Question Littlest lightest modified Windows 11 ISO version for VM

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
Hello!

If you're looking for a light version of Windows 11 to test software on a virtual machine, you can try using a minimal installation using the Windows 11 ISO provided by Microsoft. During the installation process, you can customize the installation options and remove any unnecessary features, apps, and components to make it smaller and more lightweight.

Additionally, you can explore tools like NTLite, which allows you to create a custom Windows installation by removing components and features that are not required for your specific needs.

Please keep in mind that modifying the Windows installation may not be supported and could potentially lead to unforeseen issues or incompatibilities. It's always recommended to use a clean and fully supported version of Windows for testing purposes.

Reactions: Nevi and vtqhtr413

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
Hello!

If you're looking for a light version of Windows 11 to test software on a virtual machine, you can try using a minimal installation using the Windows 11 ISO provided by Microsoft. During the installation process, you can customize the installation options and remove any unnecessary features, apps, and components to make it smaller and more lightweight.
How?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
To create a minimal installation of Windows 11, you can follow these steps:

1. Download the official Windows 11 ISO file from the Microsoft website.
2. Create a new virtual machine using your preferred VM software (e.g., VirtualBox, VMware, Hyper-V).
3. Attach the downloaded Windows 11 ISO file to the virtual machine and start the installation process.
4. During the installation, you will reach a screen where you can customize the installation. Click on the "Customize settings" option.

Note: The steps may vary slightly depending on your virtual machine software.

5. In the customization options, you can choose which components, features, and apps to include or exclude from the installation. Here are some suggestions for minimizing the installation:

- Unselect any optional features that are not necessary for your testing purposes.
- Disable or remove any pre-installed apps that you won't need for your software testing.
- Opt out of any additional settings, such as data collection or advertising features, that you don't require.

6. Once you have customized the installation settings, proceed with the installation as usual following the on-screen instructions.

By customizing the installation, you can remove unnecessary components and features to create a more lightweight version of Windows 11 for your testing purposes.

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
It costs.
I apologize for the confusion. Yes, NTLite does have a paid version with additional features and capabilities. If you are looking for a free alternative, you can try using tools like MSMG Toolkit or WinReducer. These tools can help in customizing a Windows installation by removing unnecessary components and features, allowing you to create a lightweight version for testing purposes. Just keep in mind that modifying the installation may not be officially supported and could potentially lead to unforeseen issues. It's always recommended to use a clean and fully supported version of Windows for testing purposes.

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
WinReducer is free and can remove thing down to detailed level to a larger extent then MSMG.
It is actually our best and only choice, as far as i know, if you do not want to pay for NTLite.
Thank you

Is this Software | WinReducerOS ? alpha stage not developed from almost two years?

P.S. subcategories are all empty

Attachments

• WinReducer.jpg
    WinReducer.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Thank you

Is this Software | WinReducerOS ? alpha stage not developed from almost two years?

P.S. subcategories are all empty

Yes it is, or was. That was bad news.
Well, then there only is NTLite and MSGM. With NTLite and some cleaning i usually get W11 Home as small as 9.0 - 9.5GB. I can get it to be about 8, but then things gets broken.

What problem do you have with MSMG?

Alexai

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 12, 2023
I have not used MSMG for a long time, but i suppose that your problem is that you want to remove other things, also, then what is in MSMG:s lists?

By the way, why did not Tiny suffice?
Well, How to Create a Custom Windows 11 Install Disk, With Only the Features You Need said to download win image from uupdump . net , but I don't know it, someone knows?

Otherwise, screen above says I can only choose the third option (look down)
And I can't choose anything in package list

About Tiny11, I wanna try something by myself ;)

Oh my, there's 1310 pages on my digital life about msmg :eek:

Attachments

• msmg.jpg
    msmg.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Well, How to Create a Custom Windows 11 Install Disk, With Only the Features You Need said to download win image from uupdump . net , but I don't know it, someone knows?

Otherwise, screen above says I can only choose the third option (look down)
And I can't choose anything in package list

About Tiny11, I wanna try something by myself ;)

You do not NEED that ISO, it is just for his ends that he says so. So it is not a necessity.
MSMG has a thread over at - MyDigitalLifeForum, they will tell you all you want to know.

But NTLite is not that expensive, and you can play around with ISO:s and installed images as much as you like, over and over to test your idèas. It is very easy to use and intuitive.
It has the upper hand to MSMG that it can "Remove reinstalls", which will happen sooner or later with some things. MSMG:s removal is therefore partially short termed.

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
Hallo!

I need the littlest to test some software on a vm.
Already try tiny11.

Try to do mine with msmg toolkit and shades toolkit but I can't

The cleaning afterwards are equally important to get a small Os.
Dism++ is excellent.
The Av - 360 Total Security has a very good cleaner.
HiBit uninstallers crap cleaner as well.

The above will remove at least several GB:s.

Install, use and uninstall the above as you like.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Here's my old article about slimming down a Windows 10 ISO, but you can use the same for 11 too. MSMG is the way

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.