New Update LibreWolf Browser - A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
windows start screen blocked it, is it safe?
It's safe if you downloaded from the official source. Smartscreen blocked it in Edge due reputation. Defender ASR rule "Block executable files from running unless they meet prevalence, age or trusted criteria" blocks it for the same reason, but it may be bypassed if you disable the rule. Smartscreen is very conservative as to what it allows.

LibreWolf is lean and mean. :cool:

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
This browser is faster than FF but I don't understand why there are no tracking protection options available which means no Total Cookie Protection. 🤔

I think someone needs to update the developer. uBlock Origin definitely doesn't do the same thing just because it blocks trackers too... Even the newer Smart Block feature by Firefox, the Total Cookie Protection (mentioned by @oldschool) and the Supercookie Protection are good reasons to let people decide if they want to enable the enhanced tracking protection of Firefox. 🤦‍♂️

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Patching the default Firefox settings (#81) · Issues · LibreWolf / Settings
And you may see the referenced mention in the same note.
    • @fabrizio @fxbrit · 1 month ago
      Maintainer
      Further blocking of what, what are shims
      TP blocks some well known trackers and in strict mode it has additional lists to block fingerprinting and cryptomining scripts. you can read about it and test it for yourself, it catches some scripts that uBO in easy mode does not catch. it also play nicely with uBO as gorhill stated a few times [1] [2]. to avoid any breakage caused by using the list included in strict mode TP uses shims, also known as SmartBlock.
      what would that cleaning policy be
      strict mode includes dFPI (present in librewolf already), also known as total cookie protection. to go along with the 'cookie jar' setup provided they recently introduced a new cleaning mechanism that plays nicely with it.
      TP probably wouldn't make a world of difference because cleaning is pretty robust anyway, and we have dFPI already, but I also see no downsides on this front. for the tracking part we have uBO but as I said TP can still be useful in some instances. as a bonus the UI would be fixed and it would allow users to pick what they want, and we wouldn't be missing out on features in case firefox ties them to tracking protection in the future.
      on a side note TP hasn't had any privacy or security concern, it fetches it lists and then it does its thing. to fetch the lists it needs an outgoing connection, which is the only criticism I can see raised, but I personally don't see any privacy or security implication.
      in another issue you said:
      people seemed to have very strong negative opinions about it
      based on the above I believe there are some misconceptions about it honestly
    • Please register or sign in to reply

• @fabrizio @fxbrit mentioned in issue librewolf-community/browser/linux#246 1 day ago

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

I think someone needs to update the developer. uBlock Origin definitely doesn't do the same thing just because it blocks trackers too... Even the newer Smart Block feature by Firefox, the Total Cookie Protection (mentioned by @oldschool) and the Supercookie Protection are good reasons to let people decide if they want to enable the enhanced tracking protection of Firefox. 🤦‍♂️
From what I know LW is de-mozilla similar to Ungoogled Chromium which de-googles. Turning on FF features means you will be connecting to Mozilla and that defeats the purpose of having a high privacy browser

At any rate LW comes with built-in uBO which is great enough without those protections by FF. Of course adding a few more filter lists/extensions will make LW greater.

If I'm not wrong you can set not to accept cookies but with exceptions

And if you want to use those features you mentioned then it's better off you use FF

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
From what I know LW is de-mozilla similar to Ungoogled Chromium which de-googles. Turning on FF features means you will be connecting to Mozilla and that defeats the purpose of having a high privacy browser

At any rate LW comes with built-in uBO which is great enough without those protections by FF. Of course adding a few more extensions will make LW greater.

If I'm not wrong you can set not to accept cookies but with exceptions

And if you want to use those features you mentioned then it's better off you use FF
True, to a degree. The LW developer in the post above feels that having the option to enable TP is worth any privacy trade-off, a trade-off which is certainly negligible even if debatable. See those links for more info.

Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
True, to a degree. The LW developer in the post above feels that having the option to enable TP is worth any privacy trade-off, a trade-off which is certainly negligible even if debatable. See those links for more info.
Yes, I have read those links.

Well, if they provide the options and privacy is a non issue then it's fine, but it seems redundant for uBO is already there. Like I said, you can add extra filter lists/extensions to enhance LW

Reactions: Nevi and oldschool

n8chavez

Level 16
Well-known
Feb 26, 2021
You can enable them in LibreWolf if you want them. Just edit the librewolf.cfg, turning the protections from false to true. Below if the entire edited tracking section, regardless of change. This will enable those protections, and make the stats visible.

// -----------------------------------
// # TRACKING PROTECTION
// -----------------------------------

pref("browser.contentblocking.category", "custom"); // set tracking protection category, using pref solves the UI bug

// enable / disable TP in normal and private browsing
lockPref("privacy.trackingprotection.enabled", true);
lockPref("privacy.trackingprotection.pbmode.enabled", true);

lockPref("privacy.trackingprotection.annotate_channels", false); // reduce priority of trackers, remove if TP is on

// remove urls to fetch contentblocking lists.
// without these urls TP cannot work. the lists are not shipped with the browser but download on first launch.
defaultPref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.updateURL", "");
defaultPref("browser.safebrowsing.provider.mozilla.gethashURL", "");

// disable blocking lists and hide ui elements in custom mode UI, if TP is enabled revert to true
defaultPref("privacy.trackingprotection.cryptomining.enabled", true);
defaultPref("privacy.trackingprotection.fingerprinting.enabled", true);
defaultPref("browser.contentblocking.cryptomining.preferences.ui.enabled", true);
defaultPref("browser.contentblocking.fingerprinting.preferences.ui.enabled", true);

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.