Advice Request Internet connection slowdown with Kaspersky

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I love Kaspersky, but I am suffering Internet connection slowdown to download games at Steam/Rockstar or any other launcher, even updates.

I use Kaspersky on my gaming machine and never noticed extreme slowdowns like this, Steam download graphic doesn't go smoothly and begin stopping and coming back download or stop completely, reinstall Windows without Kaspersky (only Windows Defender) and everthing goes smootly and download doesn't even stops. Therefore it's not my Internet.

It's annoying, I can't even download a game without clicking each 15/30 min to resume download because Internet connection went zero.

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
Hi there!!
No problems here also!!
Just had few issues regarding Edge syncing, but that's my fault bcs I have been playing with Kas firewall to block M$ telemetry as much as possible
But slowdown, 0 for me! Even with extensions and script injection I can't feel any difference
Have you tried resetting Kas settings? Just as an idea (but first backup your current settings)
Cheers!

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
I love Kaspersky, but I am suffering Internet connection slowdown to download games at Steam/Rockstar or any other launcher, even updates.

I use Kaspersky on my gaming machine and never noticed extreme slowdowns like this, Steam download graphic doesn't go smoothly and begin stopping and coming back download or stop completely, reinstall Windows without Kaspersky (only Windows Defender) and everthing goes smootly and download doesn't even stops. Therefore it's not my Internet.

It's annoying, I can't even download a game without clicking each 15/30 min to resume download because Internet connection went zero.

Weird! What does your Task Manager look like when doing a large download?

I can still pull a gigabit on my Core i7 8770K but that's a beefy machine and it occupies nearly 100% of a core trying to do that. Network scanning is a bit costly.

Brahman

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013

if there is an "https" / web scanning protection in KS, disable it and try. Too many out going connections like torrents or simultaneous downloads can slow down the net traffic in an old system with real-time "https" scanning / filtering protocol. Using an ssd instead of hdd as boot drive can sometime improve the performance of network filtering or use two different drives, using second drive as download location thus reducing the burden from OS drive .

Last edited:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I'm not a gamer nor never used Steam so I can't help You there...

You may try to disable WebAV temporally and check if still get the slowdown...

Also You may add the URL to Trusted URLs in WebAV, in NetWork settings add the URL to Exclusions of Encrypted Connections, if using Private Browsing + Anti-Banner, also add the URL to their exclusions...

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
if there is an "https" / web scanning protection in KS, disable it and try. Too many out going connections like torrents or simultaneous downloads can slow down the net traffic in an old system with real-time "https" scanning / filtering protocol. Using an ssd instead of hdd as boot drive can sometime improve the performance of network filtering or use two different drives, using second drive as download location thus reducing the burden from OS drive .
I do it all, it's a PC gamer and I have SSD and HDD.

I do notice things getting better by disabling https scanning, but still nothing compared before installing Kaspersky :(

Well... it's pretty clear what is going on here.
your connection is busy sending data to Putin.
hahahhaa I always had Kaspersky on that machine and never noticed such slowdown. Maybe servers slower because quarantine/COVID? I don't know, I'm testing to see if something else is causing this.

Reactions: Stopspying

fabiobr

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I'm not a gamer nor never used Steam so I can't help You there...

You may try to disable WebAV temporally and check if still get the slowdown...

Also You may add the URL to Trusted URLs in WebAV, in NetWork settings add the URL to Exclusions of Encrypted Connections, if using Private Browsing + Anti-Banner, also add the URL to their exclusions...
I didn't try that, I'll try.

I test disabling protection but didn't feel anything better like before, only uninstalling Kaspersky makes everything backs to normal. But never tried disabling some components, only https scanning.

I'm testing again with a clean machine without Kaspersky to try if installing my usual programs will cause this again, so I can figured out with 99% sure if Kaspersky is really causing this.

Last edited:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Kaspersky's https scanning, code injection and anti-banner are known to slow down internet browsing speed and increase CPU usage
after disabling those 3, we will definitely feel some improvements
by the way, in this period, internet is slow due to the corona virus => increase the URL lookup time from your location to Kaspersky's servers -> slower
this happened to me when I use Bitdefender Trafficlight with unstable internet connection. My browser was almost unusable when I had the extension. Removing it improved the situation

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
No problem with Kaspersky IS. Here in Italy, but also in Europe, after the lockdown there were several network problems (so much so that large companies such as Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, YouTube etc were asked to lower the video quality to preserve the network.)

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
by the way, in this period, internet is slow due to the corona virus => increase the URL lookup time from your location to Kaspersky's servers
I've explained this to quite a lot of non-techy friends recently, as being one of numerous factors that are slowing the internet response times currently, intelligent people who don't seem to get that the internet also has good and bad days.

DSD27

Level 5
Well-known
Apr 15, 2020
Kaspersky Security Cloud is very light and has a game mode, Avast free is not as light for general use, but has a better game mode that suspends all non-gaming user processes, it really works, it improves your frames even better than not having an antivirus. I think both are a better option than Panda, Panda isn't great...

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.