Advice Request iPhone 20w charger

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Manifestation

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 23, 2022
Hello,

First, I hope this is the right place to ask this.

I have iPhone 11 which did not come with a charger (slim box). Unfortunately, it is impossible to buy a charger directly from Apple where I live. Thus, I had to buy one from a local store for about $19.

I really need to make sure that the charger is original as I do not want it to damage the battery.

I do appreciate your help and thank you in advance.
C9DA5686-0906-48BB-BCD9-82826FA8E750.jpeg

Reactions: Nevi and Shadowra

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
That charger looks like the real thing. Where did you buy it from? There are fakes aplenty especially online but an authorised retailer should be able to give you a genuine charger.

Manifestation

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 23, 2022
That charger looks like the real thing. Where did you buy it from? There are fakes aplenty especially online but an authorised retailer should be able to give you a genuine charger.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it. I am from Gaza, Palestine and there are no authorized resellers, unfortunately. I got the charger from a local store (one of the most reputable stores in the city). But it is just their words and I am mot sure if it is indeed original.

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
You won't damage the battery even with another charger :)
You just risk having a slow charge or an iPhone that doesn't charge.

For your charger, I can't tell you, but I don't think so...
On my iPhone 13 Pro max, I have a 25W charger from Ugreen bought on Amazon which works very well ;)

Manifestation

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 23, 2022
You won't damage the battery even with another charger :)
You just risk having a slow charge or an iPhone that doesn't charge.

For your charger, I can't tell you, but I don't think so...
On my iPhone 13 Pro max, I have a 25W charger from Ugreen bought on Amazon which works very well ;)
Thanks for the reply. Actually the charger just works as intended. It charges the phone from %20 to %85 in about 50 mins. I believe Ugreen chargers are available on Aliexpress. Do you recommend this brand? What about Anker?

Reactions: Nevi and Shadowra

Manifestation

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 23, 2022
@Manifestation yes, what @Shadowra says is right. If the iPhone doesn't 'approve' of the charger it will show an error or charge slowly. If it is not genuine you may face issues with longevity and adherence to electrical safety standards.
As for speed, the charger is fast. It does not overheat, but for safety reasons I need to make sure it is original. I watched tens of videos on YT, but they're just confusing and I started to feel that they are making things up.

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
In my opinion that's a fake Apple charger.
1. The fonts aren't uniformly aligned. Look at the words "technology" and "...B15AB". The word technology is way closer to the border of the charger than the serial number. Apple doesn't do that. On my original Apple charger, everything is uniform. Moreover on the original charger, the fonts are smaller and not that closer to the edge.
2. Another thing to note is the fonts on the charger that I have is extremely light.
3. Between equipment. and Made there should've been a space. In your pix, it's "equipment.Made". On my charger it's "equipment. Made"

Manifestation

Level 1
Thread author
Dec 23, 2022
In my opinion that's a fake Apple charger.
1. The fonts aren't uniformly aligned. Look at the words "technology" and "...B15AB". The word technology is way closer to the border of the charger than the serial number. Apple doesn't do that. On my original Apple charger, everything is uniform. Moreover on the original charger, the fonts are smaller and not that closer to the edge.
2. Another thing to note is the fonts on the charger that I have is extremely light.
3. Between equipment. and Made there should've been a space. In your pix, it's "equipment.Made". On my charger it's "equipment. Made"
Thank you very much for the details. Now I believe I should ditch it and buy a Ugreen or Anker one. It is not worth the hassle to take the risk of using a non-genuine charger. Thanks again.

Reactions: Nevi and R2D2

R2D2

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Aug 7, 2017
I have been charging my current and previous iPhones with Anker chargers and lightning cables (also use Amazon Basic) for many years now and never had a problem. In my experience, 3rd party cables last longer than the Apple cable and all my Apple chargers are older ones (10W/2A?). :) But I think I shall make the leap to a 20W one of these days from an Apple authorised retailer in my city. No online purchases for me.

@Manifestation when you're in doubt about a charger just keep it aside it's simply not worth the risk. If possible ask the store for a refund or an exchange with Anker or another recommended 3rd party charger.

Last edited:

Myna

Level 10
Verified
Jan 16, 2014
Thank you very much for the details. Now I believe I should ditch it and buy a Ugreen or Anker one. It is not worth the hassle to take the risk of using a non-genuine charger. Thanks again.
Yea, you should return that and buy a charger from a different brand. Don't use this. I'm attaching a photo of my charger, so that you know what to look for in an original apple charger, in case you find one.

IMG_0289.jpg

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
You can go with the Redington 20w (authorised Apple reseller in the UAE).

Personally I am using Wemiss mini 20w and i do truly recommend it.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.