Battle Low-end PC : WinXP or Win7

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ok guys,

My touchscreen mini-laptop here : Asus X102BA review | TechRadar

Cpu : Atom A4 1Ghz ,
RAM: 2Gb (1.44 available)

it is not powerful enough to run Win8/10 smoothly enough; so i have to downgrade it to an older OS.

my requirements:

- Fast performance , i want it to run smoothly, no lags, no hangs.
- Security: the architecture have to give me enough security , however, i can boost it by adding softs to complement it.
- Compatibility: remember , i have a touchscreen (but i can live without it)

so my choices are:

WinXP : obviously the faster choice , but in security , i lose a lot, however i have enough skills to secure it as a fortress.

Win7 Ultimate : seems to be the best choice. but im not sure 1.44 RAM would be enough to handle it.

What do you think?

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
There is a particular XP which is still supported by Microsoft. All it needs is just a registry tweak...
Combine it with Shadow Defender + any image backup program. :p:cool:

Actually, a lot of experts suggest not to use that tweak, since certain updates could be for Windows XP POS-Ready specifically and therefore could breaks standard Windows XP installation.

Niente

Level 2
Verified
Jul 24, 2016
I've installed Windows 7 with only 1 GB RAM at 400 MHz even less.

At the end the trick is always playing with own Windows configuration and Autoruns tool for tweaking startup programs, relevant services...

I always disable disks defrag, index search, aero service... You know all this little things that drains resources, making your PC slower.

I figure you know much more than me. I couldn't show you nothing new. :)

Regards!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.