Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Cleaner: CCleaner with CCEnhancer / My Own
Defragmenter: Auslogics Disk Defrag
Updater: FileHippo Updater / Sumo
Uninstaller: IObit Uninstaller Free
Encryption: Truecrypt
Startup Manager: Autoruns
Backup: Macrium Reflect Free, Wuala for syncing important files, and Dropbox for group sharing
Password Manager: Keepass 2.xx

What do you guys think?
~Updated August 4 2013~

D

Deleted member 178

you are all good, maybe you can add EMET (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2458544) and Secunia PSI instead of Filehippo (http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/) it is based more on the security aspect than just the updates.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
FileHippo Update Checker is still a good choice. It can detect out-dated versions of Auslogics Disk Defrag, not sure if Secunia PSI can do this?

Since Chrome is bundled with Flash Player and updates silently, this renders Secunia PSI useless. Unless you disable Google updates.

It also depends what other third-party software is installed and whether they have their own updaters, such as Adobe Reader and/or Java.

D

Deleted member 178

i dont know for auslogic because i dont use it. i installed flash player 10 and 11 so they are listed and it told me when to i need to update them.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Im going to try EMET out later and doesnt secunia psi add a background process? and i have flash installed and google chrome, should i uninstall the one i installed if google chrome comes with it? i keep google update enabled and i also have Java installed for school

D

Deleted member 178

yes secunia add a service, it run permanently. you should keep the one in chrome.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you have Secunia PSI running all the time, it runs 3 processes and a service or two (not quite sure).

If you have Flash Player installed for Firefox or Internet Explorer and don't use them, then you can uninstall them, or update them to Adobe Flash Player 11 (now support IE9 64-bit).

D

Deleted member 178

Earth said:
If you have Secunia PSI running all the time, it runs 3 processes and a service or two (not quite sure).

right, 3 proc (around 12mb) and 2 services.

If you have Flash Player installed for Firefox or Internet Explorer and don't use them, then you can uninstall them, or update them to Adobe Flash Player 11 (now support IE9 64-bit).

it is what i did. running v11

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Thats not bad for usage, i will try it out tonight when i try EMET, and i will probably be uninstalling flash for IE since i dont use it at all, i only use the flash v11 for chrome

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
I got Secunia PSI installed and picked up my hp updater that was out of date for my printer which i probably wouldnt have found out otherwise, i think im going to keep using it with my filehippo updater for now :)

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Can someone post a link so what I should add to emet and how i should configure it?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
http://rationallyparanoid.com/articles/microsoft-emet-2.html

This link was posted in our forums long time before.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Ive been thinking about trying other web browsers, any recommendations of which browsers and why? Opera looks like a good browser, but does it keep up with Firefox and Chrome performance and security wise?

D

Deleted member 178

any browser running in Sandboxie is "secure", but i personally prefer using Comodo dragon (chrome baserd, anti-phishing and privacy features and secure DNS activated) in sandboxie.

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
i might take a look at comodo dragon, i've heard of it before but never actually stopped and checked it out

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
Removed secunia psi, wasnt working properly and figured i didnt need it that much, ill probably stick to chrome also, i like it the most out of all browsers, and has anyone heard of NotScripts im wondering if itd be worth adding to chrome

D

Deleted member 178

i try it for chrome (ScriptNo) , removed it, it work less easier than for firefox

imsoadude

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Feb 21, 2011
So have you tried NotScripts tho, ScriptNo looks like it could be easier with the interface of the pop ups

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.