Solved Is it needed to have PeerBlock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 178

many torrents include suspicious IPs (some spying ones from entertainment industries, others from gov agencies and finally some from warez/hackers); peerblock is good if you don't feel major download slowdown but you will surely loose some IPs so maybe less seeders.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
What could be the worst possible thing that will happen when I choose not to use PeerBlock? Thanks guys!

Reactions: Logethica
Upvote 0

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
What Umbra stated is true, I heard from my cousin he lives in US, and his friend is got banned by ISP due downloading illegal torrent, got banned is still luck I guess :D, but not every torrent is illegal though. Using peerblock may come in handy for downloading torrent, but it could also reduce your number of seeders, thus..it might slow down your download speed.

However, the best way to avoid these problems is not using torrent at all, I really recommend it. But still..if you want to use torrent, there is another alternative for peerblock, it's not a software though, it's some kind of web service that can convert your torrent link into http one (direct download like normally on browser) :)

Since you are using VPN, I think it almost unnecessary to use peerblock, because what trackers see is your VPN IP's, not yours, just make sure you use paid VPN that allowing p2p services, because most of VPN provider doesn't allow that. However there is nothing wrong using peerblock while using VPN, just in case ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MrXidus

Super Moderator (Leave of absence)
Apr 17, 2011
I was a user of PeerBlock for a long time but was able to get rid of it after upgrading uTorrent 2.2.1 to Tixati which includes a built-in IP filter.

Picture related:

ZBB9BL2.png

Enable Protocol Encryption both ways in your client and to use a non-US based VPN when doing P2P, better safe than sorry.

9x5mTCm.png

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
it is true , in France it happened already ^^
What Umbra stated is true, I heard from my cousin he lives in US, and his friend is got banned by ISP due downloading illegal torrent, got banned is still luck I guess :D, but not every torrent is illegal though. Using peerblock may come in handy for downloading torrent, but it could also reduce your number of seeders, thus..it might slow down your download speed.

However, the best way to avoid these problems is not using torrent at all, I really recommend it. But still..if you want to use torrent, there is another alternative for peerblock, it's not a software though, it's some kind of web service that can convert your torrent link into http one (direct download like normally on browser) :)

Since you are using VPN, I think it almost unnecessary to use peerblock, because what trackers see is your VPN IP's, not yours, just make sure you use paid VPN that allowing p2p services, because most of VPN provider doesn't allow that. However there is nothing wrong using peerblock while using VPN, just in case ;)
I was just wondering whether streaming free TV programs or movies through a link like vodblocker:cool: (not downloading via Torrent sites) also brings about :eek:tracking of ISPs?:oops: Apart from Peerblock on Utorrent, on a regular ISP connection, would using a VPN or similar extensions such as DoNotTrackMe or Zenmateo_O be recommended? Thanks!:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I was a user of PeerBlock for a long time but was able to get rid of it after upgrading uTorrent 2.2.1 to Tixati which includes a built-in IP filter.

Picture related:

ZBB9BL2.png

Enable Protocol Encryption both ways in your client and to use a non-US based VPN when doing P2P, better safe than sorry.

9x5mTCm.png
What exactly is these filters good for?

Upvote 0

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
The filters block exactly what the filter name suggests.
Blocking the connection to known IPs of individuals or groups you do not want to allow connections to in your P2P client.

PeerBlock will block system wide in any application where as the lists in Tixati will only work in Tixati.

Example, The Anti-P2P / Anti-Infringement lists will block known Anti-P2P organizations IP addresses.

While it's not guaranteed 100% protection from receiving copyright strike letters atleast you're blocking the known IPs of these organizations rather than not having the lists and accepting their connections knowingly.

Best to use a non-US based VPN as well and not just depend on these lists. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Blocking the connection to known IPs of individuals or groups you do not want to allow connections to in your P2P client.

PeerBlock will block system wide in any application where as the lists in Tixati will only work in Tixati.

Example, The Anti-P2P / Anti-Infringement lists will block known Anti-P2P organizations IP addresses.

While it's not guaranteed 100% protection from receiving copyright strike letters atleast you're blocking the known IPs of these organizations rather than not having the lists and accepting their connections knowingly.

Best to use a non-US based VPN as well and not just depend on these lists. Thanks.
So these filters block your IP from showing in the torrent client?

So this gives you a smaller chance to receive a letter from ISP?

Upvote 0

Rahadian Putra

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 28, 2014
I was just wondering whether streaming free TV programs or movies through a link like vodblocker:cool: (not downloading via Torrent sites) also brings about :eek:tracking of ISPs?:oops: Apart from Peerblock on Utorrent, on a regular ISP connection, would using a VPN or extensions such as DoNotTrackMe or Zenmateo_O be recommended? Thanks!:)

Hehe, I'm not sure buddy about that, since different country/ISPs/ different policies, I can't say for sure :confused:
But apart from that, I think using VPN/zenmate extension might be a good idea , and I think it might be a good idea to not using US/UK IP's for downloading torrent/streaming free TV through vodblocker (just in case, I'm not sure streaming TV on vodblocker is illegal though. in fact I have no idea about that >.<) I also read on Cyberghost, torrent is allowed as long as user not using US/UK IPs ex : Netherland.

Upvote 0

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@MrXidus Did you have you manually add those blocklists, if so, is there a guide you can share for us noobs?

At the moment, I use qBittorrent which also includes an IP Blocker, with zero configuration required. (Execution Log > IP Blocked).

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014

Please tell me how you added all or these filters.

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

MrXidus

Apr 17, 2011
@Huracan
@Fantasy

I got the lists from https://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php

As for instructions, I will show you how it's done in Tixati.

Steps:

1) Enable IP Filter feature:

ikPTOlt.png

2) Go to to https://www.iblocklist.com/lists.php and copy the URL from the list you require.

dO5sQOw.png

3)
On the IP Filter tab in Tixati, click the + Add button:

k4miEP5.png

4) Paste in the URL and enter the lists name:

8TaiHmW.png

5) Click OK.

If done right you'll see the list do its work by blocking IPs in that list.

3NXiMt0.png

Just remember, these lists aren't fool proof and only block known IPs.
For the unknown you should use a non-US VPN.

Enjoy.

Upvote 0

FkNutZ

Feb 23, 2015
I am one of the people in the U.S. that got caught when Verizon implemented the 6 strike policy, I was at fiance house and we had missed the 1st 3 episodes of arrow and someone told me to use the utorrent, I only download those 3 episodes and verizon sent a infrigement letter and charged him 500.00 fine, even though they agreed it was only the 1 letter and 3 episodes. now they say that they will be monitoring our computers for sometime to make sure it don't happen again. TWC is doing the same 6 strike policy but they basically said that they are not going to follow through lke verizon did they will send the 1st letter and that is about it. I have TWC at home but still afriad to use a torrents

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.