Battle Lightest Av/Internet Security 2012-13 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
After the good response to Thread by MalwareTips members (Thanks) which helped user to get some knowledge about the lightest antivirus/internet security suite,now its time to again discuss and vote for Lightness of New version of av products.

The old thread was 6 months old and almost every vendor have come out with 2013 version so please vote according to your experience with new version of product.

Thanks .

You can vote to the product either you used only av or security suite like avast user can vote to avast "option" either he have avast free avast pro or avast IS.

You can mention it in your reply.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Umbra Corp. said:
i know , i am among those to say that but in WSA case it is true ^^

No debate about webroot but I think my machine don't like cloud as panda cloud too given me some web slowdown.

I have read on wilders few days ago that cloud protection is not always that light which its claim and I agree with this statement.

D

Deleted member 178

in fact, the cloud by itself is light, but the way the software is designed may be heavy; especially if it has lot of processes for extra features. Just compare HMP with Panda CAV for example.

WSA installer is 700k big, very light compared to other products, one reason of its lightness.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
HMP is quite different thing and its have no impact on system.
You have not got my point Umbra.

People and and Reviewer decide on lightness of product by:

1... Offline installer size + space occupied on hd after installation.
2... Response of other product on machine after av installation.(like opening browser,office etc)
3....Ram usage and cpu usage by product.
4....Shutdown/start time impact.
5.... Impact on browsing speed.

People often claim cloud av as light because the first four points are in favor of cloud av but one of the most important feature when we decide the impact of av on our system is point no 5 in which cloud av is always heavier and have lot of impact .

P

Plexx

Stranger said:
People and and Reviewer decide on lightness of product by:

1... Offline installer size + space occupied on hd after installation.
2... Response of other product on machine after av installation.(like opening browser,office etc)
3....Ram usage and cpu usage by product.
4....Shutdown/start time impact.
5.... Impact on browsing speed.

People often claim cloud av as light because the first four points are in favor of cloud av but one of the most important feature when we decide the impact of av on our system is point no 5 in which cloud av is always heavier and have lot of impact .

Point 1 is actually not a point that is tied up to Lightness. You will see references to point 1, however it is never a basis nor a reason for the reviewer to label nor measure the lightness of a product. The reviewers that use point 1 as a reason for lightness, you can pretty much skip the rest of the review since it is like comparing Potatos with Tomatos.

Lightness of a product is actually the conjunction of point 2 to 5, and all are just as important, not simply browsing speed being the most important.

Until this date, no cloud av has slowed down my browsing speed (on different systems I have used, ranging from Low to High End systems).

On a side note: You will also see a lot of users saying how the RAM is on Idle. Point 4 has more to simply RAM and CPU usage. One needs to also look into I/O mainly on Scanning mode. Idle mode doesn't matter much as Scanning mode. Sure Idle mode would be troublesome but on a long term, Scan Mode is more troublesome with High I/O.

I would be more worried for a high I/O whilst performing a scan than a standard 100MB Idle RAM usage for example. Luckly ESET's I/O whilst scanning is not high compared to some vendors, hence it is known for one of the lightest solutions without much visible impact on the system.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
Biozfear: I know point 1 is useless but still I notice it in that many review.
I have already said that I don't know about other machine but on my 2 desktop and 1 laptop I don't feel slowdown in browsing even with kaspersky,bitdefender like av but cloud av freezes browsing speed specially when i go to images sites.

Thanks

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
From Avira, Avast and Norton; I've found that Norton has to be lightest in my opinion since 2 processes + this not caused some slowdowns during the times it was on my system.

For Avira my boot times before was increased in additional 20-30 seconds from its original like 10-15 seconds.

Some products which are purely Cloud AV, definitely its really light since they are using light fingerprint method thus everything need for operation is an active connectivity.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What about disk usage of AV/IS suites while idle, tasks etc; I believe it is also important how a product handles disk usage.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
You people must be out of your minds saying that Comodo or ESET or anything else is lighter than Webroot.
There is no lighter IS than Webroot!

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Then you should try. In idle it takes ~3MB of RAM and it almost doesn't touch CPU.

D

Deleted member 178

pablozi said:
You people must be out of your minds saying that Comodo or ESET or anything else is lighter than Webroot.

ESET is slightly lighter than Webroot.

Light doesn't mean low RAM usage but fast responsiveness of the system. On my tests in a clean system, ESET is always slightly faster than WSA when opening context menus, new windows, files or system tools.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Umbra Corp. said:
pablozi said:

ESET is slightly lighter than Webroot.

Light doesn't mean low RAM usage but fast responsiveness of the system. On my tests in a clean system, ESET is always slightly faster than WSA when opening context menus, new windows, files or system tools.

Are you kiding? Never felt any slowdowns while using Webroot even on max settings ;)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
CPU that are writing in I/O and other contribution where it based mostly on the impact on the system.

RAM consumption is second through needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.