Help Me Decide Kaspersky antivirus vs Emsisoft

Discussion in 'Compare Apps' started by Aktiffiso, Oct 6, 2017.

1. CMLew

CMLew Level 22

Oct 30, 2015
    Registered Safety Practitioner
    Singapore
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    Russian to American: US AV are full of spies!
    American to Russian: Russian AV are untrustworthy!

You tell me who u trust... lol

Weebarra, venustus, ZeroDay and 3 others like this.
  2. bribon77

bribon77 Level 10

Jul 6, 2017
    spain
    Windows 7
    Emsisoft
    Both Emsisoft and Kaspersky are two good Avs. It is a matter of trying to see which one suits you best.

3. pablozi

pablozi Level 22
    Trusted

Jun 14, 2011
    Null Island
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    You should stop listening to what your uncle says and start getting the knowledge based on facts rather that gossips.

upnorth, Weebarra, russ0408 and 11 others like this.
  4. ZeroDay

ZeroDay Level 22

Aug 17, 2013
    Birmingham UK
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    I'd say that makes it more qualified for the job.

Weebarra, tim one, venustus and 2 others like this.
  5. Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2 Level 37
    Trusted

Dec 4, 2013
    Southern California (east of Los Angeles)
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    #25 Cats-4_Owners-2, Nov 4, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2017
    These posts have been so engaging:unsure: I'd nearly forgotten the topic!:giggle:

We have both Emsisoft Antimalware & Kaspersky Internet Security (thanks to the Grace of MalwareTips/Emsisoft/Kaspersky Giveaways here) installed on (2) separate computers, here, at our home. With the exception of my wife being annoyed by an Emsisoft window alert: '..false positive items placed in quarantine (from the game, "Paradise Bay" ) can be removed safely. Would you like them to be returned?' (Mrs. Cats can be picky this way!:whistle:) each perform their jobs excellently. Both had been installed as trial versions first, and so I wholeheartedly agree with our insightful members/friends here whom have already recommended navigating this safe course in reaching your happy destination!;)

6. XhenEd

XhenEd Level 27
    Content Creator Trusted

Mar 1, 2014
    Philippines
    Windows 10
    Default-Deny
    Education begins with innocence. Others have told you what you need to know. (y)

Now, share what you've learned to your uncle and encourage him to sign up on MalwareTips. :)

Welcome to the club! :cool:

7. Umbra

Umbra From Emsisoft
    Developer

May 16, 2011
    Community manager
    Vietnam & France
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    The real question is not which one is the best; but as i keep saying, which one FIT you best.

8. Dhruv2193

Dhruv2193 Level 3

Nov 7, 2016
    India
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    i am using both on different PC's but emsisoft is a less intrusive solution.

9. tim one

tim one Level 18
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    I look at the quality of a product and not to its geographical origin.
    Kaspersky is a Russian company, but this does not mean all Russian people are malcoders ;)

10. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    Does he trust Microsoft, Google, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, Instagram and/or Snapchat?

Anyway, Kaspersky have discovered and exposed some of the really sophisticated malware attacks and they also submit vulnerabilities when they come across a sample in the wild which exploits an unknown one. Compared to the NSA who would actually be finding and exploiting the vulnerabilities and would not think twice about keeping it stored in a vuleranble folder, for a contractor to steal and put onto an infected machine using pirated content (to be uploaded to a cloud engine obviously, what else would they use it for other than to be stolen?).

It is okay if you distrust Kaspersky because we all have our own thoughts but you are missing out on a lot. They do offer really good protection. As for commercials... Well, they are just commercials - designed to make someothing look good and persuade someone into becoming a client.

11. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft have their own in-house engine for static detection as well. They don't just depend on Bitdefender. :)

12. RoboMan

RoboMan Level 17
    Content Creator

Jun 24, 2016
    USA
    Windows 10
    ESET
    Always remember to choose what suits your PC the best. If you understand the basics of safe browsing then any decent security software can help you.

To help you a bit: (the following are my personal experiences with them)

EMSISOFT

Pros

Light on system
    Install and forget
    Efficient, quick support
    Great behaviour blocker
    Has active team members in this forums

Cons

Can be a little buggy (at least on my experience and some others)
    In my scenario, found it a bit sensible with PUP or FP
    Can't be very much tweaked

-----------------------------------------

KASPERSKY

Pros

Excellent Behaviour Blocker
    Application Control is a great addition and can work as an anti executable
    One of the best protection and detection score on independent tests (can tests be trusted?)
    If enable all modules and options can create a real lockdown (can be tedious for novice)
    Very very few FPs

Cons

Can be heavy when everything is enabled for maximum security
    Can be buggy (specially Application Control)
    Support may take a couple of days to answer at least to me
    Can't be really very much tweaked or configured

-----------------------------------------

Once again, best you can do is try them both and see which one performs the best on your specific system. If all you want is to be protected, then both are great options. I would choose Kaspersky if your computer can stand it.

13. Faybert

Faybert Level 10
    AV Tester

Jan 8, 2017
    Brasil
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    I believe that there is no antivirus to hit front with Kaspersky, it is at the top, slightly below are G Data, Emsisoft, Bitdefender, F-Secure and ESET, in my opinion.

14. amico81

amico81 Level 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Germany
    Windows 10
    G-Data
    That's my opinion too...but avast has risen like a phoenix from the ashes (y)

15. Bleak

Bleak Level 2

Sep 5, 2017
    ::1
    As long as there's no option to just run "their" own engine, then they mainly depend on BD and that's a fact, their engine is more or less an add-on and without BD the product won't get near any of its results in signature based tests.

16. Opcode

Opcode Level 18
    Content Creator

Aug 17, 2017
    Caille
    Windows 10
    I've seen a lot of samples detected by their engine in the past. They handle manual submissions themselves as well, for samples undetected by both their own and the Bitdefender engine - they won't have all the signatures from BD 24/7 because there would be delays/differences for sure. Emsisoft choosing not to allow disabling of engines does not factually mean they 'mainly depend on BD'.

Of course, Bitdefender is a good addition though and does benefit them greatly for signature detection.

17. low L!fe

low L!fe Level 3

Oct 11, 2014
    Windows 10
    BitDefender
    Kaspersky