big range of screen resolutions and refresh rates perfectly. You should not be limited to higher resolutions like that. Did you make a capture of it with a camera? Might come in handy when explaining your case.

Rarely, this could be a production flaw, with compromised pixels. The Reddit post was interesting. You won't know unless you pursue it thru Gigabyte.

The dots in RDR2 were a driver problem solve in the last driver update:

"GeForce Hotfix display driver version 461.81 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 461.72 .

The hotfix addresses the following issues:

• [Vulkan] Red Dead Redemption 2 may display pixelated black dots [3266614"

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 85179
Upvote 0

sew333

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2016
So i turned off gsync. Turned off freesync in monitor settings. Uninstalled nvidia drivers newest and installed from 2020 october and the same issue. Maybe its cable or maybe monitor

Upvote 0

Freud2004

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jun 26, 2020

This is not a monitor problem, its drivers, the RTX 3090 at 1980 resolution produce more FPS than the monitor can support the G-sync should resolve the problem, but there are some issues in the implementation that are causing the problem.

My advice is installing older drivers, until the actual Nvidia drivers are working correctly.

Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
I came across an article related to 8bit color depth vs 10bit in regards to video playback.

You can try switching between 8bit color depth and 10bit and see if that helps anything.

Reactions: Venustus
Upvote 0

sew333

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2016
Last edited:
Upvote 0

The_King

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 2, 2020
so no rma monitor?

On page 42 of the manual is the supported display timings.
DP.jpg

The problem is most likely the cable you are using.

You stated that your monitor is working fine using a DP @ 1080p 144hz that timing is not supported but is supported using HDMi 2.0

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sew333

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Mar 11, 2016
do you have another monitor to test your pc hardware to confirm this is not your computer hardware issue?
When i am using in nvidia panel. I made perform scaling from monitor on [gpu] and it dissapeared ,that dots dissapearing. It must be monitor?

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.