Battle Lightweight Anti-Malware with Real-time Protection (Paid or free)?

Higher Power

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 11, 2018
Now I'm using Windows Defender and Zemana Premium, but I feel like Zemana isn't updated for long. (I use it because I saw many people on this website long ago commented that it was good.)

Before that, I used MBAM Premium. Should I go back to MBAM or there are other programs that meet my expectation?

Thank you.

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Now I'm using Windows Defender and Zemana Premium, but I feel like Zemana isn't updated for long. (I use it because I saw many people on this website long ago commented that it was good.)

Before that, I used MBAM Premium. Should I go back to MBAM or there are other programs that meet my expectation?

Thank you.
I have talked to Zemana support and they say it is supposed to have an update "This month" which was like 1-2 months ago, so that means it is 1-2 months overdue. I do not know what they are doing over there, but I guess there should be updates soon. I got a program update for my Zemana on Android yesterday though.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011

Thank you.
If you use Windows 10, then Windows Defender Antivirus provides real-time virus and malware protection. For Antivirus with more features, then you may need to look at other options.

Zemana Antimalware is cloud-based, hence less Program Updates for bug fixes and UI improvements. And as long as you have an Always-On Internet connection you should remain protected against new threats with Real-time scanning (Premium).

Having complimentary real-time scanners can have a negative effect on performance. You may begin to notice longer start-up times, increased resource (CPU/RAM/Storage) usage and other activities like accessing large files or downloads.

More real-time protection does NOT mean better protection.

Consider these options:
  • Keep Windows OS and Software up-to-date - Allow the OS to install Quality Updates (Security and Patches).
  • Browser extensions:
    • an Ad-Blocker (or Content Blocker) to hide unwanted Adverts, Trackers and Bad domains.
    • an Anti-Phishing/Malware extension to block access to dangerous and phishing sites
  • Avoid shady downloads, suspicious emails attachments and warez.
  • Make regular backups of data

Once you have decided, please share your PC Security Configuration (and where you can post updates about changes, in a single thread).

Bill K

Level 5
Verified
Jul 25, 2018
Adlice Diag, could be what are you looking for. (y)
You should take note of this warning about the current version of Adlice Diag:

Important: Until Diag is released in version 1 and above, it remains a software in BETA testing version.
Even though it has been fully tested, please use with caution and do NOT USE (or make use) ON MACHINES YOU DON'T OWN, especially for malware removal on forums.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Panda (both free and paid) is extremely light, even on low end computers. You can use ForgottenSeer 58943's settings if you use a paid version, to get much better protection.
Q&A - Panda Dome Advanced w/SG Settings.

I second this. Run Panda Dome Free + OSA/Syshardener and you are good. Windows Defender is a bloated pig that will make your computer feel sluggish. Panda Dome Free+OSA it will run like the wind. If you don't mind dropping a couple bucks and get the Advanced and roll with SG settings and that's sufficient enough.

L

Local Host

You already using Windows Defender (which is a resource hog), so adding Malwarebytes on top (that is another resource hog) would cripple your computer performance.

I advise against using Panda at it leaves behind a ton of drivers, if you feel the need to remove it down the line,

If you looking for lightweight and effective, try ESET.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Most anti-malware offer realtime protection on their paid products only and ZAM is one of the lightest.

You can also consider ad-aware adaware antivirus 12, which now offers realtime protection against viruses (Bitdefender engine) and malware (own engine).
If you enable the realtime protection, it can't work with Windows Defender.
If you wanna keep Windows Defender, you can install ad-aware in “Compatible Mode” (realtime protection will be disabled).
3_9.png

Another option (more an anti-PUP rather than anti-malware) could be ReasonCore Security
Download - Reason Core Security
The free version offers realtime protection, but if you wanna remove a malware, you need to purchase the pro version

RC.png

Last edited:

uninfected1

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2016
I have talked to Zemana support and they say it is supposed to have an update "This month" which was like 1-2 months ago, so that means it is 1-2 months overdue. I do not know what they are doing over there, but I guess there should be updates soon. I got a program update for my Zemana on Android yesterday though.
Zemana have been promising many things for a long time now, updates, new products etc, and none of them have happened, so I'm very skeptical about these updates ever appearing. As was discussed on another thread, the company would appear to be in quite a predicament and their products aren't as good as they used to be so probably best to avoid them.

Anyway, another recommendation for Panda Dome Free + NoVirusThanks OSArmor. I'm actually using Kaspersky Security Cloud Free with it instead but it isn't as light as Panda and may be a little resource heavy for the OP.

AriDfoix

Level 3
Verified
Sep 2, 2018
I honestly will have some troubles to choose an antimalware that do the antimalware only nowadays, furthermore if is realtime... The security layers I builded around play well together, I am quite sure I will have overlapping if I try some of them :love:

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Panda (both free and paid) is extremely light, even on low end computers.
Yes, it is probably the lightest AV out there with a decent detection, but lets not forget it is a cloud AV only. A reliable connection is required, preferably not WiFi, and it can slow down or even break down browsing or other internet activities, while waiting for the response from the cloud.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
When and how did you experience this brake down you are talking about while using WiFi? Which steps did you take to reproduce it?
Simple, just by using it. By default "Block files" is set to 30 secs, if you lower it to 10 secs, it helps to mitigate the problem almost entirely, but that does not help the protection, since it basically allows the file without checking it first. Cloud is great as an additional option, not as the sole solution.

Dhruv2193

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Nov 7, 2016
Adaware Antivirus, ReasonCore, Emsisoft, and Panda are very interesting programs, I should give it a try. Thanks you all :)

Is Windows Defender really use that much of RAM? For me, It hasn't affect my pc's performance so far.
If you are not feeling any performance lag with windows defender, then surely use it with Mbam or any other good solution like Voodooshield.

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Is Windows Defender really use that much of RAM? For me, It hasn't affect my pc's performance so far.
I think it depends on every PC. I had high CPU and disk usage and it even forced my PC to reboot... but maybe it's working fine with your PC :)

Adaware Antivirus, ReasonCore, Emsisoft, and Panda are very interesting programs, I should give it a try. Thanks you all :)
First you have to decide whether to keep using Windows Defender or not.
If so, you need to add a SW that can run alongside it (ReasonCore, VooDoo Shield, NoVirusThanks OSArmor).
If you want something to replace it, then you have much more options :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.