Advice Request Is Shadow Defender officially dead now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Some time ago I saw someone on MalwareTips saying that Shadow Defender got a new update. I think it was 1.5 as far as i remember. I still had 1.4 and decided to check the Website of the creator. It's been dead for days now and as he never really updated the software for a long period of time, my guess is that it's dead now. Does anybody of you have further details? :)

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I'm not going to bash/rant the software, but since it's a security product it's a bit odd that https ain't implemented on the site. It's 2020 now and one can even get certificates for free.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
I'm not going to bash/rant the software, but since it's a security product it's a bit odd that https ain't implemented on the site. It's 2020 now and one can even get certificates for free.
He doesn't seem to care about the website much, as the site itself didn't change for years. It looks old and outdated.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It seems that currently, the website can be found on:
No HTTPS: Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool
HTTPS: Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool

If one searches for it via Google, then the HTPPS website is visible.

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Unfortunately, if one uses the Facebook official page: Shadow Defender - About | Facebook, then will be redirected to the non-HTTPS website:
Poor and obviously very weak website management. That, is automatic reflecting itself also on the software brand no matter what one might think of the software itself, and it does not help the key factor, Trust!

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Yes, trust is important. It is strange that the quality of the website management is the opposite of the program itself. The quality and usefulness of the program are well known for many years, and no one noticed anything suspicious about it. In the meantime, we have some other trusted programs like IOBIT, CCleaner, and some trusted web browser extensions that made many people infected.
Anyway, caution is required, and using the HTTPS website is recommended.

People should also remember that ShadowDefender can only protect the disks against permanent writes. The changes are virtual and temporary (discarded after the computer reboot). Until reboot, the malware can be installed and the data, passwords, secrets can be sent to the attacker. The malware can still infect the disks not protected by shadow mode, USB drives temporarily connected to the computer, devices connected to the local network, and data located in the personal cloud storage.(y)

Last edited:

Lightning_Brian

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Sep 1, 2017
Yes, trust is important. It is strange that the quality of the website management is the opposite of the program itself. The quality and usefulness of the program are well known for many years, and no one noticed anything suspicious about it. In the meantime, we have some other trusted programs like IOBIT, CCleaner, and some trusted web browser extensions that made many people infected.
Anyway, caution is required, and using the HTTPS website is recommended.

People should also remember that ShadowDefender can only protect the disks against permanent writes. The changes are virtual and temporary (discarded after the computer reboot). Until reboot, the malware can be installed and the data, passwords, secrets can be sent to the attacker. The malware can still infect the disks not protected by shadow mode, USB drives temporarily connected to the computer, devices connected to the local network, and data located in the personal cloud storage.(y)
Always a good reminder there @Andy Ful ! I feel as though some folks do not remember and need to have this good reminder be repeated to them every once in a while.

I say that Shadow Defender is great for many different areas of the IT world, but one has to take in account everything that you just said - as it is not immune to everything.

~Brian

Frib004

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2018
I know it's an old topic, but how do you save games with virtualization software enabled? Like Steam games, for example.

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Most steam games save everything in the cloud, otherwise you have to add exclusions for local game files or simply turn of Shadowdefender for your current session.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.