New Update LibreWolf Browser - A fork of Firefox, focused on privacy, security and freedom

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Anyone has issue with uBlock Origin? The color bands on LW (right picture) are missing as compared to uBO in FF on the left side?

1641999199114.png

Attachments

• 1641999094836.png
    1641999094836.png
    273.8 KB · Views: 124

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Release v96.0.1 · LibreWolf / Browser / Windows
  • The Mozilla release notes.
  • This is a bugfix release for a bug with HTTP/3 handling in general, and a proxy bug on windows.
V.96.0 was released 5 days ago. Release 96.0 · LibreWolf / Browser / Windows
  • The Mozilla release notes.
  • We're using a new build process, it's been tested and things should work normally.
  • Added new about-dialog, and improved the LibreWolf settings, the search engines have been revised.
  • Many improvements to the librewolf.cfg, which is now at version 5.1

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
For any users who were wondering, LibreWolf uses Strict Tracking Protection as default.
  • @fabrizio @fxbrit · 2 months ago

as I said above TP and uBO cooperate nicely, and even tho on that front TP is less powerful, it catches some scripts that default uBO misses. also, its functionalities are not limited to blocking trackers, as you can read above (they also added referrer policies recently).
    given that it has basically no significant downsides, I think it's worth having it.

• fabrizio
    @fabrizio @fxbrit · 9 hours ago
    Owner
    no longer relevant since we are now using strict mode.
I tried LibreWolf recently, looks like browser processes aren't signed at all, may can anyone confirm that?
Can't confirm as this issue is above my pay grade.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For any users who were wondering, LibreWolf uses Strict Tracking Protection as default.

Can't confirm as this issue is above my pay grade.
I just downloaded v96.0.3 portable and as you can see below with LW's default setting is in Standard mode NOT Strict mode. You need to enable Strict mode if you need it.

1643778228089.png

Last edited:

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
I tried LibreWolf recently, looks like browser processes aren't signed at all, may can anyone confirm that?
Confirmed, they are unsigned.

I just downloaded v96.0.3 and as you can see below with LW's default setting is in Standard mode NOT Strict mode. You need to enable Strict mode if you need it.
I just downloaded it for the first time and it is in strict mode

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
LW portable version. I'm talking of the ZIP file and NOT the EXE file version.

LW does not auto update when there's a new version being release, and it creates a problem if you try to use a new version over the old.

Assuming you have an existing version say v96.0.2 you'll see that it creates a folder librewolf-96.0.2 and inside will have 2 folders (namely, LibreWolf and Profiles) and a file, librewolf-portable.exe

If you manually download the new v96.0.3 zip version and perform the extraction, it'll create another folder, v96.0.3 and inside will similarly have 2 folders and 1 file as above. So it's NOT overriding the old v96.0.2 version. The problem is all the settings and extensions in v96.0.2 will NOT appear in the new v96.0.3 if you execute the librewolf-portable.exe file of the v96.0.3 version

To solve the problem, go to GitHub - ltGuillaume/LibreWolf-WinUpdater: An attempt to make updating LibreWolf for Windows much easier to get the Librewolf WinUpdater and install following the instructions.

You'll get v96.0.3 after you update successfully and running librewolf-portable.exe. The only problem is the folder librewolf-96.0.2 still remains as librewolf-96.0.2. It does NOT rename to librewolf-96.0.3

Note :- The LibreWolf WinUpdater is developed for both the exe and portable versions

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

BEWARE FAKE SECURITY CLAIM

Fun fact: for the update process you cant' increase your Windows security. SimpleWindowsHardening and SysHardener both offer an option to deny elevation of unsigned and set PowerShell execution policy to restricted. The installer and executables are unsigned, so you can't set UAC to only elevate executables which are signed and validated. The portable update script requires to set the Powershell execution policy to Remote Signed (in stead of Restricted). Combined with the weaker security of Firefox compared to Chromium based browser the claim of authors (focused on security) is a flagrant lie.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • +Reputation
Reactions: Moonhorse

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
BEWARE FAKE SECURITY CLAIM

Fun fact: for the update process you cant' increase your Windows security. SimpleWindowsHardening and SysHardener both offer an option to deny elevation of unsigned and set PowerShell execution policy to restricted. The installer and executables are unsigned, so you can't set UAC to only elevate executables which are signed and validated. The portable update script requires to set the Powershell execution policy to Remote Signed (in stead of Restricted). Combined with the weaker security of Firefox compared to Chromium based browser the claim of authors (focused on security) is a flagrant lie.
But I'm not using PowerShell to do anything like setting a scheduled task for update so should be ok

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.