IObit is Scummy

B

BVLon

@BVLon Since you have been testing security features and are using BitDefender trafficlight I assume you already know this. But just in case

I already commented on that somewhere in the forum, I believe under my security configuration. I am not using Avast and AVG either. It was long time ago when AVG clearly stated in a one-page privacy policy that they will be selling data. They didn't even try to hide it.

B

BVLon

I remember it perfectly, because it was something very brazen.
But it was so clear, considering how fast the company grew. Qihoo and some others are powerful Chinese companies, so maybe they do collect, maybe they don't. But I've never in my life seen anyone who's using a PAID Avast product.... everyone gets the free version. Where they got all the profit from?

Regarding the Bitdefender claims, I happen to know 4 of BD's big managers and lots of other people from the company and I can tell you that they are on of the most honest and hardworking companies out there. They are also the fastest growing in this market. BD makes insane amount of profit by leasing their engine, patents, products and even areas that you do not know they are involved in. They've got 0-interest in selling anyone's online search results.. If they do any sort of tracking and collection, that's to improve their services. I am not commenting on BD's detection rates, stability or quality.
Regarding how Ethical they are tho, I will argue with you like there is no tomorrow. I don't wanna read BS about this company.

Last edited by a moderator:

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
But it was so clear, considering how fast the company grew. Qihoo and some others are powerful Chinese companies, so maybe they do collect, maybe they don't. But I've never in my life seen anyone who's using a PAID Avast product.... everyone gets the free version. Where they got all the profit from?
"Well supposedly." The thing about Qihoo is that the benefits are because they have a widely used browser in China and offered the antivirus for keeping up with the competition.
Avast is another story.

F

ForgottenSeer 85911

Microsoft's documentation is literally half of Microsoft's website and all over the web. Have you been interested in reading it?

you consider docs.microsoft proper documentation ?
you got a funny sense about what is proper documentation
most IT pros agree Microsoft's documentation is atrocious

Reactions: [correlate]
B

BVLon

Versus
Qihoo Support Page: How can we help? | 360 Total Security

IOBit's no.1 product support page: Advanced SystemCare User Manual
I have to admit at first glance it doesn't contain grammar mistakes. That's an improvement

WiseVector doesn't even have a support or UK-Based page.

most IT pros agree Microsoft's documentation is atrocious
They do? And who are these "Most IT Pros"?

Really ?

Please give me their names so I can ask them if they know you.

Thanks

I won't even dignify that with a response.

Burrito

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
Do not trust any chinese software, be it a system utility, antivirus or whatever.
Over the years I've seen tens of chinese antiviruses - Rising, Tencent, Baidu, Qihoo, Kingsoft... all of them are shady, all of them collect and sell data. All of them poorly documented. I don't install anything that doesn't come with proper help files and explanation.

This is largely true. It's just unpopular sentiment around here.

edit: Chinese mfrs have been caught many times since even the earliest Shenzhen days with their implanted backdoors, embed surveil software and firmware, keyloggers but yet the world continues to use Chinese made devices :unsure:
that is stupid as it gets

True.

B

BVLon

you obviously have not been to any conferences

yah, ok
because i can literally make a call or walk across the floor or take an elevator to their office and ask
Microsoft's documentation is a far cry from being perfect, but it is by no means non-existent. I will not keep going on and on with you on the same subject.
Chinese software's documentation consists of 5-10 lines, with most of the features not even mentioned. For example, could you tell me what Qihoo 360' s abnormality detection system is, how it works and what are the benefits?

10.6.0.1283Dec 11, 2019
  • Added: Abnormality Sensing System -???
  • Improved: Solve potential program crashes
  • Fixed: Bug fixes

Regarding BD, if you are able to make a call or walk in to the office, you should know what kind of company they are.

B

BVLon

This is largely true. It's just unpopular sentiment around here.

True.
Furthermore, no system utility's got any actual and proven benefit and that's mostly what IOBit is selling. I do not wish to comment on the MB vs IOBit case, but it's worth mentioning that back then, I clearly remember laughing the hell out at the IOBit statement that they detect and block more than everyone else, and there are loads of reviews that can prove it.
No one in their right mind would even download MF, leave alone testing it. It has been reviewed 2-3 times in >10 years and ratings are ~2** or less.
MF is not present in any independent lab tests.

There are several reasons why IOBit might state that and these include:
A) IOBit doesn't know that they've got a lot of competition and believes they are the only company doing AV software. Perhaps that's how far their knowledge and expertise go.

B) IOBit really believes they are offering a quality solution, since they've purchased the BD SDK and BD constantly gets top marks. IOBit however, doesn't know about BHAVE/AVC/ATC/ATD and all other BD fundamentals.

C) The employee that's come up with that statement, has mixed alcohol with meds and that has led to delusions.

I am sure I can find the IOBit statement, if needed. And if they haven't done the smartest thing (deleting it).

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
To be fair, despite their business practices, they make some very good software. Advanced SystemCare is safer to use then CCleaner or Wise Care 365, because it won't delete valid registry keys. IObit Uninstaller, is one of the best uninstallers.
You're saying ASC is better than Wise Care 365? I have used them both and it's not even a contest, Wise Care blows ASC away.

F

ForgottenSeer 823865

@BVLon you have to distinguish marketing statements from true facts.
Marketing is all about over-exaggerating things to sell more. It is unbarely naive to bring marketing statement as arguments into a debate about efficiency/quality.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
You're saying ASC is better than Wise Care 365? I have used them both and it's not even a contest, Wise Care blows ASC away.
Wise Care 365 will often think that valid registry keys are errors and delete them. Advanced SystemCare doesn't, which makes it safe to use.

WiseCare will be safe to use if you don't use the registry cleaner or you manually look at the scan results and uncheck any valid registry keys found. Otherwise it has the potential to cause issues.
Where is your proof that any of them is actually offering a quality solution with your privacy in mind?
How did you decide they don't steal? You've inspected every line of code and compared it to others?
It's really simple. Here are some examples. Driver Booster does not find the exact same driver updates as any other driver updater. Advanced SystemCare does not suggest the same tweaks or suggest to disable the same startup items as any other system utility. Its registry cleaner does not give the same results as any other registry cleaner. IObit Uninstaller does not give the same scan results as any other uninstaller. It even has the ability to scan for leftovers after a reboot, something which no other uninstaller offers.

These indicate, that they are not stealing code from others.

Here are some actual examples of stealing. Chinese antivirus MajorAV which offers the exact same tweaks as Wise Care 365 (which is also from China) does. Some of the notifications in Glarysoft's Malware Hunter, have been copied word for word from 360 Total Security.
I am more curious to find out how these guys know which registry keys are valid.
And if they do know what's valid and invalid, why are they in a need of a reg cleaner or uninstaller?
If you see a registry key that points to a file or folder that does exist on the computer, clearly it is not an error and should not be detected as one. An exception to this is that some programs reference folders that are not created when the software is installed, but are only created when they are needed and it's important to differentiate between both.

There are many thousands of registry keys in the registry. It would take many hours to manually examine every registry key.

B

BVLon

@BVLon you have to distinguish marketing statements from true facts.
Marketing is all about over-exaggerating things to sell more. It is unbarely naive to bring marketing statement as arguments into a debate about efficiency/quality.

It wasn't marketing.
The above-mentioned statement was supposed to prove that IOBit is an honest company, offering quality-solutions that did not steal anyone's DB.
The very same statement opens with an obvious lie. Should I keep reading what's bellow that statement and believe it, or should I just conclude that MalwareBytes or Malware Bytes (dunno how it's stylized) is right, and IOBit "borrowed" from their modest database?

B

BVLon

Wise Care 365 will often think that valid registry keys are errors and delete them. Advanced SystemCare doesn't, which makes it safe to use.

WiseCare will be safe to use if you don't use the registry cleaner or you manually look at the scan results and uncheck any valid registry keys found. Otherwise it has the potential to cause issues.

It's really simple. Here are some examples. Driver Booster does not find the exact same driver updates as any other driver updater. Advanced SystemCare does not suggest the same tweaks or suggest to disable the same startup items as any other system utility. Its registry cleaner does not give the same results as any other registry cleaner. IObit Uninstaller does not give the same scan results as any other uninstaller. It even has the ability to scan for leftovers after a reboot, something which no other uninstaller offers.

These indicate, that they are not stealing code from others.

Here are some actual examples of stealing. Chinese antivirus MajorAV which offers the exact same tweaks as Wise Care 365 (which is also from China) does. Some of the notifications in Glarysoft's Malware Hunter, have been copied word for word from 360 Total Security.

If you see a registry key that points to a file or folder that does exist on the computer, clearly it is not an error and should not be detected as one. An exception to this is that some programs reference folders that are not created when the software is installed, but are only created when they are needed and it's important to differentiate between both.

There are many thousands of registry keys in the registry. It would take many hours to manually examine every registry key.
Due to your calmness and willingness to engage and explain, I will accept your opinion. And yes, the whole Glarysoft product looks like a 360 knock-off. I thought it's actually 360 licensed, someone then informed me that it's not.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.