I need help choosing an antivirus - It must be extremely light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I just tried Comodo Cloud again, and found it to be way too heavy for my liking. Perhaps once it had finished analysing my system, things would improve, but I didn't want to have to put up with a slow system until then.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 2913
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Based on your needs, Qihoo 360 TSE would do the job, Im just thinking what is the "Slight keyboard input lag" you are experiencing with it, you shouldn't get any tbh :confused:

Reactions: frogboy and roger_m

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Based on your needs, Qihoo 360 TSE would do the job, Im just thinking what is the "Slight keyboard input lag" you are experiencing with it, you shouldn't get any tbh :confused:
When I'm typing I get a very small delay between when I press a key and when it appears on the screen. It's only a very slight delay, but it's enough to be noticable and annoying. If not for the delay, then 360 TSE or even TS would be ideal for what I need.

I've done my best to find the cause of the lag, without any success.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The justification of an Antivirus being light is something hard to prove nowadays, we have different systems and specifications. Although some AV's managed to be light like Avast, ESET and even Norton.

Some products like Panda Free and Btidefender Free are light footprint since they rely heavily through cloud.

In terms of usability, I will go for Norton as it has good cloud detection and the SONAR itself is already capable for sophisticated threats. Configuration is also straightforward which let Norton do the job.

Meanwhile Avast is another good contender since the Hardening Mode serves as your lockdown protection against unknown files.

Wait... You can try SecureAplus alone as it has cloud AV reference + whitelisting technology. You need to carefully check for some interactive pop-ups.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The justification of an Antivirus being light is something hard to prove nowadays, we have different systems and specifications. Although some AV's managed to be light like Avast, ESET and even Norton.
I've found all three of them to be very light. However, there's no way to stop Norton from auto quarantining some items. Some items need to be manually white listed in ESET, and you can only do whitelisting manually in Avast.

conceptualclarity

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 23, 2013
I'm looking for help in choosing an antivirus. I was using Tencet PC Manager for a while, but uninstalled it to try to new beta of AVG. I decided not to stick with the beta, and uninstalled it. While PC Manager, on the whole works very well, I feel like trying something different.

It must have the option to prompt for action to take for every single threat found, and give the option to ignore the threat. Some antiviruses will only prompt for some threats, and auto quarantine others, which is not want I want.

It also must be extremely light. I don't care about RAM usage, I just don't want it to ever noticably slow down my computer.

I find most antiviruses to be too heavy, even Windows Defender. After uninstalling PC Manager I can say that I barely notice any difference in speed now that I'm not running any antivirus (not even Windows Defender). compared to when I was using it. I'm looking for something just as light. I tried NOD32 10 last night, and was impressed by how light it was. However, I don't like that you have manually add exceptions for some files. If you configure it to prompt for an action whenever a threat is found, for some things detected you have the option to add them to the ignore list from the alert popup, but for some others you can't do that.

I have used Microsoft Security Essentials, Avast, Panda free, Webroot, Roboscan, Advanced System Care Ultimate, and now ESET Smart Security. Like you I get really bothered by processing surges that slow down my use of my computer. Only with the last two have I escaped those processing surges. Of course ESET is obviously a far better AV than Advanced System Care Ultimate. Even though the latter rents the Bitdefender engine we all know Bitdefender renters aren't in the same league with Bitdefender itself. I also have ESET configured to prompt for action because like you I have programs such as NirLauncher and Advanced Win Utilities Free and others that may be targeted by overzealous PUPs-hunters, and I have learned to hate auto-deletion. (I also have PUPS detection disabled. I figure I can determine for myself whether or not a program is "unwanted." I have a program called ExeWatch which logs all executables that come on board my system, so I can check and see if something unwelcome got on board.) ESET might be the best you can do despite the need you found to manually whitelist in some instances. I found that Webroot and Avast didn't always obey my configuration, but I haven't seen that so far with ESET.

Good luck!:)

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I have tried a number of antiviruses over the past few days, and for now I am using Virus Chaser. I've used it in the past, but thought it had not been updated for some time. However, I just downloaded the 64 bit installer again, and it was updated just 6 months ago.

So far, it's been very light. It uses very recent Bitdefender sigantures. Currently VC's latest signatures are just one hour behind Bitdefender.

Threats have to be excluded manually, and only folders can be excluded, rather than individual files. However, for the moment I can live with this, as it doesn't do very well at detecting PUPs, which means there are not many folders to exlcude from scanning. I scanned both my Program Files folders, and it only detected PUPs in three folders, which I have now excluded. It's detecting one or two files in my downloads folders, and since it can't exclude individual files, I can't exclude them, but I can live with that.

In the past few days, I tried the following antiviruses, and none of them met ny needs. Comodo and Emsisoft were both way too heavy for my liking, and I found Baidu and AVS v4 to both be a little too heavy.
  • 100years AntiVirus
  • AVG Antivirus Beta
  • Baidu Antivirus
  • Comodo Cloud Antivirus
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • IObit Malware Fighter
  • NOD32 v10
  • nProtect AVS 3
  • nProtect AVS 4 Beta
I'm impressed by how light NOD32 v10 is. Perhaps this is becuase I'm using a faster computer than the last time I tried v9. But, it may also be due to the improvements in v10. If I wasn't so worried about having to manually add some exclusions, I would consider buying a license.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
@roger_m Any reason for the change?
PC Manager has an occasional bug, where sometimes any alerts come us as a completely solid black window. This can fixed by rebooting, but it is annoying. Also, it can't quarantine a process which is running. It will say it has quarantined it, but it is still runnning, as it seems it does not try to terminate the process.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I've found all three of them to be very light. However, there's no way to stop Norton from auto quarantining some items. Some items need to be manually white listed in ESET, and you can only do whitelisting manually in Avast.

For Norton you can configure the Scan Options to 'ask me', on the other hand you can exclude them from scanning by going to Sonar and Autoprotect settings.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
For Norton you can configure the Scan Options to 'ask me', on the other hand you can exclude them from scanning by going to Sonar and Autoprotect settings.
Based on past usage, it seems you can not get it to ask for everything, and there will always be some things which get auto quarantined. I want to be prompted for every single file that is detected.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It seems that exlusions can only be done manually. When the real time protection detected something, I received an alert in Polish. However, I was able to use Google Translate on my phone to translate it, and there was no ignore option. There was also no ignore option after running a scan, although at least this time, most of the options shown had been translated into English.

It seems that exlusions can only be done manually. When the real time protection detected something, I received an alert in Polish. However, I was able to use Google Translate on my phone to translate it, and there was no ignore option. There was also no ignore option after running a scan, although at least this time, most of the options shown had been translated into English.

Cap5.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.