Serious Discussion Malwarebytes 5.0 Open Beta available

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
How is the memory usage on the beta? Version 4.whatever it was used over 245 MB and caused a noticeable slowdown on my laptop. Laptop is back to normal after I removed Malwarebytes.

If it matters, my computer is a basic model Lenovo L340 laptop, running Windows 11 and 22H2. All updates are current and I only use Windows Defender/Security AV by itself. I use FF and Edge about equal amounts of the time with Ublock and the MBAM browser guard extensions in both browsers.

Thanks.

C.H.

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
How is the memory usage on the beta? Version 4.whatever it was used over 245 MB and caused a noticeable slowdown on my laptop. Laptop is back to normal after I removed Malwarebytes.

If it matters, my computer is a basic model Lenovo L340 laptop, running Windows 11 and 22H2. All updates are current and I only use Windows Defender/Security AV by itself. I use FF and Edge about equal amounts of the time with Ublock and the MBAM browser guard extensions in both browsers.

Thanks.

C.H.
for me 110 MB

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Thanks.

I have a lifetime premium MBAM license and will give the beta a try. I don't use or want a VPN so will see how it works out.

C.H.
If your lifetime license has both a ID and key number then you won't be able to activate the beta yet, its something they are supposed to fix but for now only licenses with the new key format can activate it.

eXDj

Level 12
Verified
Aug 2, 2015
If your lifetime license has both a ID and key number then you won't be able to activate the beta yet, its something they are supposed to fix but for now only licenses with the new key format can activate it.
it is possible only if, install latest stable build (ACTIVATE), download latest beta build, install over stable build, vpn work only if you have premium plus key !

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
it is possible only if, install latest stable build (ACTIVATE), download latest beta build, install over stable build, vpn work only if you have premium plus key !
Thanks, I reinstalled version 4 then downloaded the beta, it worked and installed fine but now I have two MBAM processes running in task manager, one says Malwarebytes, the other says Malwarebytes Service. The Malwarebytes process is using 40 MB of RAM, the MB Service is using 124 MB. I don't know what to think of this, maybe I am reading it wrong. I restarted after the initial scan with the beta and it took a pretty good while to get back to the desktop. Then I shut down completely, waited a minute and started up again and it booted much faster. This new version seems to be working very well. Browsing does not seem to be slow at all. I am not sure if the two MBAM processes running in task manager is normal though.

C.H.

1673493557854.png

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Now the MBAM service is at 230 MB and the MBAM app is at 30 MB in task manager. I don't know if that is normal or not. I never saw more than one instance of MBAM in task manager when I used version 4.5.x. The memory use on v. 4.5 was over 240 MB though and it did slow down my laptop. I tried to find out about this on Google, no luck there.

I tried to set up an ID on the MBAM Forum so I could ask about it there, I will just say that did not work out. The tests to prove I am not a robot just keep going around in an endless loop picking out stairs, crosswalks, vehicles, whatever. Then it also wanted me to answer the question "What is the second planet from the sun" several times. The answer is Venus but the site never would accept my answer. I tried 5 times but never made it through the robot tests. I searched the MBAM forum but could not find anyone asking this or a similar question.

I also tried turning off the real time web protection module but that did not change anything, in fact it sent the MBAM exe in task manager up to about twice what it was to begin with. The surface of my keyboard next to the track pad is warmer now than it used to be and the MBAM Service is over 226 MB by itself with only one tab open. I don't think I should be messing around with the beta version. I may try the official version 5 when it is ready but for now I just removed the beta.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I may try this later today, installing the beta over version 4, if I do I'll let you know what I find CH.
Thanks, if there is a way to get it to use less memory i would probably use the beta. That and the task manager thing were the only problems I saw with it. I do wonder if anyone else had the same problem I did with the ram usage. I only have 8 GB to use anyway. Other than that the beta seems OK.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
But it js a great idea to try the beta and share feedback with developers. At least tell them what you want to be changed or improve and leave it to them and hope they listen.
I am going to try both again later tonight, see if MBAM has the same memory use on a second installation and also try again to set up an account on the MBAM forum. I want to satisfy my curiosity plus even if the ram use is high I may just run the beta for the next couple of days, see how it goes and if nothing else I will know I gave it a second chance and a good honest try. I will update here again with any results.

Thanks.

C.H.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.