Battle Lightest Av/Internet Security 2012-13 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spirit

Level 2
Thread author
May 17, 2012
After the good response to Thread by MalwareTips members (Thanks) which helped user to get some knowledge about the lightest antivirus/internet security suite,now its time to again discuss and vote for Lightness of New version of av products.

The old thread was 6 months old and almost every vendor have come out with 2013 version so please vote according to your experience with new version of product.

Thanks .

You can vote to the product either you used only av or security suite like avast user can vote to avast "option" either he have avast free avast pro or avast IS.

You can mention it in your reply.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its based on the experience by the user at all, so far ESET and CIS are tied for lightest but they have cons to each other regarding in stability.

ESET = RAM Consumption problems by some users
CIS = tends to be heavy by some users too.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
EAM 7 is the lightest for me 15mb on idle,and overall feels very light indeed!

JuniorTavares

Jul 8, 2013
Tested:

Bit Defender IS 2014
Comodo IS Premium
Webroot Secure Anywhere 2014

Comodo IS is not light,it was noticeable the performance loss. Videos,photos and unzipping files feels unresponsive compared to Bit Defender and Webroot.

Webroot is the lightest AV i ever used.

I have 280 days license for BIS but i removed due to various bugs regarding wallet feature and services stopped working out of nothing.

For me,the best combo is Webroot + Online armor. they are extremely light and efficient.

Memory consumption alone do not define if a Security Suite i lighter than the other. Responsiveness is more important to me. I have 8GB RAM and memory is not my problem.

**sorry for my english,im from Brazil :DD**

Webroot

Verified
Jul 16, 2013
I'm just guessing.. but I'd say Webroot wins on the performance scale hands-down.

Just a couple of seconds on the download. Couple of more seconds for install. Scans are usually under 2 mins (after the initial scan). We've done internal benchmarking -- we haven't seen any instances where we slow down the machine noticeably.

So I haven't personally run some of the other AV's on the list, but I'm guessing we can hold our own against any of them -- if not offer better performance and lower memory footprint than the others.

bob974

Level 4
Verified
Feb 5, 2013
malbky said:
I would go with webroot and Trend. Also CIS seems light enough.
Also I am just waiting to see, who says KIS is the lightest suite.

actually,I'm with trend micro + Webroot
Eset and Webroot is also light.

JuniorTavares

Jul 8, 2013
Unfortunately Online Armor disables hibernation on Win 8.1 for me... The screen turn black and the monitor and USB devices turn off,but the PC stays on.

I heard this is a known bug only on Win 8.1 and they are working on a fix for this.

I really like Online Armor firewall.

Amiga500

Level 12
Verified
Jan 27, 2013
Out of the products i have tried i would say ESET is by far the lightest and most windows friendliest application i have used.I am using it at the moment and its flawless.

dwarfin

Level 1
Verified
Aug 16, 2013
Zonealarm 11 av plus firewall is in terms of cpu draining is really light but Its kinda heavy on ram (more than 200 mb ). If you got at least 3 - 4 gb it will run excellent.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
Some common facts that a lot of users don't acknowledge about how light a product will run on their system.

1. Products may run a lot lighter or heavier on different systems. There is no product that will run exactly the same way on all systems.

2. Memory Usage (RAM) is not an important factor to imply how a product will run in terms of lightness unless you are using Windows XP or earlier version of Windows or you don't have a least 1GB of RAM installed to your system. Microsoft made many improvements on how Windows can handle memory usage starting with Windows Vista to current Windows 8. However many users will still post screenshots about memory usage of a product to imply that it is light or heavy on current Windows Vista, Windows 7 & 8 which means nothing at all.

3. Lightness of a product depends on several factors:
* Version of Windows (XP and earlier handle memory usage poorly)
* Type and speed of CPU (Processor, single core, dual, quad or 6 to 8 core, etc.)
* RAM installed and type (Vista, Windows 7 & 8 should have a least 1GB installed for 32-bit and 4GB for 64-bit) if you want to run new games and programs, some will require more.) RAM also comes in different qualities, some will offer faster read and write cycles than others.)
* Type of hard drive (SATA connected hard drives have better speed than IDE, USB, there are also higher quality gaming hard drives which will have better speeds than standard budget hard drives.)

4. HDD cables:
(Hard drive cables also come in different qualities, if you have bought just a basic PC from a retail store, then it is likely they used the cheapest cables available.) Higher quality cables cost more and can distribute stronger signals from your hard drive to your motherboard making everything a bit faster, special gaming PC should include higher quality cables.)

5. Software conflicts:
Sometimes some installed software will not be fully compatible with other installed software, these conflicts will make everything run slower than expected.

So unless everyone who has voted in this poll has exactly the same system with the same software and system settings, this poll doesn't mean anything because there are too many factors to consider.

Enjoy!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.