Industry Aggravated Over Another Botched Windows 10 Upgrade

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
Microsoft now faces questions over how these updates have caused big issues, and why the company didn’t pick them up in testing. These questions are especially relevant as it appears Microsoft was warned about both of these major bugs before the company shipped the April and October 2018 updates. Reports of the desktop freezing bug were submitted multiple times by testers earlier this year, but don’t appear to have been flagged as a bigger problem because they weren’t up voted.

Can we get a smiley on this forum for "shaking my head" or an animated head-bang?

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
And, btw, stop whining here. If you are that much smarter than MS go and takeover their CEO job and overhaul the entire MS OS. Period.
Windows is a product owned by Microsoft and thus it is Microsoft's responsibility. If a customer gets hit with a borked update, that isn't the customers fault, it is Microsoft's fault because the borked update was created and released by Microsoft.

If you go out and purchase a brand new car which turns out to have a faulty hand-break which was not identified during testing (or was warned about to the car vendor who did nothing about it regardless), and you almost die in road-traffic and several others with you because the hand-break gets jammed and doesn't work as it is supposed to, who's fault is that? Based on your logic, the fault would be yours as the driver, even after the car being brand new and having been told it passed all the tests.

You can have a contingency plan in that example... the airbag. It doesn't change the fact that you were sold a dangerously faulty car which could have caused severe destruction in the worst outcome.

Last edited by a moderator:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Windows is a product owned by Microsoft and thus it is Microsoft's responsibility. If a customer gets hit with a borked update, that isn't the customers fault, it is Microsoft's fault because the borked update was created and released by Microsoft.

If you go out and purchase a brand new car which turns out to have a faulty hand-break which was not identified during testing (or was warned about to the car vendor who did nothing about it regardless), and you almost die in road-traffic and several others with you because the hand-break gets jammed and doesn't work as it is supposed to, who's fault is that? Based on your logic, the fault would be yours as the driver, even after the car being brand new and having been told it passed all the tests.

You can have a contingency plan in that example... the airbag. It doesn't change the fact that you were sold a dangerously faulty car which could have caused severe destruction in the worst outcome.
Can you make a proper comparison?

MS OS is a product known to have issues over the years with each release. If you insists to use the next new release then you must prepare yourself of possible risks that will come with it, no? Do you not take precautions like

1) perform only manual update
2) wait for sometime before performing the update
3) backup your current system before performing the new update
4) don't update
5) others

and blame MS for borking your system? As an early adopter you know you are installing a faulty OS and why are you not taking precautions when the risk is there? Like I previously mentioned even if MS will to test the new release to be 100% perfect in the lab it'll never perform 100% perfectly in the real world.

Make sure your car issue is like MS OSes with problems for every new release before comparing, ok?

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
Your car examples guys.. what other safety measures you speak of if only contact car makes with road is with 4 wheels.. it still holds your life on 4 gum tires if you go 10km/h or 150km/h.. then power outlet might be the culprit of Windows because your computer is powered on by it, why you don't blame it? Some call for IT's because their PC is not turning on.. LOL

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
Do you not take precautions like
I don't know why you're trying to make this about me and how I cope with borked updates because none of this is about me. My posts aren't angry raging or whining from personal frustration, I'm just stating the obvious.

If Microsoft push out an update and that update is borked, it is no one's fault but Microsoft's.

You're sleeping at night and it is 2am. You hear a window smash open. You get up to check out what is going on and find out that your Television has been robbed. Who's responsible... you for having a Television in your house, or the criminal who robbed your TV? Bear in mind, all of your windows and doors were locked, and it took quite a big force to smash through your window and get in. Obviously the criminal is the one responsible.

Now let's look at Windows.

You're minding your own business playing some Call of Duty Black Ops Multiplayer with Steam when suddenly you get a notification telling you that Windows has installed updates on your Windows 10 Home device and that it will automatically restart soon, but you can postpone it. You go ahead with the restart to get it over and done with. Oh no, its a borked update. Your system is now doing weird things it shouldn't have been doing because of bugs. Oh, what's that? Microsoft were warned about the bugs but still pushed out the update. Oh, what's that? Your files are missing and apps aren't opening properly.

Let me guess, the customer is responsible because they owned a Windows 10 device and aren't a geek user with control of the updates? You know, some people have lives and don't work in the I.T industry, and won't even know what a "security update" is let alone sift through them all and find out which ones are borked or not.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I don't know why you're trying to make this about me and how I cope with borked updates because none of this is about me. My posts aren't angry raging or whining from personal frustration, I'm just stating the obvious.

If Microsoft push out an update and that update is borked, it is no one's fault but Microsoft's.

You're sleeping at night and it is 2am. You hear a window smash open. You get up to check out what is going on and find out that your Television has been robbed. Who's responsible... you for having a Television in your house, or the criminal who robbed your TV? Bear in mind, all of your windows and doors were locked, and it took quite a big force to smash through your window and get in. Obviously the criminal is the one responsible.

Now let's look at Windows.

You're minding your own business playing some Call of Duty Black Ops Multiplayer with Steam when suddenly you get a notification telling you that Windows has installed updates on your Windows 10 Home device and that it will automatically restart soon, but you can postpone it. You go ahead with the restart to get it over and done with. Oh no, its a borked update. Your system is now doing weird things it shouldn't have been doing because of bugs. Oh, what's that? Microsoft were warned about the bugs but still pushed out the update. Oh, what's that? Your files are missing and apps aren't opening properly.

Let me guess, the customer is responsible because they owned a Windows 10 device and aren't a geek user with control of the updates? You know, some people have lives and don't work in the I.T industry, and won't even know what a "security update" is let alone sift through them all and find out which ones are borked or not.
Case 1 - Your house's being robbed.

How far have you secured your house? Say have metal grilles for the windows with chain locks and alarm system?

Case 2 - Windows

Your quoute

"...when suddenly you get a notification telling you that Windows has installed updates on your Windows 10 Home device and that it will automatically restart soon, but you can postpone it. You go ahead with the restart to get it over and done with."

Knowing installing Windows new release is a risk and yet you go ahead without taking precaustions? Are you not digging your grave?

Last edited:
Reactions: Weebarra
E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
How far have you secured your house? Say have metal grilles for the windows with chain locaks and alram system?
Yes, these are for trying to prevent your house from being robbed. However, the underlying person responsible for the damages is the criminal who broke into your home and robbed your personal belongings. You can secure something as much as you like but someone determined enough will always find a way given they have the required resources and skill anyway.

Knowing installing Windows new release is a risk and yet you go ahead without taking precaustions? Are you not digging your grave?
All I am going to say is "Windows 10 Home" and "automatic updates". You know, the automatic update feature that I am pretty sure over at-least 1 million people have enabled? (Since millions use Windows 10).

You'll be greeted with the alert to restart, the update will already be installed and either way it will finalise sooner or later unless you somehow keep your system on for eternity without restarting.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Yes, these are for trying to prevent your house from being robbed. However, the underlying person responsible for the damages is the criminal who broke into your home and robbed your personal belongings. You can secure something as much as you like but someone determined enough will always find a way given they have the required resources and skill anyway.

All I am going to say is "Windows 10 Home" and "automatic updates". You know, the automatic update feature that I am pretty sure over at-least 1 million people have enabled? (Since millions use Windows 10).

You'll be greeted with the alert to restart, the update will already be installed and either way it will finalise sooner or later unless you somehow keep your system on for eternity without restarting.
So you agree that your house in the given example which was broken into wasn't properly secured, right? Of course a determined robber will break into your house in a matter of time but that comes later when he fails to break into initially. And if you do find such attempted entry signs then you should further secure your house.

1 million people automatically enabled the update is their problem. You want to be like them?

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
So you agree that your house in the given example which was broken into wasn't properly secured, right?
Obviously I disagree because your home can be really secure and still broken into. The person responsible for the robbery is the criminal, not the home owner. And it isn't just me who thinks this... the law in pretty much every normal place in the world will agree and the criminal will be the one getting punished.

The logic in this thread is the same as the following.

"A young female who lost her license for drink driving gets in her car and drives down the road, accidentally hitting several people on the way down without realising. The car is stopped after it crashes into a tree. The driver survives. The damage of those innocent people who were walking on the pathway to school but were hit is the responsibility of anyone but the driver who was not supposed to be driving, and the people who were injured should have taken precautions to not be hit by a car whilst walking on the legal pathway, by wearing indestructible clothing or just locking themselves up in their house for eternity and never going outside."

I have to give it to you though... You're really dedicated to protecting Microsoft. They might have some open positions if you're interested, I'm sure they'll have you if you use this thread as a reference.

Marketing might be an ideal place to look into.

Reactions: Weebarra and Tiny

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Obviously I disagree because your home can be really secure and still broken into. The person responsible for the robbery is the criminal, not the home owner. Nothing will change that.

The logic in this thread is the same as the following.

"A young female who lost her license for drink driving gets in her car and drives down the road, accidentally hitting several people on the way down without realising. The car is stopped after it crashes into a tree. The driver survives. The damage of those innocent people who were walking on the pathway to school but were hit is the responsibility of anyone but the driver who was not supposed to be driving, and the people who were injured should have taken precautions to not be hit by a car whilst walking on the legal pathway, by wearing indestructible clothing or just locking themselves up in their house for eternity and never going outside."

I'm done. :ROFLMAO:
I'm talking of your given example whereby the house was broken into. Please read me right. As a house owner if you are not going to secure your house properly then you deserved to be robbed.

Opening in MS. Nope. I'm not in software line. Just that I'm a MS OS early adopter. I know the risk in using new release.

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
I'm talking of your given example whereby the house was broken into. Please read me right. As a house owner if you are not going to secure your house properly then you deserved to be robbed.
Forget it, I'm done. You can continue the discussion with someone else if they want to continue it, but I can't take this seriously. It is just absolutely absurd.

Tiny

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 29, 2016
The fault is clearly Microsofts. To put it simply, why push out an update that is subpar? Especially when your own testers have shown that it has problems? It's just common sense. Would you serve food to customers if someone told you there was risk a of a salmonella infection in your pastry, or whatever?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Thread author
Would you serve food to customers if someone told you there was risk a of a salmonella infection in your pastry, or whatever?
Wouldn't you serve it if you get amount of cash in return to feed your family or pay for medical treatment needed for your child? Don't tell me you wouldn't if you were in a desperate position.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It is clearly Microsoft responsibility. But, I do not think that Microsoft could avoid such faults. They have it built into the corporate strategy. They know that it would be extremely hard and expensive to make the updates which could work for all hardware & software, with 10 years backward compatibility. They know that it is less expensive to do what they do and loose some court cases.

If they wanted to push 100% No-Bug Updates then we all here were on the Vista stage. Microsoft simply is copying what Evolution does from billions years. They do not create the perfect thing, but something that should work. Next, some things die and some survive. Survivors are enhanced to fit the customers' needs.

The same is with Microsoft protection. They do not want to create impenetrable security. They simply try to make the attacks not profitable for criminals. So, the best anti-exploit protection is not the WD Exploit Guard, but the Windows Bounty Program (Bounty payouts can range from $500 USD to $250,000 USD).

So what to do? The same thing we do when driving the car. Do not try to be the first.:giggle:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
The fault is clearly Microsofts. To put it simply, why push out an update that is subpar? Especially when your own testers have shown that it has problems? It's just common sense. Would you serve food to customers if someone told you there was risk a of a salmonella infection in your pastry, or whatever?
My reply is that although the issue was reported by beta testers probably it's far and few and that's why it didn't caught the attention of the decision makers to release the new update.

E

Eddie Morra

Thread author
If Microsoft stopped trying to add new features before they can maintain what they already have in a stable manner then they'd be in a much better position. Stop giving me cloud clipboard and fix the issues with the past 50 additions you snuck into my environment from the previous update. Then when it is all working well and reported as stable, look into a new feature...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.