Battle Low-end PC : WinXP or Win7

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ok guys,

My touchscreen mini-laptop here : Asus X102BA review | TechRadar

Cpu : Atom A4 1Ghz ,
RAM: 2Gb (1.44 available)

it is not powerful enough to run Win8/10 smoothly enough; so i have to downgrade it to an older OS.

my requirements:

- Fast performance , i want it to run smoothly, no lags, no hangs.
- Security: the architecture have to give me enough security , however, i can boost it by adding softs to complement it.
- Compatibility: remember , i have a touchscreen (but i can live without it)

so my choices are:

WinXP : obviously the faster choice , but in security , i lose a lot, however i have enough skills to secure it as a fortress.

Win7 Ultimate : seems to be the best choice. but im not sure 1.44 RAM would be enough to handle it.

What do you think?

H

hjlbx

Thread author
I just picked up a Toshiba Satellite L655 with Pentium and 3 GB RAM.

• 1st project is deep surgery to rid it of the incredible amount of OEM "value package" garbage.
  • 2nd project is even deeper surgery to rid it of everything else that isn't needed.

Once you figure all that out, then you develop system to create it, make image backup, and you are good to go...

Happy trails with a clunker, beater for breaking beta releases and malware testing.

D

Deleted member 178

Thread author
ok there i go:

- wiped the disk, made it MBR so i can install Win7U SP1 x64 (now im 100% sure it is malware free :p )
- installation on the way

to do list:

- update OS
- remove useless Win7 components
- disable useless services
- tweak the OS
- do some Security Tweaks
- Clean the OS
- make it glassy :D
- install Rollback RX
- Play with Applocker

:D

Solarquest

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 22, 2014
I also would install win 7. I have it running on a system with 2gb ram with no issues.
Win xp is not supported anymore by many SW vendors, nor by MSFT.
Good luck.

Reactions: Logethica

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I'm gonna take a shot and VOTE: Windows 7.
I'm currently using 7 on my laptop with Comodo Firewall and 1GB RAM + Ready Boost USB Drive. It's pretty quick, very few laggy moments.

Windows 7 should be just fine. I found out Windows 10 is much more taxing in RAM and CPU. Had to downgrade laptop to 7 again :p What's weird is even adding another RAM 512 + 1GB with windows 10 32bit, it wasn't any faster or smoother, just ate more RAM.

So I'd pick 7 then XP, then Linux... Linux is ok if you don't need windows programs like CCleaner etc. but since its not on the vote list.... bye penguin.

(Update) I read Umbra has selected Windows 7, good pick! :)

Last edited:

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
There is no point in using an XP for sightly more speed. For best experience out of that low power notebook, I recommend going with Windows 7 Home Premium + upgrading to an SSD drive. Upgrading from HDD to SSD drive offers substantial performance upgrade even on a low power hardware.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Cpu : Atom A4 1Ghz ,
RAM: 2Gb (1.44 available)

it is not powerful enough to run Win8/10 smoothly enough; so i have to downgrade it to an older OS.

I can tell you that this laptop will handle Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 smoother than Windows 7. This is why I always install 8.1 or 10 on low-end PC and not Windows 7.

Also, Windows XP is already discarded for being outdated, vulnerable and a huge security hole.

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
You actually may not be able to run XP properly because of driver problem. Its also nearly impossible to install XP on some newer machines as XP is not able to recognise newer hardware components.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.