Low Spec PC (2 GB RAM/ CPU Intel B950) Which antivirus should I install?

maaster

Level 1
Thread author
Aug 5, 2012
Hi All,
I have upgraded RAM to 4 GB which is the max as told by service center but in system it is showing only 2.6 GB usable.

previously out of 2, 1.83 GB was usable but now only 0.8 GB addition. Pls suggest.
system upgrade.PNG

Reactions: harlan4096

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Hi All,
I have upgraded RAM to 4 GB which is the max as told by service center but in system it is showing only 2.6 GB usable.

previously out of 2, 1.83 GB was usable but now only 0.8 GB addition. Pls suggest.View attachment 203753
It's normal. However with more RAM you can add for example Kaspersky Free and Zemana AntiMalware Free and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
But does this mean that my 1.4 GB of 4 GB is unusable? previously I had only 0.2 GB as unusable.
You have to look at the installed memory. Memory can be also reallocated. With more memory installed you have a wider choosing possibility for your AV.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

tonibalas

Level 40
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 26, 2014
If you have Windows Vista installed it's normal, Vista does this thing to RAM.
If you have Windows 7 i don't know why this is happening.

toto

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 15, 2014
I think that you may have dedicated quite some ram to the integrated graphics of the laptop, you can check if you can change that in the bios of the laptop.
I don't know if you are familiar with linux but if you use this laptop only for browsing, I think it would be a good idea to find a nice light Linux distribution and try that out.
As for light AV I have found ESET Nod32 to be very light on older hardware, it has some limitations regarding the protection it offers but if you adjust the settings I think it should offer enough protection.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hi All,
You need to do a clean install of a 64 bit version of Windows 7. On most systems, 32 bit versions of Windows are can only use up to 3.5GB of RAM. As has been mentioned, some of your RAM is being used for video memory.
Maximum RAM For Windows 7 32-bit

Your CPU is a 64 bit one, so it will support 64 bit versions of Windows. Don't worry about changing page file settings. Not only can Windows manage the page file just fine by itself, but changing the settings won't compenstate for the limited amount of RAM.

Alternatively you could install Windows 10. You can activiate it for free with your Windows 7 product key.

stefanos

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 31, 2014
Is it light too with bd- and avira-engine enabled? Are they both just for scanning or for realtime protection too?
not for real time protection. But only with qihoo signatures you will have enough protection. Check all the new malwares at malware hub the qihoo moter. ;) Extra you have the 360 sandbox. On my system never i had bd- and avira-engine enabled for real time protection. And I have never been infected

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Low spec, you should use Cylance after Syshardener was executed. Cylance won't even make it stutter for a second ever again.

Your usable ram seems to indicate your OS is 32-Bit.

Also, you could probably be better served with Linux on that thing. Or better yet, get a refurb that's 10 times more powerful for $149 from Microcenter. ;-)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.