Troubleshoot Icons in windows have no image

Overkill

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Hey guys win 10 is being a pita, I did a reboot to finish updates and after restarting my icons were all screwed up as you can see below...
FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

FileDownloadHandler.ashx

Vacoas

Level 1
Jan 9, 2017
You may try this...FixWin10...fixes mention "Fix Corrupted Desktop Icons. Fix and rebuild corrupted icon cache"...fix is under "Additional Fixes".

Hope your probs are fixed.

Download page...go through the page...couple things mentioned...
FixWin for Windows 10: Repair problems and issues in a click
List of fixes page
List of fixes available in FixWin 10
Screenshots page
FixWin 10 for Windows 10 - Screenshot Gallery

I tried it...its portable & clean little tool...quite a few fixes...I like it...hope fixes are good & effective.

Many thanks for the suggestion. I did try it but it only attempts to remove
C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Iconcache.db
which does not solve the issue.

But thanks for the pointer to FixWin 10 as it may come in handy for other issues.

Upvote 0

Vacoas

Level 1
Jan 9, 2017
Just to let you know that after trying a few more things I attempted a "Repair Install of Windows 10 with an ISO file". I created an ISO file using MediaCreationTool on the HDD and repaired Windows 10. And, lo and behold, all my icons reappeared.

I must admit I was a bit wary of losing some settings but things went smoothly although the whole process took about 3 hours.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.