Is good SecureAPlus Premium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
@Sr. Normal When we are doing initial full system scan, we do not seek any 2nd opinion. The initial full system scan take times to complete was due to the size of your data. This process go thru all the files you have on your disk and put it in initial whitelist.

The 2nd opinion will be done when you run new files not in existing whitelist. By this you can be assured that you are running a non malicious file.

Well i'm almost come to an agreement to what was flag could probably resulted from the 2nd opinion scanner (VirusTotal).
But as you have pointed out by doing a full initial system scan SAP does not seek any 2nd opinion. It makes me wonder as in my previous observation it was during the full initial scan that Baidu and Tencent ips was flag by my blacklist program. Could it be a blip at your product (services) end.

My last trial of SAP was perform over a month ago and i rarely have the time to test SAP again if you ask me. I'm seldom active on MalwareTips or any other forums which i used to frequent. Elsewhere i'm using Crystal Security which also uses VirusTotal but no where were these blacklisted ips ever shows up.

I did saved a note however, here's some of the ips which called out. For the info on the very first trial of SAP last year there are some random connections routed to an Australian datacentre.

Could you confirmed that these ips were the ones used in VirusTotal.

180.76.128.21 - Baidu cloud
182.254.218.215 - Tencent Shenzhen
182.254.165.16 - Tecent
203.195.242.231 - Tencent cloud Shenzhen
49.128.47.88 - m1net.com.sg (SecureAplus)

I'm not an expert but i don't trust any programs even they are digitally signed especially with Chinese (China) made programs that requires active internet connection. Several years back i was probably the first few that discovered a hidden trojan rootkit on two seperate (local ISP) Huawei mobile modem softwares embeded in one of the drivers. I confronted a few of my security concious friends and they was not suprised by what i found. About nearly a year later the US Government declares a ban on Huawei products (Government contracts) which posed as a National Security threat.

Another thing i wanted to point out many do not realised that some legitimate programs do contain some sort of spyware program hidden since they are digitally signed they often flag off as safe or they are allowed by the user themselves, they can be .sys, .dlls but seldom .exe.

If anyone do play video games, to prevent cheating some gaming company incorporates bots in their products. If you used cheat bots for example, if you do find chrome.exe in your games directory please delete them you don't want your online account blacklisted.

One important tip for our forum members always update your Internet Explorer even if you do not used it. (As for me i removed IE through the program console) There's a potential loophole that can be exploited. I've seen this happen on two occasion on my client's computers. Luckily for my client, Webroot's Firewall control and identity Shield was able to blocked the leaked.

Webroot does it silently but this can be seen down deep in the log of WRData folder. One thing i reluctant to used Webroot SA on my machine because of the identifiable user information they collected. Parts of the data can be found inside the registry.

Recently my cousin have his savings account wipe out. He accused his wife of stealing... to cut short the story the bank did confirmed it was an outsider job but won't go further to elobrate. This can happen to anyone just be careful and learns to be safe.
I don't up made story... most of them comes from my own experience.

Thanks, sorry the boring off topic...

RLim

Level 3
Verified
Oct 31, 2014
@bitbizket I am not sure if you are right about your observation, but definitely we do not have any collaboration with Tencent and Baidu. And we are not company from China. So perhaps you can conduct the test again and show us if that is the case.

The first release of SecureAPlus is pure Application Whitelisting with offline antivirus without Universal AV, so there is no connection to any server for any reason.

The only connection made is to download the virus definition for the offline antivirus and this definition is hosted by clamav.

Last edited:

bitbizket

Level 3
Jul 26, 2011
@bitbizket I am not sure if you are right about your observation, but definitely we do not have any collaboration with Tencent and Baidu. And we are not company from China. So perhaps you can conduct the test again and show us if that is the case.

The first release of SecureAPlus is pure Application Whitelisting with offline antivirus without Universal AV, so there is no connection to any server for any reason.

The only connection made is to download the virus definition for the offline antivirus and this definition is hosted by clamav.

Yeah, i know SAP is a Singapore based company. I'm not making an acusation or something like that but i felt curious as to why i was connected to those ips.

One of your collegue did mention about SecureAplus adding more AV engines in the future to the Universal Cloud AV and it struck me at that particular time it is possible SAP was doing a test run in this case Baidu and Tencent came to my mind.

About the random ip to an Australian DataCentre it is because one of the Singapore Telco owns them, to sums it up Singtel, Starhub, M1 constitute under one huge umbrella.

I will probably do a re-test if i have the time or any of our forum member may incline to do it. The ips are already listed above.

By the way RLim your previous two limited giveaways license are useless to me once i uninstalled SAP from my machine i can't get them to re-register. Do SAP requires a unique ID(s) or certain machine infos to track down which machine they are installed on as to prevent multiple or illegal usage, for your info i've spoof my Machine IDs from time to time.

Thanks

RLim

Level 3
Verified
Oct 31, 2014
@bitbizket Even if we add more engine in the future, you will not see the traffic go to our partner. You will only see the traffic go to Universal AV. We will consolidate the result and present it to you from Universal AV. The connection between Universal AV and our partner will not be visible to you.

The giveaway that I post on MalwareTips previously have expiry date, thats why you cant use it anymore now.

There is another giveaway running now on another site. If you google it you shall be able to find it. We will run another giveaway on MalwareTips soon, so please looks for it.

You cant spoof the Machine ID as it is protected. If you manage to hack it, it do not do anything good as the machine ID is related to the whitelist submitted to our Universal AV. If you really manage to spoof the Machine ID (again if), you will not get the benefit of the full system scan provided by Universal AV as your machine is not actually being scan.

Only Universal AV provides full scan to your machine in less than 1 minutes, from our understanding. No other solution have this feature at this moment. If you use traditional AV, you will notice that the last full system scan was probably done years ago, possibly when you turn on your machine at wee hours.

With current rate of malwares addition, a lot of antivirus actually miss the fresh malware. Imagine if the malware manage to enter your system when your AV still not able to identify them and manage to stay low to avoid heuristic detection, the malware will stay in your system for a long time if the full system scan never kick in.

With Universal AV this will not happen as the full system scan is done every hour, so you will be sure no malware in your machine with this continuous protection.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I tried SAP but it always said it was waiting for the server, it had trouble doing scans and if it completed a scan I could never get results, in theory it seems like a good idea but in my use it simply didn't function so after a few days of the waiting for server messages I uninstalled, if they fix this I might try it again in the future.

RLim

Level 3
Verified
Oct 31, 2014
@juhful We are experiencing overwhelming installation recently. Apologize for that. We have upgrade Universal AV server to cope with the demands. And also the first full system scan will take few minutes to complete as we need to register all your applications to Universal AV. If you have substantial amount of application in your system, it might take a while to process. Subsequent full system scan will be done within 1 minutes. If you have time, you can try it again.

We recognised now that traditional antivirus cant cope anymore with hundreds of thousands malware being created everyday. You can view the malware exchange sub forum in MalwareTips and you will realised that most vendor will missed fresh malware, one or another. With Application Whitelisting, you can control the execution of application in your machine. If any stealth malware manage to penetrate your system due to application vulnerability or out of date, none of them can execute without you knowing.

Reactions: juhful

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
@juhful We are experiencing overwhelming installation recently. Apologize for that. We have upgrade Universal AV server to cope with the demands. And also the first full system scan will take few minutes to complete as we need to register all your applications to Universal AV. If you have substantial amount of application in your system, it might take a while to process. Subsequent full system scan will be done within 1 minutes. If you have time, you can try it again.

We recognised now that traditional antivirus cant cope anymore with hundreds of thousands malware being created everyday. You can view the malware exchange sub forum in MalwareTips and you will realised that most vendor will missed fresh malware, one or another. With Application Whitelisting, you can control the execution of application in your machine. If any stealth malware manage to penetrate your system due to application vulnerability or out of date, none of them can execute without you knowing.
Thank you for your response, I will try the software again and I will let you know my experience.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013

Reinstalled and all seems to be working well other than a license issue that I messaged you about, I think this program has a lot of potential and am interested to see it develop.

S

Smith83

Thread author
I tried it for just testing purpose, seemed great for the first week, then it slowed my computer down, which is weird because it did not use but 1% Cpu.... I was having delay in typing and my programs were slow to open. After uninstall all is well again. I run a tight ship and know for a fact nothing else was the cause of this. Not sure what it does in the back end..... but I will not use.

RLim

Level 3
Verified
Oct 31, 2014
@Smith83 Can let us know via PM your configuration? Do you run another antivirus? Which version of SecureAPlus did you install?

If you are having existing antivirus, we recommend to install the "No Offline AV" version. If you install full version with Offline AV and another antivirus in resources constraint machine, you will encounter slow down as the SecureAPlus Offline AV and your antivirus will fight for resources to do realtime scanning.

Reactions: Hangtooth
S

Smith83

Thread author
I know not to install another antivirus with another one. I installed the free version, opting not to install clam AV. The only other thing that I run is Zemana Anti Logger Free. That is all that was installed and running with SecureAplus. Like I say it was weird cause the program was only using 1% cpu for most of the time when I checked on it. The issue was not due to ram either cause I have 8 gigs. Something the program does in the back end slowed my machine down, I know for a fact this was the issue, soon as it was uninstalled all was back to normal.

Here is my startup list.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZALFree] "C:\Program Files (x86)\Zemana AntiLogger Free\AntiLogger Free.exe" /MINIMIZED
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CCleaner] "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64.exe" /AUTO

gbswales

Sep 22, 2015
I think this seems quite good if you are experienced enough to understand where files come from and what files you should allow. I had been been using Comodo for some time but was becoming frustrated by how it seemed to block (and delete) any file it didn't trust. Generally this was almost any new or beta software even when from a reliable source. SAP just asks me if I want to run the file leaving me to decide if it is safe or not. This is enough for me because I keep a daily system disk image which I can restore in less than an hour should I get infected. So in short good for those with some experience and good back up - not sure if it is great for newbies (they could run it alongside something else though as it is not resource hungry (unless you install offline mode)

Garry Kruger

Dec 21, 2015
I have been using SecureAPlus on several machines for some time now. I run it without Offline AV together with Bitdefender and Win 10. So far no problems, no slow downs. In fact I forget it's there until I do an update on the OS or other products and it pops up asking whether I want to unblock the updates. It seems reasonable that it should be useful as a sideline program that stops anything from installing without your permission and I don't expect it to detect malware or block bad IPs as that is the job I expect my antivirus (Bitdefender) to handle (which it does really well). So far so good, time will tell.
I tend to ignore individuals who shoot their mouth off and condemn products without much thought. Instead I spend some time researching the product and if it looks reasonable, try it myself. Too many people set themselves up as experts just because they do some IT work and have a keyboard which they can use to post their opinion. Even some people who should know better and are writers for a web site/magazine etc will sometimes voice biased opinions because they don't even know they are biased. I like to take opinions with a "grain of salt" until I have further info that backs it up.

Reactions: Hangtooth
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.