New Update LibreWolf Browser - A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I am tempted to try LW as I am currently using Brave and FF but I am hesitant that being maintained by a one man operation as mentioned earlier makes it another privacy focused browser that may eventually become abandonware.

That being said would you still use it?

Reactions: cryogent

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That being said would you still use it?
Speedy updates, pre-configured, etc. built by a community of devs. The Windows version is more than one also. Super fast updates, pre-configured for privacy and security, etc. for those who are interested. You may also add an extension that will notify of updates which you can manually install.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Speedy updates, pre-configured, etc. built by a community of devs. The Windows version is more than one also. Super fast updates, pre-configured for privacy and security, etc. for those who are interested. You may also add an extension that will notify of updates which you can manually install.
That extension you mentioned is only good for notifying the presence of a new update and to perform a manual download either selecting the exe or the zip version.

If you are using the portable LW then you still need to upgrade by following my post in #117. Not too sure of the LW exe file though as I'm not using it

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Adguard for Desktop looks like not filtering LW despite enabling it as a Filtered App. FF center picture. LW lowest picture
1644630402900.png

1644630297700.png

1644630340500.png

Last edited by a moderator:

SearchLight

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
Took the suggestion. Trying LW, along with Brave. Brave will be my main browser, and LW secondary if I want a change of scenery. Imo, don't think this browser combo can be any better other than using no browser at all, and not browsing for maximum security:).

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Did you check the Adguard log? Perhaps AG doesn't filter the portable version.
I'm using LW portable version all these while. If I'm not wrong I remember AG does filter it previously.

I now confirm in uBO not seeing AG there. In FF I can see AG in uBO

No issue as I can install filters in LW

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ok, finally found out Adguard for Windows does SUPPORT Librewolf portable.

Because the librewolf-96.0.0 folder has a LibreWolf-Portable app and also a LibreWolf folder. In Adguard if you set the path to this app then Adguard will NOT SUPPORT it

In the LibreWolf folder there's another librewolf app. Path to this app in Adguard and Librewolf IS SUPPORTED. See below

1647607236909.png

Last edited:

Slickone

Mar 29, 2022
Can you just make a few changes in Firefox's settings/config and end up with the same browser as LIbrewolf, or does it have other changes? And any idea how many settings are changed?

I'm using the portable zip version. Are you using the installed version?
Is that version really fully portable? It's not on portableapps.com. Their reason is because "LibreWolf is English only, 64-bit only, and doesn't have an updater on Windows."

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Can you just make a few changes in Firefox's settings/config and end up with the same browser as LIbrewolf, or does it have other changes? And any idea how many settings are changed?

Is that version really fully portable? It's not on portableapps.com. Their reason is because "LibreWolf is English only, 64-bit only, and doesn't have an updater on Windows."
LW makes use of js file. Tons of changes inside. You can make FF as hardened as LW provided you know what are the changes made to LW. To know what are the changes you'll need to look into the js file. I believe you can load the concerned js file into FF to harden it although I have not tried it.

Read my post #117 on a LW WinUpdater

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

Slickone

Mar 29, 2022
LW makes use of js file. Tons of changes inside. You can make FF as hardened as LW provided you know what are the changes made to LW. To know what are the changes you'll need to look into the js file. I believe you can load the concerned js file into FF to harden it although I have not tried it.

Read my post #117 on a LW WinUpdater
I had already seen your post on the updater. I was just mentioning that it was one of the reasons the head person at portableapps.com gave for not having Librewolf on his site. Personally, they seem like odd reasons, but it's not my site..

So, Librewolf portable is a true portable? I've used a couple apps in the past that were supposed to be portable, but weren't 100% (and interfered with installed app data).

Also, I've been reading posts comparing Librewolf and Firefox with Arkenfox user.js, but seems there's as many suggesting one as the other.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.