I need help choosing an antivirus - It must be extremely light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Even if PUP enabled you can easily exclude them from message popup.
View attachment 127387
It won't let me exclude some items from the popups, and they have to be excluded manually. Also, even with PUP detection disabled, NOD32 will detect some software and installers that I want to keep.

Having said that, I may end up returning to NOD32 and manually adding a number of exceptions. I was really impressed by how light v10 is, and I like the UI anw how configurable NOD32 is. In the past I've found NOD32 to be too heavy on certain computers, even when I installed a really old version (it I think it was v2.7) which was meant to be lighter than current versions. Of course, to get an adequate idea of how light it is I need to use it for a week or so, as sometimes I find that some light antiviruses have occasional unexplained periods of high CPU use which slows my computer down.

Reactions: Adz.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
The time he spent on this thread rejecting the suggestions he could have spent white-listing the software in the settings of a good AV product and then let it do it's job properly; he would have spent less than a quarter of the time doing this than he did on the thread rejecting suggestions.
That's certainly true. But, I like trying different antiviruses and because I'm really sick at the moment and rarely leave the home, I spend 12+ hours a day lying in bed using my laptop, I have lots of time to try out different configurations.

I may end up sticking with NOD32 (and adding exclusions), as I'm impressed by v10.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I'm up to 15 antiviruses now. I've come to the conclusion that it's going to be too hard to find an antivirus which can do exactly what I want, i.e. prompt for every detection, and give me the option to add the file to the ignore list. As a result, I'm now going to use an antivirus with auto quarantine. However, the issue I have now is that I want an antivirus where when I restore files from quarantine there is the the option to add them to the ignore list to prevent future detection. Also, of course It's imporant, that every single file deteced is quanratined (i.e. nothing is deleted), and that everything quarantined can be easily be whitelisted.

I tried NOD32 twice more but it won't let me add some quanratined files from the ignore list, which rules it out. I also tried Arabit again, however it actually deleted some of the files I told it to quarantine, which rules it out as well. Also, quite possibly when files are restored it won't add them to the ignore list.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
you can only do whitelisting manually in Avast.

Pretty sure there is a small prompt that appears when Avast detects something and can allow you to exclude the object. Been using Avast at maximum protection and I have very little promts. (Gaming mode is NOT on) Also I think in Avast settings as well you can set detections to "ask me" or somehting

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Pretty sure there is a small prompt that appears when Avast detects something and can allow you to exclude the object. Been using Avast at maximum protection and I have very little promts. (Gaming mode is NOT on) Also I think in Avast settings as well you can set detections to "ask me" or somehting
You can't ignore files from the prompt. You can tell Avast to ignore the files when you restore them from quarantine. I'm going to try it again now. Hopefully it's better than the new Avast powered beta if AVG which deleted some files I want to keep.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
In norton you can restore a file from quarintine "History, Quarintine,, Restore" and norton never will send this to quarintine again. Norton is very easy to use and you can contact support on english and they can help you very well. I like it and not are norton fan. My choice is emsisoft or bullguard .

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Avast is working well so far. I ran a Quick scan, and it identified a number of files which I quarantined. I was able to restore and whitelist the files from quarantine in one step. After that, I ran another Quick scan, and this time, nothing was detected, indicating that Avast had indeed ignored all the files when it restored them.

Avast restored the files from quarantine very quickly, and have no indication it had finished. It would be nice to get a notice on completion, or for files to be delete from quantine once restored. But in reality, this is something minor, and I manually emptied the quarantine.

So far, it seems that Avast does just what I need. It's very light, and I can easily ignore quanrtined files. I just enabled the check for PUPs when doing a scan, just to see what is detected, and am running another scan. I guess for my usage, it will be better to leave it disabled, but I'm interested to try it.

Thankyou for the suggestions everyone. Of course over the next few days, I'll be able to get a better indcation of how Avast performs, and see if Avast reamains light.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Avast is working well so far. I ran a Quick scan, and it identified a number of files which I quarantined. I was able to restore and whitelist the files from quarantine in one step. After that, I ran another Quick scan, and this time, nothing was detected, indicating that Avast had indeed ignored all the files when it restored them.

Avast restored the files from quarantine very quickly, and have no indication it had finished. It would be nice to get a notice on completion, or for files to be delete from quantine once restored. But in reality, this is something minor, and I manually emptied the quarantine.

So far, it seems that Avast does just what I need. It's very light, and I can easily ignore quanrtined files. I just enabled the check for PUPs when doing a scan, just to see what is detected, and am running another scan. I guess for my usage, it will be better to leave it disabled, but I'm interested to try it.

Thankyou for the suggestions everyone. Of course over the next few days, I'll be able to get a better indcation of how Avast performs, and see if Avast reamains light.
also do this
this will improve the speed of avast and reduce disk activity. Uncheck this option
qqSk10S.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.