JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I cannot run IE 11 , I can only access to Google home page.
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
None
Hello
I cannot run IE 11 , I can only access to Google home page.
Can you help me ? :eek:
IE1.PNG

IE2.PNG

IE3.PNG

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
@JB007 It sounds as you have some corruption taking place. I would personally either run the same commands via a bootable windows 10 "media creation tool" or i would utilize an external source to back up what i need too and use that same copy of the media tool to wipe and reinstall windows 10 cleanly.
Thanks @illumination :)
Hum, it's difficult for me to reinstall Windows 10 cleanly because this PC is my business PC and it will take too time for me to reinstall my professional softwares:(
Actually I can use my PC. Do you think it is risky ?
Do you think that the next Windows RS update release will repair my Windows ?

Reactions: oldschool
Upvote 0
I

illumination

Thanks @illumination :)
Hum, it's difficult for me to reinstall Windows 10 cleanly because this PC is my business PC and it will take too time for me to reinstall my professional softwares:(
Actually I can use my PC. Do you think it is risky ?
Do you think that the next Windows RS update release will repair my Windows ?
When dealing with corruption, it is always risky. Try to use a bootable windows 10 flashdrive to run those scans again. I would remove any security applications like NVT OSA before doing so. If this fails, i would strongly recommend wiping it and starting fresh, especially with a business machine.

Make sure to back up your important work/personal items before proceeding any further regardless of what option you decide to take.

Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 69673

@JB007 Why are you using Internet Explorer 11?

They changed it on Windows 10, IE is no longer listed there.

Instead:
  • Windows Settings > Apps > Manage Optional Features > Scroll down to Internet Explorer > Uninstall.
  • Reboot PC.
  • Windows Settings > Apps > Manage Optional Features > Add Feature > Scroll down to Internet Explorer > Install

I have windows 10 home and it is still there.

Reactions: oldschool and JB007
Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
@illumination I missed that one, somehow...

@JB007 can you translate those into english? What's it actually saying? Is something blocking it or it can't resolve? Go through event viewer, & analyze everything internet explorer related & sum it up then post here.
Hello @yitworths , thanks for your help:)
I'm very busy this morning so I will post in English ASAP.
There is nothing on event viewer about IE
IEobs1.PNG

@JB007 you've run a sfc /sannow but if possible can ya go through cbs.log to find which couldn't be repaired. btw, I'm considering there are some system files corruptions based upon illumination's comment in post #20.
I don't know what is "cbs.log", can you explain to me ?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
I

illumination

@JB007

cbs.log is the log generated by the sfc scannow you run.

It is located in the %windir%\Logs\CBS folder

Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following command, and hit Enter:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
@JB007

cbs.log is the log generated by the sfc scannow you run.

It is located in the %windir%\Logs\CBS folder

Click Start, type cmd in the Start Search box, right-click cmd in the Programs list, and then click Run as administrator.

Type the following command, and hit Enter:
findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Thanks @illumination , I found cbs.log but I don't know what I search?:emoji_flushed:

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Hello @yitworths , thanks for your help:)
I'm very busy this morning so I will post in English ASAP.
There is nothing on event viewer about IE
View attachment 193574

I don't know what is "cbs.log", can you explain to me ?
Thanks.

Re-produce the issue & then look through custom views(Administrative Events) or windows logs(application & system) under event viewer. You will find the reason, I believe. Just look for error & warnings...

I found cbs.log but I don't know what I search?

As, you have run sfc /scannow, it will try to repair your system if there is any violation in data integrity. & if it fails to repair anything it will log that in cbs.log. Anyway, if there is no data integrity violation you don't have to go through cbs.log.

btw, when did you first notice this problem?

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
Re-produce the issue & then look through custom views(Administrative Events) or windows logs(application & system) under event viewer. You will find the reason, I believe. Just look for error & warnings...

As, you have run sfc /scannow, it will try to repair your system if there is any violation in data integrity. & if it fails to repair anything it will log that in cbs.log. Anyway, if there is no data integrity violation you don't have to go through cbs.log.

btw, when did you first notice this problem?
Hi @yitworths , I first noticed 23 July 2018 but I did not use IE11 as my default browser, so it is possible that the issue started before this date.
cbs.log seems "clean"
I found a system integrity event at the time I try to use again IE11:
IEevents1.PNG

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
Hi @yitworths , I first noticed 23 July 2018 but I did not use IE11 as my default browser, so it is possible that the issue started before this date.
cbs.log seems "clean"
I found a system integrity event at the time I try to use again IE11:
View attachment 193582

please run IE again to reproduce that issue after that go through Administrative Events under event viewer vmware_2018-07-26_18-44-29.png.

Upvote 0

yitworths

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
May 31, 2015
I run again IE at 15h26 and there is not any event on Administrative Events at this date time:
View attachment 193586

don't get me wrong but my french is limited to "Vive la France". So, if possible please make it english. I can wait for a while... & by the way there are number of errors, please check which are IE related & what those are saying.

Upvote 0

JB007

Level 26
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
don't get me wrong but my french is limited to "Vive la France". So, if possible please make it english. I can wait for a while... & by the way there are number of errors, please check which are IE related & what those are saying.
Merci @yitworths ;)
Even if my French understanding is better then your but I don't understand this "jargon" ;) The only thing is that they are all about "Distributed COM".
All this events occured before I run again IE, so it is sure that they are not related to Internet Explorer.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.