Battle Kaspersky antivirus vs Emsisoft

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Want to know from your vier point whats are better behavior blocker kaspersky antivirus or EAM . I refer paid versions, if kaspersky have another thing like TAM or something likethat tell me i want to know from your view point what is the best in behavior detection

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
I was told once that Kaspersky or anything from Russia or China couldn't be trusted because they had viruses. My uncle told me this, and he also knows stuff about computers. The AV's that he likes to use are AVG (because he thought it was the most trusted) and PCMatic (because he saw a commercial that said good things about it). He is also the reason why I don't like downloading a lot of programs and why I haven't used multiple On-Demand scanners until recently.

Russian to American: US AV are full of spies!
American to Russian: Russian AV are untrustworthy!

You tell me who u trust... lol

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I was told once that Kaspersky or anything from Russia or China couldn't be trusted because they had viruses. My uncle told me this, and he also knows stuff about computers. The AV's that he likes to use are AVG (because he thought it was the most trusted) and PCMatic (because he saw a commercial that said good things about it). He is also the reason why I don't like downloading a lot of programs and why I haven't used multiple On-Demand scanners until recently.
You should stop listening to what your uncle says and start getting the knowledge based on facts rather that gossips.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
These posts have been so engaging:unsure: I'd nearly forgotten the topic!:giggle:

We have both Emsisoft Antimalware & Kaspersky Internet Security (thanks to the Grace of MalwareTips/Emsisoft/Kaspersky Giveaways here) installed on (2) separate computers, here, at our home. With the exception of my wife being annoyed by an Emsisoft window alert: '..false positive items placed in quarantine (from the game, "Paradise Bay" ) can be removed safely. Would you like them to be returned?' (Mrs. Cats can be picky this way!:whistle:) each perform their jobs excellently. Both had been installed as trial versions first, and so I wholeheartedly agree with our insightful members/friends here whom have already recommended navigating this safe course in reaching your happy destination!;)

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
Education begins with innocence. Others have told you what you need to know. (y)

Now, share what you've learned to your uncle and encourage him to sign up on MalwareTips. :)

Welcome to the club! :cool:

D

Deleted member 65228

I was told once that Kaspersky or anything from Russia or China couldn't be trusted because they had viruses. My uncle told me this, and he also knows stuff about computers. The AV's that he likes to use are AVG (because he thought it was the most trusted) and PCMatic (because he saw a commercial that said good things about it).
Does he trust Microsoft, Google, Twitter, Facebook, Yahoo, Instagram and/or Snapchat?

Anyway, Kaspersky have discovered and exposed some of the really sophisticated malware attacks and they also submit vulnerabilities when they come across a sample in the wild which exploits an unknown one. Compared to the NSA who would actually be finding and exploiting the vulnerabilities and would not think twice about keeping it stored in a vuleranble folder, for a contractor to steal and put onto an infected machine using pirated content (to be uploaded to a cloud engine obviously, what else would they use it for other than to be stolen?).

It is okay if you distrust Kaspersky because we all have our own thoughts but you are missing out on a lot. They do offer really good protection. As for commercials... Well, they are just commercials - designed to make someothing look good and persuade someone into becoming a client.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Always remember to choose what suits your PC the best. If you understand the basics of safe browsing then any decent security software can help you.

To help you a bit: (the following are my personal experiences with them)

EMSISOFT

Pros

Light on system
Install and forget
Efficient, quick support
Great behaviour blocker
Has active team members in this forums

Cons

Can be a little buggy (at least on my experience and some others)
In my scenario, found it a bit sensible with PUP or FP
Can't be very much tweaked

-----------------------------------------

KASPERSKY

Pros

Excellent Behaviour Blocker
Application Control is a great addition and can work as an anti executable
One of the best protection and detection score on independent tests (can tests be trusted?)
If enable all modules and options can create a real lockdown (can be tedious for novice)
Very very few FPs

Cons

Can be heavy when everything is enabled for maximum security
Can be buggy (specially Application Control)
Support may take a couple of days to answer at least to me
Can't be really very much tweaked or configured

-----------------------------------------

Once again, best you can do is try them both and see which one performs the best on your specific system. If all you want is to be protected, then both are great options. I would choose Kaspersky if your computer can stand it.

Bleak

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Sep 5, 2017
Emsisoft have their own in-house engine for static detection as well. They don't just depend on Bitdefender. :)
As long as there's no option to just run "their" own engine, then they mainly depend on BD and that's a fact, their engine is more or less an add-on and without BD the product won't get near any of its results in signature based tests.

D

Deleted member 65228

As long as there's no option to just run "their" own engine, then they mainly depend on BD and that's a fact, their engine is more or less an add-on and without BD the product won't get near any of its results in signature based tests.
I've seen a lot of samples detected by their engine in the past. They handle manual submissions themselves as well, for samples undetected by both their own and the Bitdefender engine - they won't have all the signatures from BD 24/7 because there would be delays/differences for sure. Emsisoft choosing not to allow disabling of engines does not factually mean they 'mainly depend on BD'.

Of course, Bitdefender is a good addition though and does benefit them greatly for signature detection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.