Battle Low-end PC : WinXP or Win7

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ok guys,

My touchscreen mini-laptop here : Asus X102BA review | TechRadar

Cpu : Atom A4 1Ghz ,
RAM: 2Gb (1.44 available)

it is not powerful enough to run Win8/10 smoothly enough; so i have to downgrade it to an older OS.

my requirements:

- Fast performance , i want it to run smoothly, no lags, no hangs.
- Security: the architecture have to give me enough security , however, i can boost it by adding softs to complement it.
- Compatibility: remember , i have a touchscreen (but i can live without it)

so my choices are:

WinXP : obviously the faster choice , but in security , i lose a lot, however i have enough skills to secure it as a fortress.

Win7 Ultimate : seems to be the best choice. but im not sure 1.44 RAM would be enough to handle it.

What do you think?

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
one thing w7 is better than winxp is when HDD has a few bad sectors, it automatically fix the bad sectors immediately (pc freezes for a while) then the pc can be used normally until it finds another bad sector, while xp just freezes forever (cpu peaking, cant click anymore) and requires manual disk checking

W7 saved me sometimes in the past. I dont know the exact mechanism, just simply my observation. In this case, I belive w7 can extend hdd lifespan by fixing tiny bad sectors while xp will make bad sectors spread further

please correct me if Im wrong

H

hjlbx

Thread author
on mine i think the CPU is too weak, opening a tab in Edge took a minute...

I think CPU will be OK if you hack away at what is installed.

I mean you can get system partition down into the 15 to 16 GB range - maybe even less, tweak virtual memory and use only what is absolutely needed for system start-up.

My W10 test system is essentially W10 LTSB @ 15.5 GB system partition; as you can tell I did major surgery on it...

Anyhow, with Atom CPU there is only so much you can do... disk I\O rate is the biggest factor followed by RAM capacity.

XP is a dog... You are gonna run into the backward compatibility trap.

H

hjlbx

Thread author
It sure ain't gonna be spunky, but @Umbra can turn W7 Home into the little engine that could...

Even on W7 Home and Home Premium there's a whole bunch of "stuff" that don't need to be loaded into memory. Kill all that rubbish and system should boot to active desktop within 1 min 30 secs instead of 2 mins or more.

That's not the real pain though. The real pain is when beta tester like @Umbra wants to re-clean install OS and set system up again. The amount of time required is a pain in da ass...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I think CPU will be OK if you hack away at what is installed.

I mean you can get system partition down into the 15 to 16 GB range - maybe even less, tweak virtual memory and use only what is absolutely needed for system start-up.

My W10 test system is essentially W10 LTSB @ 15.5 GB system partition; as you can tell I did major surgery on it...

Anyhow, with Atom CPU there is only so much you can do... disk I\O rate is the biggest factor followed by RAM capacity.

XP is a dog... You are gonna run into the backward compatibility trap.
hi, could you kindly tell us what virtual memory tweaks are? is it just changing the size of pagefile? also why 15-16gb system partition is better than larger values?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
It sure ain't gonna be spunky, but @Umbra can turn W7 Home into the little engine that could...

Even on W7 Home and Home Premium there's a whole bunch of "stuff" that don't need to be loaded into memory. Kill all that rubbish and system should boot to active desktop within 1 min 30 secs instead of 2 mins or more.

That's not the real pain though. The real pain is when beta tester like @Umbra wants to re-clean install OS and set system up again. The amount of time required is a pain in da ass...
Are you talking services or other stuff?

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.