Advice Request Is it okay to use MS Office 2007 in 2020?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Brahman

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
I have been using ms office 2007, to be exact word 2007 ever since it came out. I have no use for any other thing it offers other than word 2007. I don't want to upgrade because I don't want to spend time studying new functionality in newer versions of office software..( i am lazy enough to take breath at times). So from the security standpoint should I upgrade? I am using windows 10 version 1909, with fsecure safe, Nvt exe radar pro in lock down mode and binisoft front end for windows defender firewall.

EndangeredPootis

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 8, 2019
No antivirus can protect you against all exploits, you should upgrade, also remove NVT exe radar pro as not only is it not needed but it hasnt been updated in, coincidentally, exactly 5 years.

Reactions: DDE_Server

Brahman

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
No antivirus can protect you against all exploits, you should upgrade, also remove NVT exe radar pro as not only is it not needed but it hasnt been updated in, coincidentally, exactly 5 years.
I am using Nvt exe radar version 4 ( beta version 32) which was released last year or so...to be exact Jan 2019..i do believe in a locked down mode.

Reactions: DDE_Server

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
If you only use Word, you could try Softmaker Free. No learning curve, very few nag screens and you get regular security updates.
I replaced LibreOffice which has too many features I don't need by this software suite....

Divine_Barakah

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 10, 2019
If you only use Word, you could try Softmaker Free. No learning curve, very few nag screens and you get regular security updates.
I replaced LibreOffice which has too many features I don't need by this software suite....
Or better use SoftMaker Office which is feature-rich. Get your one-year free subscription (see the giveaway forum).

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I have been using ms office 2007, to be exact word 2007 ever since it came out. I have no use for any other thing it offers other than word 2007. I don't want to upgrade because I don't want to spend time studying new functionality in newer versions of office software..( i am lazy enough to take breath at times). So from the security standpoint should I upgrade? I am using windows 10 version 1909, with fsecure safe, Nvt exe radar pro in lock down mode and binisoft front end for windows defender firewall.
You will probably spend more time thinking about securing Word 2007 than just adopting to another (usually much safer) application. If you do not use complex Word documents, then SoftMaker Office will be OK. Office Online would be even better, but requires sign in to Microsoft account (works in Edge and Chrome).

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
My take:
1. replace NVT with Hard_Configurator and add a default deny in user space and enable documents exploit
2. run ConfigureDefender and set level to HIGH, this includes enabling Windows Defender's Attack Surface Reduction protections for office)
3. Add all Office2007 to Windows Defender exploit protection and enable Code Integrity Guard (on top of ASR protect
4. Finally open trustcenter in all office applications disable Add-ins, Active-X and Macro's
5. When still feeling uncomfortable search for digital licenses (Office 2016 digital licenses are sold for less than 20 dollars).

Windows Defender free antivirus with ASR and Exploit protection for Office programs is one of the best anti-virus products when using Office.

RE:NVT - does not need signatures updates, but needs proper testing to check whether it is (still) compatible after Windows10 updates. The risk of locking yourself out of your PC due to update incompatibility is probably higher than running into an Office exploit with an anti-executable NVT locking down your system. So when you don't mind that risk, forget about the Office 2007 risk :ROFLMAO:

Your Budweisier might taste the same but it is Belgian beer now, as an example that things may look the same but change under the hood (that is when you refer to the former US owned Bud beer and not the original Tsjech Budweiser)

Last edited:

scorpionv

Level 2
Apr 20, 2020
I would not trust abandoned software (support ended in 2017) to be as safe as a regularly maintained product.

If you like the look and feel of Office 2007, I would suggest upgrading to Office 2019. There are quite some changes of course, but the functionality of Office 2007 is still there. If you search around a bit, you can buy an Office 2019 professional lifetime licence for 20-25 euro's.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Another vote for (Softmaker) Free Office.
You can even choose between ribbons or classic menus:
The difference between free and paid:
SoftMaker Office Professional expands upon the features of the standard edition by adding Berlitz dictionaries for translations from/to English, German, French, Italian and Spanish.
It gets regular updates:

EDIT: There are more differences between free and paid:
SoftMaker Office is the commercial version of FreeOffice.
In the table below, you'll find a detailed comparison between FreeOffice 2018 and SoftMaker Office 2018:

I use Microsoft Office 365 Home, but my parents use Free Office for 2 years now and it works fine/great for them.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why not using Google Docs or Office Online?
"It's Free, therefore you are the product" /s
1587561701041.png

Source:
I don't want to spend time studying new functionality in newer versions of office software..( i am lazy enough to take breath at times).
Requirements/Limitations for Office Online:
  • Microsoft Account to login and Save to OneDrive with AutoSave.
  • An Office 365 license is not required, although you won't get the Desktop apps.
  • Always connected online
  • OneDrive desktop app syncs to PC
  • View/Edit on Mobile with new Office app

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Your situation sounds like mine. I have the 2007 Office Enterprise but have only installed Word. If you're only using MS Word for occasional simple editing functions just add Exploit protections and call it a day. You may check my settings here. You are safe as long as you aren't the victim of a targeted attack. But then, who would be?

Stay safe, not paranoid!

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It is worth to remember that non-Microsoft office applications allow OLE objects in MS Office documents. So, the user can be infected when clicking them (usually embedded scripts or scriptlets).
Fortunately, the macros that are run automatically in MS Office when opening or closing the document, usually do not run automatically in non-Microsoft office applications.
Office Online disables all active content (also embedded OLE).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.