I need help choosing an antivirus - It must be extremely light!

Status
Not open for further replies.

That is how I how I have it configured. But when I get an alert, there is no option to add the file detected to the ignore list.

There was an option to make an exclusion right within the alert. It was an earlier version, so perhaps the option to exclude was changed from the older to the newest version. It could be something else, but no comment.

Frustrating, I know it is...

The only AV that I know, for sure, that has the ability to create an AV exclusion right from within the alert every time is Comodo.

Of course, there is also EAM\EIS with the option in their alerts, but you already tried it.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Based on past usage, it seems you can not get it to ask for everything, and there will always be some things which get auto quarantined. I want to be prompted for every single file that is detected.

Unfortunately Norton does not contain that function, well the main concern is to block immediately without further action needs hence they trying their best to reduce FP and FN.

Main target of users are majority of inexperience ones on that simplified concept.

I also think that ZoneAlarm will present the user with a panel upon detection with the options - Delete, Quarantine, Ignore Once, Ignore Always.

For example, it detects Process Hacker (because it uses the Kaspersky engine and K detects it), and I distinctly remember selecting "Ignore Always."

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
He can clean install os to get his system work faster or get faster hardware.
That's not the main issue here. I want an antivirus which will never auto quarantine files. I always want to be prompted and asked what to do when someting is detected, and I want one of the options to be to ignore and add the file to the whitelist, so that I'm not alerted about it again.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
That's not the main issue here. I want an antivirus which will never auto quarantine files. I always want to be prompted and asked what to do when someting is detected, and I want one of the options to be to ignore and add the file to the whitelist, so that I'm not alerted about it again.
Qihoo 360 has what you need but you experience typing delay due to slow system so backup your files clean install os then restore your files from backup install Qihoo 360 problem solved.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Qihoo 360 has what you need but you experience typing delay due to slow system so backup your files clean install os then restore your files from backup install Qihoo 360 problem solved.
As much as I like 360's antivirus, I don't want to do that. I've installed many programs during the last eighteen months since I did a clean install of Windows, and don't want to spend time installing software again.

360 TS and Webroot are the only antiviruses out of many that I've used, which cause keyboard lag.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Did you try 360 TS on clean system and on performance settings before??? Did it still cause keyboard lag???
It worked fine on my current Windows install a long time ago, and would do so again if I did a clean install. The lag is still there on ym current system when I change the protection settings to make it lighter.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Why are you so concerned about the AV auto quarantining files?
Because I have various PUPs installed which I don't want to remove. I'd much rather they were never quarantined, than having to restore them if they get quarantined.

M

MalwareBlockerYT

Because I have various PUPs installed which I don't want to remove. I'd much rather they were never quarantined, than having to restore them if they get quarantined.
So you have malware on your system? You use these PUPs?

W

Wave

Forget about less-known antivirus that are not mentioned on this forum. If our testers do not try one on the HUB, much probably it's not worth it. (like it happened when i tested Immunet on the Hub, stay away from it). Then, once again, you realise you're on a standby: you have lots of well-known antivirus, such as AVG, Avast, Avira, BitDefender, ESET, Kaspersky, Norton, Emsisoft, and lots more. Since all of them are sig-based software, i must say that the key is on software combinations to cover all your system's weak points.
I agree with you. :)

To be completely honest I don't understand why he needs to go to the trouble of this hunt in the first place. All he needs to do is use a normal AV product from a vendor like Avast, AVG, ESET, Kaspersky, Avira, Norton, Emsisoft (the AM),... And just perform his testing on a separate host system dedicated to testing or within a Virtual Machine.

The job of an AV product is to protect you, and they tend to enjoy auto-quarantine functionality with the interest for the user... Users make dumb decisions all the time and it's common for the customer to ignore the alert and just hit Allow, whereas if the sample is auto-quarantined then it increases the chances of the customer listening to the product and not going and allowing it due to the work involved to run it (add to exceptions, restore from quarantine, etc).

All he needs to do is disable the protection when it's installed -> white-list all his "detected" installed software -> re-enable protection... And then test new products on a virtual environment or another testing system, and white-list it when it's time to use on his host. It would take a few minutes lol

But I mean... I don't know what he wants us to do. Many people have given suggestions and it seems nothing is good enough.

W

Wave

Why are you so concerned about the AV auto quarantining files?
He has software installed which is commonly detected by AV products (probably cleaning software) and he doesn't want to white-list them, he'd rather have an alert to ask him what to do so he can just click the allow button... But most security software will want to auto-quarantine (if not all) instead of ask him first.

The time he spent on this thread rejecting the suggestions he could have spent white-listing the software in the settings of a good AV product and then let it do it's job properly; he would have spent less than a quarter of the time doing this than he did on the thread rejecting suggestions.

He's in a pretty tough situation since it seems nothing will work right for how he wants it, so I don't even know what to suggest to him (hence why I didn't suggest any product yet).

I'm currently trying to brainstorm a product which will do what he wants but a lot has already been suggested... I'm genuinely stuck.

roger_m

Level 41
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
So you have malware on your system? You use these PUPs?
I have no malware on my system. I have PUPs on my system which I installed myself and use. It's important to note that almost all PUPs are not malicious, hence the label "potentially unwanted." Quite often PUPs are of little use, but of course this alone does not make them malicious. The PUPs that I use, I find to be useful.

Stas

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Feb 21, 2015
Even if PUP enabled you can easily exclude them from message popup.
eset.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.