I Think I Figured Out The Success of Webroot.

rodneyomcc1974

Thread author
May 23, 2020
Go to Google. Type in Amazon, and the word Antivirus. Click on Amazon best Sellers. (This gives you the top 50 or 100).

Guess who is and has been at number 4, 8, 10, 15, 16, 17, 22, 23, 34, 54, 59, 61, 70, and 99?.............Webroot.

So the answer of their success, and why someone paid so much for them, is sales.

Now I do like Mcafee, and F-Secure, they are light this year...BUT not as light as Webroot.

The thing I like the most though, are the 2 settings shown below.

You will say the protection sucks, but I do like the 2 settings
1.jpg
2.jpg

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Option 2 would work better, if Webroot's firewall didn't automatically allow connections after two minutes. If you're away from your computer when an untrusted process attempts to connect to the internet, you wont see the alert, so it will be automatically allowed after two minutes.

Like a Western!

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 6, 2016
Option 2 would work better, if Webroot's firewall didn't automatically allow connections after two minutes. If you're away from your computer when an untrusted process attempts to connect to the internet, you wont see the alert, so it will be automatically allowed after two minutes.
it should first pass the first layer of protection tho, and the first one is the first picture which is some kind of default-deny i believe

Webroot is not that garbage, it's just not the product you can play with that much in forums like MT.
they have some real deal customers
and overall protection they offer is pretty much more than enough for most of users out there, it's somehow a business class protection just like SOPHOS. and such companies work more on Detection & Response.

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
Some banks offer Webroot free, which is how I acquired it; this likely boosts their market share. I used it on my previous Windows 7 laptop, which couldn't run MSE because of insufficient RAM. Webroot was very light on resources and apparently protected me well enough, since I never found any infection w/ 2nd-opinion scanners. My only problem about WR was inscrutable false positives, even at default settings, that couldn't be remediated by whitelisting or by reporting to the company for review. This especially occurred with alternative browsers including Pale Moon, Sea Monkey, and even the plain builds of Chromium and the signed exe's of SlimJet.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
max heuristics can stop just about anything. but it has caught me once or twice by messing up a windows update. on enhanced, it has never caused me any problems. but if one likes super secure, click max, and remember to turn it off for updating.

i also like that they offer excellent anti-spy protection and isolate my browser from all other programs, so even if i have an undetected trojan, it can't get my bank numbers.

Some banks offer Webroot free, which is how I acquired it; this likely boosts their market share. I used it on my previous Windows 7 laptop, which couldn't run MSE because of insufficient RAM. Webroot was very light on resources and apparently protected me well enough, since I never found any infection w/ 2nd-opinion scanners. My only problem about WR was inscrutable false positives, even at default settings, that couldn't be remediated by whitelisting or by reporting to the company for review. This especially occurred with alternative browsers including Pale Moon, Sea Monkey, and even the plain builds of Chromium and the signed exe's of SlimJet.
i've gotten it this way. it is banking software and i've seen it professionally tested as such in banking software tests with trusteer rapport and others against the likes of zeus. i can't recall where, but it was a European testing lab. so to people that move a lot of money around online, it is something that eases the anxiety when run complimentary with another AV.

tipo

Level 8
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
They should work more malware detection and then on marketing. Last time I tested it it was terrible. If i find the license i bought last year and if it is still valid i will donate it to someone who wants it. I will tell you guys here if I find it. I know it’s on a usb stick somewhere.

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
They should work more malware detection and then on marketing. Last time I tested it it was terrible. If i find the license i bought last year and if it is still valid i will donate it to someone who wants it. I will tell you guys here if I find it. I know it’s on a usb stick somewhere.
I'll take it if you don't want it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.