Advice Request If I use KIS, then is that necessary to enable Microsoft Edge's Enhanced Security Mode?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
If I use KIS, then is that necessary to enable Microsoft Edge's Enhanced Security Mode?
Microsoft Edge's Enhanced Security Mode explained - gHacks Tech News
Microsoft Edge's Enhanced Security Mode explained - gHacks Tech News

I know layered protection is very good to have, but as a savvy user that I use common sense, and know what I am doing, I thought to post this question here to know ideas.
Thank you very much.

I also read this and this is true, but in my idea, I don't need to use stuff I don't need.
"It’s common in the information security field to refer to layered protection as defense in depth. This is a very important principle and refers to using several different types of defenses to accomplish the same goal. For example, you might use a firewall, intrusion detection system, honeypot, and router to monitor for and detect unauthorized intrusions to your network. It’s much more difficult for an attacker to successfully defeat all four of those diverse systems than to defeat one of them alone. Defense in depth is discussed in greater detail in Chapter 3."
Source: Information security illuminated book by Michael G. Solomon, Mike Chapple

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
Yes, MD is great, but I like the Firewall in KIS.

Or maybe you would recommend to use WD and buy standalone firewall like Zone Alarm?

Reactions: Dave Russo and Jack

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Or maybe you would recommend to use WD and buy standalone firewall like Zone Alarm?

The choice of an Antivirus is made according to what you do and especially on your needs.
MD is very good, even by default. You have a good base using Edge.
If you want a firewall, you have free ones like Comodo, Tiny or Simplefirewall

amirr

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
ZA also has free one:
I am familiar with ZA firewall, free one, back to 2003. Isn't it better than Comodo or others you mentioned?

Reactions: Dave Russo

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Microsoft Edge's Enhanced Security Mode is not depended on any AV. It's a security feature of the browser itself as well as enforcing some OS related exploit features and it works with any AV you use.
If I understand correctly, it blocks only the exploits?
If so, I don't see the point if you don't use Microsoft Defender 🙄
Exploit protection is a built-in security features of the OS. It's not depended on MD or other AVs.
1.png
Learn more about Enhanced Security Mode, formerly known as Super Duper Secure Mode, here:

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
ZA also has free one:
I am familiar with ZA firewall, free one, back to 2003. Isn't it better than Comodo or others you mentioned?

I never liked ZA..
I find it rather heavy, and not very explicit....

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and amirr

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.