Advice Request Is 360 Total Security development dead? Last update on website dated May [2021-05-26]

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
I believe that devellopent of 360 ts is not dead , since they are at version 10.8.0.1371 I believe. the website / version history is not updated anymore , but I do not know why , maybe shortage on staff? I do beliieve that @roger_m did sent customer support an email regading this issue ,but did not recieve an answer yet.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
360 Total Security is still being updated. They have released five versions since the last version listed on their website. The current version, 10.8.0.1371, was released on the 30th of July. As @Nautilus mentioned, I contacted 360 about providing changelogs for the newest versions, but received no reply.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
just tried it a few days ago. I could not find bitdefender or avira engines in this product. It used its own engines -> too bad
not sure if I downloaded the wrong product but I'm sure I wasn't

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
just tried it a few days ago. I could not find bitdefender or avira engines in this product. It used its own engines -> too bad
not sure if I downloaded the wrong product but I'm sure I wasn't
They ditched both of those and added their own engine called KunPeng. I don't think this matters too much, as 360 TS is usually one of the first antiviruses to detect new threats, from its own heuristics and signatures.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
360 was a promissing product in the beginning days with avira and bitdefender , to bad the decided to ditch both , in favor of the kunpeng engine , which is not updated so often. also they are notorious for whitelisting chinese adware. their customer suport was not as terrible in the beginning as they are right now , they don''t even bother to reply to emails , even the premium customers rarly get a reply from them. I guess their main focus lies on their chinese customers , I hope I am wrong , but I honestly thing it won't be long before the internationl version will dissapear slowly.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
They ditched both of those and added their own engine called KunPeng. I don't think this matters too much, as 360 TS is usually one of the first antiviruses to detect new threats, from its own heuristics and signatures.
they do detect malwares first but they also miss so many. Avira engine covers the rest. I think they matches perfectly. Avira rarely misses old malwares
now they have removed avira, it means to me that this product is more susceptible

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Q360 on the whole is a fine product that yields decent protection. Although I've been fond of Q in the past, things change. Sadly computer security has joined other areas in being greatly politicized, and one must lump Q into this nasty mix.

Without getting into any specifics, I'll just give a Word to the Wise- unless one has an overwhelming need to install Q it would be preferable to evaluate other products.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Q360 on the whole is a fine product that yields decent protection. Although I've been fond of Q in the past, things change. Sadly computer security has joined other areas in being greatly politicized, and one must lump Q into this nasty mix.

Without getting into any specifics, I'll just give a Word to the Wise- unless one has an overwhelming need to install Q it would be preferable to evaluate other products.
After HK Annex by China....as I remember :censored:

Nightwater

Level 2
Jan 26, 2021
How dare you use this kind of program? this thing is not even a real antivirus, it's an ad propagator and personal data collector, in mid 2021 and people still don't learn, it's 360, it's comodo, I admire your courage and at the same time I regret that you keep insisting on the same mistake.

Reactions: AtlBo and Nevi

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
How dare you use this kind of program? this thing is not even a real antivirus, it's an ad propagator and personal data collector, in mid 2021 and people still don't learn, it's 360, it's comodo, I admire your courage and at the same time I regret that you keep insisting on the same mistake.
You can configure it as you like, there is no ad pop-ups, there is only apps section where you can download bundleware or their own apps....you can use free version of ts without seeing single ad if you want to

On access antivirus > kungpeng
> scan with avira & bitdefender signatures

i have used their folder protection + sandbox and got nothing bad to say of ts

I bet many people call every single antivirus as data collector even they dont bother to read tos at all

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
I think what you guys are talking about is 360 total security which is a global of 360 anti virus. And I think Reiner is talking about their Chinese version which you can see here: 360官网 -360安全中心 - 360安全软件 - 360智能硬件 - 360智能家居 - 360企业服务(use google translate). This has a both good and bad reputation(while the global one is pretty good in my opnion). I think this is what Reiner said as a "ad propagator" as it will install a bunch unnecessary program and display large number of ads. But that is also understandable as everyone need incomes, if there is no ad how can they live?(there is no paid version of 360 antivirus)

Jaspion

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Jun 5, 2013
I think what you guys are talking about is 360 total security which is a global of 360 anti virus. And I think Reiner is talking about their Chinese version which you can see here: 360官网 -360安全中心 - 360安全软件 - 360智能硬件 - 360智能家居 - 360企业服务(use google translate). This has a both good and bad reputation(while the global one is pretty good in my opnion). I think this is what Reiner said as a "ad propagator" as it will install a bunch unnecessary program and display large number of ads. But that is also understandable as everyone need incomes, if there is no ad how can they live?(there is no paid version of 360 antivirus)
Actually there is a paid version.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It is usually one of the first antiviruses to detect zero-day threats. Not bad for not being a "real antivirus." What personal data does it collect, other than uploading suspicious unknown files so that they can be analysed, which is something all antiviruses do these days? 360 is a good antivirus, but there are better alternatives.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Makes sense, i have just been wondering how 360 ts used to be like cheap like 10 usd / year , but their current premium prices got doubled not so long ago

Is there anything to do with GDPR for global version then

Reactions: AtlBo and Nevi

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Little Knowledge is Dangerous :D

You could try to learn about a product by interacting with it, rather than from the press.

Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I used Q360TS for almost 5 years I guess. It was a very good product design that has been perhaps on some levels victim to the influence of Chinese regulation/law/control(?). It worked well for me, nonetheless. The thing that strikes me most about this program is the absolute raw potential that is sitting idly there in its current form. In the security world, where the slightest form(s) of creativity of innovation can make a program great, Q360TS has stood on the very edge of greatness for so long. Yet the program has never crossed the line into the realm of Kaspersky, Emsisoft, ESET, Bitdefender, or other top programs.

Without influence from the Chinese government, I wonder where this product would be...if it could compete on the same terms as the major providers of computer security. At any rate. I am very happy that it still exists. There is a respectable amount of innovation in the product, and I feel China and Chinese innovators should have a respectable security product in the high levels of respectability for security offerings.

I am using Forticlient/Comodo now, but I would love to be able to switch back to 360, even for a price, if 360 were mainstreamed into a serious top tier security program, where any current and/or past influence of the Chinese government were 100% removed from development and maintenance of the product...

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.