K7 vs Quick Heal vs ESET

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thank you once again. You've mentioned earlier that K7 have okay web protection but weak in terms of phising attack. So does Appcheck AR helps me in terms of phising attack or what I have to do?
AppCheck AntiRansomware only covers Ransomware.
For web protection, install Bitdefender TrafficLight (available for both Firefox, and Chromium Browsers) extension, and AdGuard extension (also against ads, like the name implies).

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
K7 TS + Appcheck AR free + Adguard browser extension, perfect right?
IMHO, it's kinda install and forget, nothing is perfect, it's cat and mouse with malware authors.
Having tried multiple AVs, I liked K7 best, and haven't changed it a long time now.
Once configured, K7 automanages itself, unlike Quick Heal.
Try if it serves you well.
If you still take care about external backups, storage device not connected to the machine all the time, and be a bit cautious out there in the web, it should be as sufficient as combined with most other AV out there.

EDIT: You missed out Bitdefender TrafficLight, for malicious URL blocking.

anirbandutta01

Level 7
Thread author
Well-known
Jun 18, 2022
IMHO, it's kinda install and forget, nothing is perfect, it's cat and mouse with malware authors.
Having tried multiple AVs, I liked K7 best, and haven't changed it a long time now.
Once configured, K7 automanages itself, unlike Quick Heal.
Try if it serves you well.
If you still take care about external backups, storage device not connected to the machine all the time, and be a bit cautious out there in the web, it should be as sufficient as combined with most other AV out there.
Does it upgrade ( newer version not virus database) automatically through built in update or I've to download & install new build version like QH??

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Does it upgrade ( newer version not virus database) automatically through built in update or I've to download & install new build version like QH??
It does autoupgrade without user input (it does while gathering virus database updates), yesterday from 16.0.0700 to 16.0.0701
Seldom, requires reboot (will inform you), haven't had that for a long time now.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
Thanks 👍 Bitdefender TrafficLight browser extension blocks phishing sites?
Yes, both malware and phishing pages.
It will be a good companion to K7 and M$ SmartScreen / Google Safe Browsing (both come by default in many browsers - first one in Edge, later one is active in Brave Browser and of course Google Chrome).

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
One question, does K7 TS have UEFI scanning option ?
I have no idea, sorry.
Did not find anything in it's documentation.
What it is able to do, is a Rootkit scan.
1655920003418.png

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Eset knows how to counter big attacks with Hexadecimal detections (basically, even if a malware is cleaned from its detections, if the code fragment that Eset added is not modified, it will be detected). We have seen this against VBS attacks (Eset detects the Trojan on arrival) or against the Magniber Ransomware which makes Antivirus suffer to block it efficiently.
Can Bitdefender and Kaspersky do the same thing too?

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Not even Bitdefender ATC modules can detect and block it?
Blocking Magniber is very complicated for BB modules.
Indeed, when Magniber is installed, it patches a system process. Once done, it starts the encryption.
There are also variants where Magniber patches several processes!
Bitdefender tends to block its dropper which is in .TMP but just modify it so that the detection is inoperative....

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.