Battle Lightest Av/Internet Security 2012-13 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
After the good response to Thread by MalwareTips members (Thanks) which helped user to get some knowledge about the lightest antivirus/internet security suite,now its time to again discuss and vote for Lightness of New version of av products.

The old thread was 6 months old and almost every vendor have come out with 2013 version so please vote according to your experience with new version of product.

Thanks .

You can vote to the product either you used only av or security suite like avast user can vote to avast "option" either he have avast free avast pro or avast IS.

You can mention it in your reply.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I will have to stick with Trend. Mind you out of the tests that I did for MalwareTips and YouTube, I will have to go for Norton. Was very light when installed and running, but on my real machine, have not changed from Trend Micro.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
McLovin said:
I will have to stick with Trend. Mind you out of the tests that I did for MalwareTips and YouTube, I will have to go for Norton. Was very light when installed and running, but on my real machine, have not changed from Trend Micro.

Sorry to say I have missed many product in the list because I am only allowed 10 items in voting list,You can choose "other" option and mention name of product in reply.
Some of product missing are:
Avg
Bullguard
F-secure
Kingsoft
MSE
Outpost
Panda
Quickheal
Trend Micro
Trustport
Vipre
Zonealarm

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
I wonder who is going to make a new years resolution on using a brand new AV for 6 months that they have never used before, because I know I won't last. :D

D

Deleted member 178

1- Webroot SA, almost all layers covered for low resource usage and great efficiency.
2- CIS v6, same reason as above

P

Plexx

ESET V5 & CIS for the reasons that have been said over and over again by many users.

On a side note, nothing changed since last thread. Also considering that 2013 versions for most vendors have been released during last 6 months, I fail to understand the need of this thread.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
On a side note, nothing changed since last thread. Also considering that 2013 versions for most vendors have been released during last 6 months, I fail to understand the need of this thread.

The last thread was started on 16.06.2012 and I think most vote come within 15 days of thread started so it mean most of voting done bu june 2012 and most av released their new version after june so that is why I started new thread.

For Example take a look at bitdefender 2012 & avira 2012:
Bitdefender 2012 was unusable and I assure you it had get highest vote in heaviest av voting but 2013 version is excellent and I have included it in voting si place of Avg.

Avira 2012:eek:ne of the light av suite but seems it is loosing it effectiveness with 2013 version but still one of the lightest.

Hope I clear my point to start new thread and voting :)

thanks

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Unknown I have give multiple choice option because user sometime get confused between 2 product and not able to decide which one is more better/light.
So member should vote for maximum 2 av but not 7-8 out of 10 :p

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
I've not used a wide range of products recently to compare.

I haven either, I have only used Avast Free and BitDefender 2013 free edition. I will say that BitDefender 2013 free is extremely light. After all of the positive reviews, I had to try it. I use ZoneAlarm Security Suite Free on my other system and it is quite light for a suite.

CIS 6 wouldn't work on my system, it kept crashing with runtime errors because I never got to see how light it was.

Thanks.:D

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I have used Eset for a very long time and I have to say ESETv5 was my first choice.I also have tried many others but my second choice was Bitdefender total Security .I have tried BD on both Windows 7 & 8 and it was very light on my system.If I had another 2 votes,I would have to say Trend Micro and WSA.In fairness to Comodo,I havent used it in a long time so cannot comment except for what I have read.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Littlebits said:
I will say that BitDefender 2013 free is extremely light. After all of the positive reviews, I had to try it.

Finally one more who like Bitdefender 2013 and yes White Nobster too :D

you can also try BTS or BIS and they are light too

NathanF1

Level 2
Verified
Jul 9, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
1- Webroot SA, almost all layers covered for low resource usage and great efficiency.
2- CIS v6, same reason as above

Same for me, WRSA and Comodo made a single-core Atom netbook with 1 GB RAM feel very fast and responsive again [with some additional help from Windows 8 too], and basically saved it from being thrown out or given away. I was using avast Free before that, and though no slouch, the performance hit it was causing is apparent.

WRSA feels unnaturally light, given all the shields at work. Comodo's claim about "the fastest and the least resource intensive product we have released so far" feels right on the money.

Attachments

• COMODO Firewall Resource Usage 02.png
    COMODO Firewall Resource Usage 02.png
    130.8 KB · Views: 554
  • Webroot SecureAnywhere Overview.png
    Webroot SecureAnywhere Overview.png
    140 KB · Views: 465
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.