Battle Lightest Av/Internet Security 2012-13 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
After the good response to Thread by MalwareTips members (Thanks) which helped user to get some knowledge about the lightest antivirus/internet security suite,now its time to again discuss and vote for Lightness of New version of av products.

The old thread was 6 months old and almost every vendor have come out with 2013 version so please vote according to your experience with new version of product.

Thanks .

You can vote to the product either you used only av or security suite like avast user can vote to avast "option" either he have avast free avast pro or avast IS.

You can mention it in your reply.

McLovin

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Malware Hunter
Apr 17, 2011
So far mostly everyone has voted for Comodo and 2 for Norton/Avast. Thought that they would of been a bit higher.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
McLovin said:
So far mostly everyone has voted for Comodo and 2 for Norton/Avast. Thought that they would of been a bit higher.

As with any poll, people will tend to vote for their favorite product even if it doesn't fit the poll description.

Thanks.:D

samit

Level 12
Verified
Nov 4, 2011
so far products I have tested in my laptop, I feel Avast, Comodo, Eset and Norton are the lightest among them....Bitdefender 2013 version doesn't feel so heavy like its 2012 version but it slow downs internet speed badly.....

P

Plexx

Umbra Corp. said:
funny that few people tested Webroot or Panda

you have a set amount of categories for users:

*Fanboys of a specific product
*Users who decide based on comments/reviews/lab tests/tests
*Users who go with the FOTM
*Advanced users
*Users who any AV will do as long as it fits their needs

So for Panda and Webroot, you will only have the last 2 categories of users using it, with a relatively small minority on the category of users I have not listed which are beginners.

Majority of the users simply won't pay for Webroot when there are more well known names. Not to mention why on earth won't include a exclude scan option for folders...

As for Panda, it boils down to personal preference. I for example have installed Panda Cloud AV Free on over 10 machines of my friends simply because it does the job and less headaches for them to update signatures etc. avast! being the other alternative, depending if they are a gamer or want additional protection.

I purposely excluded beginner users from the list above due to this:
They will not install several AV Solutions during the course of 6 months or more, therefore, there will be hardly any available comparison;
They will simply not venture in testing different products because they don't need to: If one solution does the job why change it? (If it ain't broke, don't fix it motto).

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Comodo leading nearby 4X from second lightest......no way
Tested Yesterday and it was light but not lighter then few name in poling list.
Web browsing quite slow compare to almost all in the voting list

P

Plexx

Stranger said:

I'm confused: How did Comodo slow down web browsing?

Comodo is light as opposed to many who say BD is light when in truth they are comparing to 2012, or saying KIS is light when it is only light compared to previous versions.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Biozfear said:
Stranger said:

I'm confused: How did Comodo slow down web browsing?

Comodo is light as opposed to many who say BD is light when in truth they are comparing to 2012, or saying KIS is light when it is only light compared to previous versions.
I doesn' mean to say BD is light or Kis is light I am only saying that Cisis not lightest of all when i run it on my pc

P

Plexx

Stranger said:
I doesn' mean to say BD is light or Kis is light I am only saying that Cisis not lightest of all when i run it on my pc

My question was actually how did CIS slow down your browsing experience as that is one point I cannot understand at all.

As for the lightness, to be honest, this thread/poll like the previous one is a bit of pointless simply because most results will be personal reasons and you will then have users of product A saying its light when a group of users will say that product A is actually the other way around and far from light and everyone will just give out their own opinions without proof for their claims.

Not to mention common misconception of users: Lightness does not mean low RAM usage.

Also, everyone shouldl be aware that the same product performs totally different in different systems with different hardware.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
My question was actually how did CIS slow down your browsing experience as that is one point I cannot understand at all.

me too didn't understand as cis don't have web protection,By slow browsing I don't mean slow surfing but images open were slow

As for the lightness, to be honest, this thread/poll like the previous one is a bit of pointless

The thread is not a holy book and its just for a user experience with specific product.At least here at MalwareTips we are allowed to do so

Not to mention common misconception of users: Lightness does not mean low RAM usage.

I think more than 70% of MT active members know that :D
[/quote]

SamChan

Level 2
Jun 20, 2011
I've been used KIS and Norton 2012, and now I'm using Avira Internet Security. I think that Avira is the lightest internet security 2012-13 version and I'm very pleased with it.

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
SamChan said:
I've been used KIS and Norton 2012, and now I'm using Avira Internet Security. I think that Avira is the lightest internet security 2012-13 version and I'm very pleased with it.

Now i think Comodo Internet Security 6 is lightest.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
Unknown said:
Now i think Comodo Internet Security 6 is lightest.

Webroot SA complete is the lightest ever

I have never tried Webroot SA complete but many reports will confirm that it is the lightest.

Maybe the title of this poll should be changed to "Lightest Av/Internet Security 2012-13 version that you have tried". Since most users have not tried all of the options listed, you can tell by the votes that users are just voting for what they have tried. If you have only used one product then it is your lightest.

Thanks.:D

D

Deleted member 178

Littlebits said:
Maybe the title of this poll should be changed to "Lightest Av/Internet Security 2012-13 version that you have tried". Since most users have not tried all of the options listed, you can tell by the votes that users are just voting for what they have tried. If you have only used one product then it is your lightest.

very true

Webroot resources usage

hZRnj.jpg

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
On the Title: I have it in my mind but I thought it was too big and Mclovin will report me :p

On webroot being lightest: Umbra as you know most of members always mention that less Ram usage does not mean its the lightest.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.