Troubleshoot Is posible trash Windows 10 system alterating system folders?

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i have a litle cuestion I know the user is the worst enemy of the pcs, a user can delete everything, and make bad configurations. I know the really danger not are in the cloud or in the virus vault. The read danger are behind the screen in a chair. I want to ask you.
Do you remember that Xp old days when you go to your "system" folder and delete everything and you trash system and then does not work?
I have UAC in maximum seetings but sometimes i see some programs "Emsisoft", "Mailbird" "Balabolka" and anothers open the system 32 by default for example if i try to attach a file in mailbird it opens "system32" by default or if i try to save a "note" in balabolka to read later (is a text to speech software", it opens "system32" i always think i am too nerveous and i when system32 folder i scare and think "ok i do a worng click and trash system" "if i do a worng click or delete something or add something" and i ran to my system image.
Is posible trash system deleting, adding or changhing by accident something in system folders? include if you have UAC in maximum seetings? I log in whit microsoft account i think i am administrator nobody uses my pc only me. I install ms account when format pc ever.

What do you can tell me?

Reactions: Syafiq and shmu26

AnonMan

Level 2
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
Actually, in Windows Vista and above have a pretty robust protection for system32 called ownership. Adding something in system32 is possible but not for deleting/modified/changing files that already in system32 without giving the file the ownership to your user account, so your system32 folder is practically safe from any users(including administrator account). But i'm not sure why some of your application open the system32 directory. Maybe another member can help you about this.

Upvote 0

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi thanks for the clarification. I think this is problem of the developers. It not happens whit all my apps only whith listed apps. But i am curious tell me.
1.- I install all my soft and configs in admin account in windows 10
2.- Can i create another admin account and downgrade my account to limited user
My account is AlbertoX
I can create AdminX
and
Downgrade Alberto X to normal user account
I ask you that because some programs i install for my current user and some configs are linked to my current user

Upvote 0

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
I think this have some different causes either from a silly virus, or hopefully just a little fault in your Windows configuration. You can try one of these possible first-go solutions:

If you have installed a program lately and then noticed this happening, then maybe try a System restore.
but if you have uninstalled a program lately then this started happening then it could be a cause from a leftover. Try using a cleaning software like Glary Utilities in this case.

If the above didn't fix, try on the following possible fixes:

1. Attempt an SFC(system file checker) scan, from start menu search for CMD and run it as Admin. in the CMD type: sfc /scannow and wait till it finishes. It will tell you if it found issues, or it didn't.

2. Open start menu and type: task then open Task Scheduler, look under every heading of a folder there if there's any system32 task, if there's any you can just right click and Disable it for now and see if it fixes the issue for you.

3. Open Task manager, go to Startup tab and disable the items there and restart. You can turn them back on

4. Do a scan with HitmanPro and Malwarebytes.

If above still did no fix, then to let the community help you better you'll need to provide logs with some tools; look into Malware Removal Assistance follow the explained details and submit a request there.

Reactions: AnonMan
Upvote 0

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
No i think i dont be clear. I try to reproduce this issues whith mailbird, emsisoft and balabolka in another systems and same thing happen. You can check balabolka particular case if you select "file" "save as" it send you to system 32 folder . In mail bird dont remember how to reproduce issue and dont want to investigate and in emsi i think they correct this issue affter I report. My principal concern was solved by you

"Actually, in Windows Vista and above have a pretty robust protection for system32 called ownership. Adding something in system32 is possible but not for deleting/modified/changing files that already in system32 without giving the file the ownership to your user account, so your system32 folder is practically safe from any users(including administrator account). But i'm not sure why some of your application open the system32 directory. Maybe another member can help you about this".

And now to have more peace on mind want to know

Hi thanks for the clarification. I think this is problem of the developers. It not happens whit all my apps only whith listed apps. But i am curious tell me.
My account is AlbertoX
I can create AdminX
and
I ask you that because some programs i install for my current user and some configs are linked to my current us
The system 32 issues happen in clean system and new computers

Upvote 0

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
No i think i dont be clear. I try to reproduce this issues whith mailbird, emsisoft and balabolka in another systems and same thing happen. You can check balabolka particular case if you select "file" "save as" it send you to system 32 folder . In mail bird dont remember how to reproduce issue and dont want to investigate and in emsi i think they correct this issue affter I report. My principal concern was solved by you

"Actually, in Windows Vista and above have a pretty robust protection for system32 called ownership. Adding something in system32 is possible but not for deleting/modified/changing files that already in system32 without giving the file the ownership to your user account, so your system32 folder is practically safe from any users(including administrator account). But i'm not sure why some of your application open the system32 directory. Maybe another member can help you about this".

And now to have more peace on mind want to know

My account is AlbertoX
I can create AdminX
and
I ask you that because some programs i install for my current user and some configs are linked to my current us

If the same issue happened on another system with the same application you're using, then it's most likely that nothing you can do to fix it until the developer of the application fixes it.
About accounts; switching to Limited account won't stop the application from opening the System32 folder, but instead it will stop you from installing new programs, change only few settings that won't affect the system or other accounts thus preventing some untrusted programs from changing system settings such as changing registry entries. Also starting a new account meaning you WILL have to start all over again from installing some programs as well as your Windows settings.

So as I understood, in your case switching to Limited account will NOT help you getting rid of your problem.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1 Many programs need to access the Windows folder. One of them on my system is Dropbox desktop. It's normal.

2 You, the user, cannot make changes to the Windows folder without getting a UAC prompt (I assume you have UAC at default level or higher).

So there is nothing to worry about.

Upvote 0

Hi i have a litle cuestion I know the user is the worst enemy of the pcs, a user can delete everything, and make bad configurations. I know the really danger not are in the cloud or in the virus vault. The read danger are behind the screen in a chair. I want to ask you.
Do you remember that Xp old days when you go to your "system" folder and delete everything and you trash system and then does not work?
I have UAC in maximum seetings but sometimes i see some programs "Emsisoft", "Mailbird" "Balabolka" and anothers open the system 32 by default for example if i try to attach a file in mailbird it opens "system32" by default or if i try to save a "note" in balabolka to read later (is a text to speech software", it opens "system32" i always think i am too nerveous and i when system32 folder i scare and think "ok i do a worng click and trash system" "if i do a worng click or delete something or add something" and i ran to my system image.
Is posible trash system deleting, adding or changhing by accident something in system folders? include if you have UAC in maximum seetings? I log in whit microsoft account i think i am administrator nobody uses my pc only me. I install ms account when format pc ever.

What do you can tell me?

On Windows 10 the modification of System32 and SysWOW64 requires Administrator privileges. Windows generates an Admin alert when a user attempts to modify those folders.

Based upon what you have stated above, I assume you mean that the softs are using their integrated file explorer. Even using the integrated file explorer, the user must give Admin confirmation to modify the System32 and SysWOW64 folders.

This is a non-issue.

Upvote 0

Elpibe

Level 3
Verified
Sep 26, 2015
My account is AlbertoX
I can create AdminX
and

Yes you can create an admin account and downgrade the one your using. Its not difficult to do it, but i dont use W10 so maybe other can explain it (if you need).

Removing User Admin Rights Mitigates 94% of All Critical Microsoft Vulnerabilities
https://malwaretips.com/threads/rem...soft-vulnerabilities.71857/page-4#post-634852
Read comment #72 and #74 from that link

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.