Battle K7 vs Quick Heal vs ESET - Please help me to choose

Compare list
K7 vs Quick Heal vs ESET

EascapenMatrix

Level 1
Apr 25, 2022
I will suggest you to choose ESET, It has very good signatures, ok-ok behavior blocked, very light and easily configurable. Only problem I issued with it that it my Edge crashes sometimes while using ESET I uninstalled the ESET, from that time the issue doesn't happened. While let me to believe it is caused my ESET.I contacted ESET support and they identified it as bug, Hopefully it is fixed by now as I am currently using BD. Also, I will love if any member that faced the same issue and know the fix for it.

Pixelman

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 7, 2022
My computer configuration: 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.29 GHz , Can I run EIS (ESET Internet Security ) latest version smoothly???

Another Question is, there are many website provide ESET fake key, is there any giveaways to get Eset Internet Security / Antivirus for free???
If you're interested in free solutions, you can try Kaspersky Security Cloud free and Comodo Firewall (@cruelsister settings) together, because KSC free doesn't come with a firewall. It works on my old machine from 2015, but it has 8gb RAM, so I'm not sure if it will eat a lot of RAM in your case.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
My computer configuration: 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.29 GHz , Can I run EIS (ESET Internet Security ) latest version smoothly???
It would be a good idea to upgrade to 8GB of RAM because 4GB isn't enough these days. But, ESET should run very well with the processor. I've got a i3-3120M which is not much faster than the 2120 and it runs really well on my computer. It would be a much better option than Kaspersky which was also recommended, as it's lighter.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Please tell me which is overall good. K7 / Quick Heal / ESET . I'm from India. Thank you all in advance for your reply :giggle: :giggle:
Can't go wrong with ESET.
Best in class signatures (next to Kaspersky and Avast), haven't test it for some time, but I think the snag is the missing / weak behaviour blocker. HIPS can be naggy if wrong configured.

Still using K7 (bought Infinity (=lifetime) version of Total Security for 70$, good deal for 5 devices IMO). - EDIT as you're from India, both Indian products will come at a way cheaper rate.
Was a fan of Quick Heal (mainly because of the Behaviour Blocker), however it's signatures are really bad, even the advertised ML engine did not come up often; I tested it recently. Not worth the outside India price at all. To my opinion, K7 has come close in terms of behaviour protection lately (K7 gets regular version upgrades, via signatures, no reboot needed).
K7 BB gets better in time IMO (also against ransomware), still weak against script malware, though they integrated AMSI protection lately (maybe TS version exclusive).
For best protection, pair it with AppCheck AntiRansomware free, which also covers #Magniber and #Netwalker.
In terms of Web Protection, I think both are ok (super weak against phising).

As for overall speed, K7>Quick Heal.

I would choose ESET or K7 over Quick Heal as they provide better protection and new versions of Quick Heal have be manually installed which is a hassle. ESET provides better protection than K7, but both are good products and they are two of the lightest antiviruses.
Big +1 on the obsolete manual updates, which can lead to a security risk IMO, who regularly checks for new versions?

Last edited:

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
So can I change default protection settings & then behavioral detection good ??
As for QuickHeal, yes, but there were still plenty of threats breaking trough.
K7 cannot be tweaked a lot (only HIPS, BB cannot). Did not lead to noticeable benefits tweaking HIPS.
Both K7 and QuickHeal are on the weaker side speaking of Firewall.
QuickHeal autotrusts signed files, so does K7. K7 does not have an option to ask first (prompts however appear for untrusted, not-seen-before outbounds - if configured so, default is autoallow), processes need to be blacklisted manually.

K7 updates arrive at least hourly with good detection rate (for .exe, almost none for scripts), QuickHeal 2-3 times a day, most of the time, files are detected widely and still unknown to QuickHeal (all file types, especially .exe).

Configs for K7 and QuickHeal, both maxed out:
eMail:
Enable Worm Blocking, Scan outgoing eMails
Scanner:
also Scan Memory, Tracking Cookies, Unwanted Registry Entries, Unwanted Files
System Monitor:
Custom Level of Protection (actually all boxes are activated by default or because of "High" setting used before)
Always Prompt if a new Software is installed when changes are found
Do not automatically allow signed files / recognized by the System Monitor
Firewall:
Ask for outbound connections of non-whitelisted apps
Intrusion Rules: Activate also SMB Exploit Detection 1, HTTP Server Exploit Detection 1 and FTP Server Exploit Detection 1

Data Locker (custom settings):
Do not use SmartAnalysis to discover Trusted Applications
Trusted by Data Locker before setting turned off:
C:\Windows\system32\BackgroundTaskHost.exe
C:\Windows\system32\RuntimeBroker.exe
C:\Windows\system32\PickerHost.exe (=Snipping Tool to create screenshots)
C:\Windows\system32\SnippingTool.exe (=Snipping Tool to create screenshots)
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\ProgramFiles\SoftMaker Office 2021\TextMaker.exe
C:\ProgramFiles\SoftMaker Office 2021\PlanMaker.exe
C:\ProgramFiles\SoftMaker Office 2021\Presentations.exe
C:\Users\Der.Reisende\Desktop\TCP_PE_AR_2o\HitmanPro_64.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe

Additional folders: C://: Videos, Music, Desktop: TCP_PE_AR_2o; D://: Bait

Data Locker by default protects Pictures and Documents against writing performances by processes not whitelisted as above.
AdvanceDNAScan Behavior detection level: High
Anti-Keylogger turned on
Firewall Advanced Settings: Firewall level: Strict

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
Can't go wrong with ESET.
Best in class signatures (next to Kaspersky and Avast), haven't test it for some time, but I think the snag is the missing / weak behaviour blocker. HIPS can be naggy if wrong configured.

Still using K7 (bought Infinity (=lifetime) version of Total Security for 70$, good deal for 5 devices IMO). - EDIT as you're from India, both Indian products will come at a way cheaper rate.
Was a fan of Quick Heal (mainly because of the Behaviour Blocker), however it's signatures are really bad, even the advertised ML engine did not come up often; I tested it recently. Not worth the outside India price at all. To my opinion, K7 has come close in terms of behaviour protection lately (K7 gets regular version upgrades, via signatures, no reboot needed).
K7 BB gets better in time IMO (also against ransomware), still weak against script malware, though they integrated AMSI protection lately (maybe TS version exclusive).
For best protection, pair it with AppCheck AntiRansomware free, which also covers #Magniber and #Netwalker.
In terms of Web Protection, I think both are ok (super weak against phising).

As for overall speed, K7>Quick Heal.

Big +1 on the obsolete manual updates, which can lead to a security risk IMO, who regularly checks for new versions?
So as per your suggestion, K7 is better? Also it's TS version doesn't have webcam protection..

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
As for QuickHeal, yes, but there were still plenty of threats breaking trough.
K7 cannot be tweaked a lot (only HIPS, BB cannot). Did not lead to noticeable benefits tweaking HIPS.
Both K7 and QuickHeal are on the weaker side speaking of Firewall.
QuickHeal autotrusts signed files, so does K7. K7 does not have an option to ask first (prompts however appear for untrusted, not-seen-before outbounds - if configured so, default is autoallow), processes need to be blacklisted manually.

K7 updates arrive at least hourly with good detection rate (for .exe, almost none for scripts), QuickHeal 2-3 times a day, most of the time, files are detected widely and still unknown to QuickHeal (all file types, especially .exe).

eMail:
Enable Worm Blocking, Scan outgoing eMails
Scanner:
also Scan Memory, Tracking Cookies, Unwanted Registry Entries, Unwanted Files
System Monitor:
Custom Level of Protection (actually all boxes are activated by default or because of "High" setting used before)
Always Prompt if a new Software is installed when changes are found
Do not automatically allow signed files / recognized by the System Monitor
Firewall:
Ask for outbound connections of non-whitelisted apps
Intrusion Rules: Activate also SMB Exploit Detection 1, HTTP Server Exploit Detection 1 and FTP Server Exploit Detection 1

Data Locker (custom settings):
Do not use SmartAnalysis to discover Trusted Applications
Trusted by Data Locker before setting turned off:
C:\Windows\system32\RuntimeBroker.exe
C:\Windows\system32\PickerHost.exe (=Snipping Tool to create screenshots)
C:\Windows\system32\SnippingTool.exe (=Snipping Tool to create screenshots)
C:\Windows\explorer.exe
C:\ProgramFiles\SoftMaker Office 2021\TextMaker.exe
C:\ProgramFiles\SoftMaker Office 2021\PlanMaker.exe
C:\ProgramFiles\SoftMaker Office 2021\Presentations.exe
C:\Users\Der.Reisende\Desktop\TCP_PE_AR_2o\HitmanPro_64.exe
C:\Windows\System32\mspaint.exe

Additional folders: C://: Videos, Music, Desktop: TCP_PE_AR_2o; D://: Bait

Data Locker by default protects Pictures and Documents against writing performances by processes not whitelisted as above.
AdvanceDNAScan Behavior detection level: High
Anti-Keylogger turned on
Firewall Advanced Settings: Firewall level: Strict
K7 doesn't have feature to repair file (QH does it) & what can I do if K7 TS installed? I mean another Anti Ransomware / other Anti malware should be installed along with K7?? What about Malwarebyte Anti Malware Free

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
So as per your suggestion, K7 is better? Also it's TS version doesn't have webcam protection..
At least better than Quick Heal, but not better than ESET most likely.
As for Total Security, you‘re right, it’s Ultimate version which does come with webcam protection, which is what you get when you buy the Infiniti version (can provide screenshots tonight).
As per correction, even better deal comparing it to single purchase for 1 or more years, as Infiniti gives you 5 seats lifetime (no idea if it checks device hardware, AFAIK QuickHeal does, at least it registers deep in registry once a trial was installed, cannot get another trial working without purchased key unless full uninstall removing also registry information, it offers saving for reinstall by default).

K7 doesn't have feature to repair file (QH does it) & what can I do if K7 TS installed? I mean another Anti Ransomware / other Anti malware should be installed along with K7?? What about Malwarebyte Anti Malware Free
Don’t expect too much from the repair feature (especially as victim of a Java RAT like Adwind). Better use HitmanPro or Norton Power Eraser.

Having not used actually, but K7 Ultimate comes with both Backup and Cleanup tools.
Had good experiences with the Backup feature of QuickHeal, did not get corrupted by ransomware, however to my experience, it was a bit faulty, it did not do instant backup after configuration.
The Data Locker feature of K7 is quite strong, actually needs manual whitelisting as it did not recognize multiple apps like the Windows Snipping tool, or suites like Softmaker Office.
On the other hand, for good reason it trusts explorer.exe and others, which can be exploited by Netwalker for example.
So if you‘re worried, use AppCheck Anti-RW.
I have installed it on my Mum‘s device and on my second one, where vital data is stored on.
In terms of performance, you might notice it if at all by a slight increase of boot time.

Malwarebytes should run fine alongside K7 too, though not tried personally.
However I think against ransomware AppCheck is the better option, because it has a strong behaviour blocker and restores affected files also in the free version.
Still, make sure to have backups in case of data loss (due to virus or hardware failure).

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
At least better than Quick Heal, but not better than ESET most likely.
As for Total Security, you‘re right, it’s Ultimate version which does come with webcam protection, which is what you get when you buy the Infiniti version (can provide screenshots tonight).
As per correction, even better deal comparing it to single purchase for 1 or more years, as Infiniti gives you 5 seats lifetime (no idea if it checks device hardware, AFAIK QuickHeal does, at least it registers deep in registry once a trial was installed, cannot get another trial working without purchased key unless full uninstall removing also registry information, it offers saving for reinstall by default).

Don’t expect too much from the repair feature (especially as victim of a Java RAT like Adwind). Better use HitmanPro or Norton Power Eraser.

Having not used actually, but K7 Ultimate comes with both Backup and Cleanup tools.
Had good experiences with the Backup feature of QuickHeal, did not get corrupted by ransomware, however to my experience, it was a bit faulty, it did not do instant backup after configuration.
The Data Locker feature of K7 is quite strong, actually needs manual whitelisting as it did not recognize multiple apps like the Windows Snipping tool, or suites like Softmaker Office.
On the other hand, for good reason it trusts explorer.exe and others, which can be exploited by Netwalker for example.
So if you‘re worried, use AppCheck Anti-RW.
I have installed it on my Mum‘s device and on my second one, where vital data is stored on.
In terms of performance, you might notice it if at all by a slight increase of boot time.

Malwarebytes should run fine alongside K7 too, though not tried personally.
However I think against ransomware AppCheck is the better option, because it has a strong behaviour blocker and restores affected files also in the free version.
Still, make sure to have backups in case of data loss (due to virus or hardware failure).
Thank you so much ❤️. As per your suggestion K7 TS with AppCheck Anti-RW free is a better option, right? I'm worried if two security solution running same time then system performance will be affected. Please see my computer configuration ( 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.29 GHz ,)

Another thing, please explain K7 custom configuration again which you've explained earlier.. what I have to do..

Spoiler: Custom Settings - K7

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Personally, given your configuration, I would opt for Eset.
Even if K7 is very good, it is below Eset in terms of detection.

Eset knows how to counter big attacks with Hexadecimal detections (basically, even if a malware is cleaned from its detections, if the code fragment that Eset added is not modified, it will be detected). We have seen this against VBS attacks (Eset detects the Trojan on arrival) or against the Magniber Ransomware which makes Antivirus suffer to block it efficiently.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you so much ❤️. As per your suggestion K7 TS with AppCheck Anti-RW free is a better option, right? I'm worried if two security solution running same time then system performance will be affected. Please see my computer configuration ( 4GB DDR3 RAM, 500GB HDD, 128GB SSD Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.29 GHz ,)

Another thing, please explain K7 custom configuration again which you've explained earlier.. what I have to do..

Spoiler: Custom Settings - K7
You're welcome.

Sure, as for the config:
Open K7 GUI, choose "Settings" (middle, on top), and then "Antivirus and Antispyware"
1.png
Go to "E-Mail" first, make it look like that:
2.png
Next is "System Monitor":
3.png
Go to "Scanner" now:
4.png
Difficult part is "Data Locker":
5.png
You can add or remove apps by the options of the same name.
If K7 blocks an app, get to "Click here to view Blocked application history".
Click "Trust an application", click ok and "Apply" in main window of Data Locker.
6.png
As for Firewall, head back to "Settings", and there to "Applications", and after that to "Intrusions".
7.png8.png

You can combine AppCheck AntiRansomware with ESET as well I think.
Just try it out: Product Introduction - CheckMAL
AppCheck does become active on attack, AFAIK it does not scan the system in Realtime, like an AV does.
As others mentioned, think about doubling RAM, the CPU should be sufficient for all-day use (minus gaming).
My laptop is about 4-5y old, i5-7200u, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD (D://, Steam storage), 128 GB SSD (Windows and all apps).

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
You're welcome.

Sure, as for the config:
Open K7 GUI, choose "Settings" (middle, on top), and then "Antivirus and Antispyware"
Go to "E-Mail" first, make it look like that:
Next is "System Monitor":
Go to "Scanner" now:
Difficult part is "Data Locker":
You can add or remove apps by the options of the same name.
If K7 blocks an app, get to "Click here to view Blocked application history".
Click "Trust an application", click ok and "Apply" in main window of Data Locker.
As for Firewall, head back to "Settings", and there to "Applications", and after that to "Intrusions".

You can combine AppCheck AntiRansomware with ESET as well I think.
Just try it out: Product Introduction - CheckMAL
AppCheck does become active on attack, AFAIK it does not scan the system in Realtime, like an AV does.
As others mentioned, think about doubling RAM, the CPU should be sufficient for all-day use (minus gaming).
My laptop is about 4-5y old, i5-7200u, 8 GB RAM, 1TB HDD (D://, Steam storage), 128 GB SSD (Windows and all apps).
Thank you once again. You've mentioned earlier that K7 have okay web protection but weak in terms of phising attack. So does Appcheck AR helps me in terms of phising attack or what I have to do?

Reactions: Sorrento and JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.