Advice Request Kaspersky Security Cloud Free

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AV-Freak

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Feb 14, 2018
Hello Friends, :giggle:

It was a pleasant surprise when i installed the new Kaspersky Security Cloud, thinking that it would be another freemium model app with most of the key components locked and it might nag you every now and then for an upgrade. Now, there seem to be no difference between Kaspersky Antivirus and Kaspersky Security cloud, as all the modules present in KAV is now present in KSC free, and thankfully Kaspersky had not disabled the module settings, just like in KFA. And it seem to have other modules like Secure data input, password security check, weak settings control, file back up and file shredder, which are present in their flagship product, Kaspersky Total Security. Application Control, Trusted Application mode and Firewall are the key components missing out. But this setup is adequate for most of the novice users, who use their pc's for general browising and M.S office related stuffs. And this move might greatly impact the free a.v market dominated by Avast, Avira and Bitdefender.

I was able to download and install it from the kaspersky usa website , though the android version failed to install in my phone, saying that it was not available for my region. :sneaky:

Looking for your comments...

Attachments

• kcs.PNG
    kcs.PNG
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,365
  • kcs4.PNG
    kcs4.PNG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,579
  • ksc.PNG
    ksc.PNG
    82.7 KB · Views: 1,724
  • ksc2.PNG
    ksc2.PNG
    66.9 KB · Views: 1,352
  • ksc3.PNG
    ksc3.PNG
    67 KB · Views: 1,316
  • ksc4.PNG
    ksc4.PNG
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,431

petersaints

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2015
Waiting for eu version, definitely going to install this, wondering how light it can get by disabling most of components.

If i could go cf with the kaspersky web blocker only
I think that the EU version is already available. At least, if I can go to Download Free Kaspersky Virus Protection Tools | Kaspersky Lab click on "Kaspersky Security Cloud - Free", which sends me to https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/try-free-cloud-antivirus, and then select "The European Union" > "English" version before I click "Download".

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I think that the EU version is already available. At least, if I can go to Download Free Kaspersky Virus Protection Tools | Kaspersky Lab click on "Kaspersky Security Cloud - Free", which sends me to https://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/thank-you/try-free-cloud-antivirus, and then select "The European Union" > "English" version before I click "Download".
Yes but it asks you to login with kaspersky account, and asks for license. The eu version isnt working yet, but is coming during august

Im using finnish version of kaspersky free, so i bet it will be available on cloud aswell

petersaints

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2015
Yes but it asks you to login with kaspersky account, and asks for license. The eu version isnt working yet, but is coming during august

Im using finnish version of kaspersky free, so i bet it will be available on cloud aswell

I don't know how it behaves with a newly created account, but I used an old Kaspersky account and it got activated, even though I have always lived in the EU.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I don't know how it behaves with a newly created account, but I used an old Kaspersky account and it got activated, even though I have always lived in the EU.
I have tried it several times during last week, i guess its either new account + usa version to get it work, but im fine with KFA for now

The installer is so slow, i rather wait for official release

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I wondered if maybe it used special permissions for backed up folders or something akin to such...similar to Easy File Locker for anyone familiar with that program. For backups that should be a simple thing to protect in that way if only the backup program can write to the backup folders.

I can think of some simple ways to make use of that methodology, but so far seems no security company (that I know of) has stepped up to make protected backup a feature of their free program. Just make it impossible for the backup space to be accessed by anything but the backup utility...and then add a very simple watch reflex to let a user know if multiple files have been changed at once, so they won't back them up if the result of ransomeware.

Thx, this sounds like a good program nonetheless.

Last edited:

MeltdownEnemy

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2018
Last days, I installed the kaspersky Software Updater and I saw it consuming so much memory that immediately I uninstalled it because losing 150 to 200mb ram, then I opted to use glary software updater. 5mb of memory.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I find it hard to believe that ESET consumes much less memory than an cloud antivirus. LOL
52mb ekrn.exe and the egui.exe 12mb, but thanks for taking the time on me
Of course, sometimes it goes down to less than 50MB ;)
Btw, KSC is not only cloud, it also downloads signatures like KAV/KIS/KTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.