Advice Request Kaspersky Security Cloud Personal

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I do not understand how antivirus work... at all. Most of them, even ESET or Kaspersky, work smooth and fluid upon installation. Within the days go by suddenly the performance start dropping and after some months you have to clean install Windows because opening a folder takes up to 4 seconds...

Nestor

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 21, 2018
Is it worth buying Kaspersky paid edition only to get safe money? I mean if you use internet banking with free editions, are you some kind more vulnerable?

Reactions: JB007 and Weebarra
E

Eddie Morra

Within the days go by suddenly the performance start dropping and after some months you have to clean install Windows because opening a folder takes up to 4 seconds...
Could be caching related, as funny as it sounds... a feature which is meant to improve performance, not reduce it.

The more data that is cached, the more data that needs to be checked when filtering operations. If an AV product is keeping track on which files have already been scanned so it doesn't re-scan everything 24/7 (unless the previously scanned object has since been changed and is now due for a scan next time it is encountered), then the more files in the scan cache... the longer the processing times for operations which enforce checking of the cache.

It does sound a bit ridiculous but never count your chickens... who knows.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Is it worth buying Kaspersky paid edition only to get safe money? I mean if you use internet banking with free editions, are you some kind more vulnerable?

I wouldnt stress about safe money. Most products now a days are pretty good at flagging keyloggers. If the website itself is compromised no amount of protection on your end will save you. There are other reasons for purchasing Kaspersky ie: application control and such, but I wouldn't buy it strickly for safe money.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Could be caching related, as funny as it sounds... a feature which is meant to improve performance, not reduce it.

The more data that is cached, the more data that needs to be checked when filtering operations. If an AV product is keeping track on which files have already been scanned so it doesn't re-scan everything 24/7 (unless the previously scanned object has since been changed and is now due for a scan next time it is encountered), then the more files in the scan cache... the longer the processing times for operations which enforce checking of the cache.

Same can be applied for other cache examples, and also differs between vendors because of differences in implementation (e.g. how the data is stored on-disk/in-memory and the search algorithms used against the cached data, etc.).

Of course this is not a concrete answer, but it's just an estimation based on what you specifically said.

1. Performance is great at first despite more scans being performed.
2. Cache builds up.
3. Now operations take longer with the real-time to approve, potentially because of a larger cache to process through for every operation which enforces checking the cache before deciding whether something should be scanned or not.

Then, in conjunction with this, add on the overhead of actually performing a scan among other things like exclusion checks, verification checks (e.g. code signing authentication), blah blah blah. as per usual.

And then an operation which previously took 0.5ms or 1s can double, tripple, quadripple, etc. And when you're doing something which its speed has been affected like this a lot in one go, it can become VERY noticeable, especially when you're used to specific timings.

Very good point, never thought of that. One question that came to mind after reading your post is in regards to these "performance tests" from the likes of AV-Comparatives. If it is in fact due to the caching file incresing in size over time, shouldn't these tests look at the performance of a product over a longer period of time? If all they do is test it out of the box, then they are only getting the initial impact, but if a lot of these products do in fact slow down the system over time, maybe it's not a true representation of the actual performance of these products.

Personally I would like to know how it's performance is long term vs the first few days. If it's slow initially while it caches, but speeds up afterwards I'm cool with that, but if it's fast now, but slows down later I'm not cool with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
I have KTS. I would say KSC Free is 95% of the package. Application Control is definitely a great feature but it's incredible how much Kaspersky is giving users in the free version. I would say you are just as secure as I am with default configuration. But if you have the need to tweak your security, KTS is the way to go.

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I had serious problems with safe money with transactions being made for example in PayPal and get back to normal shop site or whathever and the transaction is not reflected or worse with double charge, so if you don't start the shop sesión inside safe money you may get this kind of problems.

I have excluded paypal , the good news or advantages to get safe money is that I don't need any browser's extensions, I have the posture that browsers extensions are not the solution or doesn't increase your security on browsers, banking sesions which I found as the only important pages to need be protected are better in an isolate sesion and that's what I get with safe money

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
I think the browser is more vulnerable when it has extensions, I mean that's how can steal you data, with access to the browsers, I also may say that if your browser get infected the isolated sesion is clean and with all the protection that Kaspersky offers, they use virtualization technology that was said in another post about the safe money.
Also, there are postures in the forum that don't like get the ssl traffic being scanned, simple, tick the option to don't scan sites with EV certificates, and done, any decent bank has this kind of certificates and this is how I reduce more vectors of infections.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
I am on KSC free, and I do find that it is lighter than KIS. I am very happy with KSC free.
If you will be using any advanced security apps alongside it, then the free edition is more than enough. In such a case, you don't need Application Control.
KFA + zonealarm free firewall ( application control) probably nice

On topic: I rather use KFA over KSC, since its more stable + finnish translations

SumTingWong

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Does Kaspersky Security Cloud premium has firewall? For some reason, Kaspersky Internet Security doesn't like IKEv2 network adapter from VPN. I tried Windscribe and CyberGhost with Kaspersky Internet Security, and surprise both can't launch IKEv2 adapter at all. Even whitelisting doesn't do anything. Shut down KIS is the only option to get IKEv2 network adapter to launch.

Kaspersky support still has no why their KIS doesn't play nice with VPN used IKEv2, while Kaspersky Anti-Virus does play nice with VPN used IKEv2.

My OS is not corrupted okay? I tried both my laptop and desktop, and both showed the same result.

Last edited:
Reactions: stefanos and Nestor

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
This is a very specific product probably oriented for families with many different devices, and it lets to manage all of them via clod -> "My Kaspersky" up to 20 devices if I remember correctly...

JB007

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 19, 2016
This is a very specific product probably oriented for families with many different devices, and it lets to manage all of them via clod -> "My Kaspersky" up to 20 devices if I remember correctly...
Yes 5 devices for "personal" and 20 devices for "family" and if you have 20 devices in your family, the price is very interesting.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.