Battle Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 2.x vs Zemana Anti-Malware 2.x (Premium only)

N

Noxx

This is difficult. I use both as on-demand scanners. I've been using Malwarebytes for years and it's saved my butt on numerous occasions. For that simple fact alone, I'm going with Malwarebytes, but do not shy away from Zemana (in fairness to Zemana, it's a fairly new program). If anything I'd say Zemana AntiMalware feels a bit lighter, but that's really the only fault I can provide. I'll be interested to see what others think.

Last edited by a moderator:

RmG152

Level 12
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
In my System conf:
  • Resource Usage: Both.
  • Real World System Impact: Zemana.
  • User Friendliness: Both.
  • User Interface: Zemana.
  • Level of Protection and Features: Zemana have 0-day (pandora) engine, and Malwarebytes web blocker. IMO Zemana.
  • Overall Winner: Zemana.
Zemana detection rate in real time it's better.
Malwarebytes it's better deleting corpses.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Don't forget: OP is asking about the Premium versions which contain all features.

For more information about Premium:
Voted: Zemana Antimalware Premium, I prefer the simplicity and use of cloud technologies. It runs well alongside Windows Defender, although most people do not need a real-time complimentary scanner (myself included).

Malwarebytes AM Premium is great software, but I do not see it's benefits for running in real-time. I would only consider using it for on-demand scanning, or as a malware removal tool.

Another reason I chose Zemana, is it doesn't have a Web Filter. I do not believe these provide any real benefits apart from blocking "known" malicious sites. If a legitimate (99% safe) site delivers a malicious payload, within minutes of getting hacked, you can rely on the threat being caught by the signatures or cloud-protection.

I am a current user of Zemana Antimalware Premium, and my opinion is non-biased.

Rishi

Level 19
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 3, 2015
Both have their own strengths, MBAM pro has web blocking which is essentially a preventive feature, and then the signatures take over. Zemana multi-engine AM with cloud is better at detections obviously.In case of an infection, it is generally advised to switch off the net and that is where MBAM can come in handy in removal. Other features - Zemana has a portable version, in GUI MBAM gives more granular control( e.g. - boot time delay) while ZAM strives for simplicity. Both have heuristics/advanced feature Shuriken vs Pandora. MBAM incorporates a setting for rootkit detection.

I would vote for both. In the foresight ZAM is great, in hindsight can't do without MBAM and want them to keep developing great products.

Last edited:
Reactions: scot and frogboy
N

Noxx

In my System conf:
  • Resource Usage: Both.
  • Real World System Impact: Zemana.
  • User Friendliness: Both.
  • User Interface: Zemana.
  • Level of Protection and Features: Zemana have 0-day (pandora) engine, and Malwarebytes web blocker. IMO Zemana.
  • Overall Winner: Zemana.
Zemana detection rate in real time it's better.
Malwarebytes it's better deleting corpses.

Interesting observation regarding the Zemana 0-day / MB web blocker comparison. If anything, it's the MB web blocker that's done so much for me. Also, I wasn't aware that Zemana was so concentrated on 0-day. It kind of changes my perspective, a little.

@Huracan -- yeah, I didn't read the "premium". Sorry about that.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

• Resource Usage (eg: CPU, RAM) - ZAM.
  • Real World System Impact - ZAM.
  • User Friendliness - Both.
  • User Interface - MBAM.
  • Level of Protection and Features (eg: Antivirus , Firewall, Behavior Blocker) - ZAM.
  • Overall Winner - Both are good.

Reactions: Andrew999 and Noxx

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I cannot comment much on ZAM Premium as I have yet to use it extensively. I have used MBAM premium in the past and despite its web blocking, it was a bit busier than I would have liked whilst running in RT.

For removal, MBAM has been known for it, however ZAM has come a long way.

In any case, I am a believer you do not need so many RT solutions running, so OD is fine for me on both based on the amount of times I had to clean systems with one or another. My only grip with ZAM and the same goes to HMP is its cloud base. Often than not, I am not using the internet when using such solutions, so I do not get the same result as I would if the system was connected.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
MBAM has my vot.
Way less FP the Zemana, Offline Protection (heuristics + behavior) , better removal (MBAM Chameleon), WebProtection + better protection against rootkits and PUPs.

Reactions: Soulbound and Rishi

Andrew999

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
I used to like Malwarebytes but I feel it is not as good as it used to be. Zemana Anti-Malware has more engines,cloud based and is much lighter than Malwarebytes. So I think Zemana Anti-Malware :)

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
Both programs are good I have installed both very well together work does not make any trouble.
Zeman is a little lighter than Mbam but you can scan from time to time, one time, the second time in Bac each case complement each other well.

Reactions: safe1st

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
I have both and I would go with MBAM as Zemana just missed a trojan on my end that has been known since October of 2015. I want to apologize to the OP who was robbed of my deleted post on this... My original reply was even more helpful and insightful than this current reply. I am sorry this reply had to be watered down.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I have both and I would go with MBAM as Zemana just missed a trojan on my end that has been known since October of 2015. I want to apologize to the OP who was robbed of my deleted post on this... My original reply was even more helpful and insightful than this current reply. I am sorry this reply had to be watered down.
The reply was deleted because its not the appropriate section. You can use the appropriate sub forum for zemana to raise the issue and tag op if you want. Thank you for understanding and for listing the reason why you chose one option from original poll

Blackhawk

Level 3
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
The reply was deleted because its not the appropriate section. You can use the appropriate sub forum for zemana to raise the issue and tag op if you want. Thank you for understanding and for listing the reason why you chose one option from original poll

I appreciate your reply, I truly do, but I respectfully disagree. I felt it was very relevant. I say this because Zemana uses Avira as one of it's components. To that I merely said Avira by itself detected the trojan yet Zemana with Avira did not. I am sorry, but I don't see that as not being appropriate, if anything it brought up an interesting point IMO. A point that could help the OP make a decision.

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
I choose ZAM because it has more engines and i am always connected to the web so accessing the cloud is not a problem for me. Plus i also have a lifetime licence so that help my vote a bit. ;)

Reactions: Rishi

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I appreciate your reply, I truly do, but I respectfully disagree. I felt it was very relevant. I say this because Zemana uses Avira as one of it's components. To that I merely said Avira by itself detected the trojan yet Zemana with Avira did not. I am sorry, but I don't see that as not being appropriate, if anything it brought up an interesting point IMO. A point that could help the OP make a decision.
sorry but in regards to signatures and detection for a specific file, this is not the section. I have recreated your post and tagged relevant users. please provide info/continue discussion on Zemana possible miss on infection

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
for those who voted for MBAM or Zemana, how are in your opinion the removal process for the solutions you voted? any pros/cons?

Reactions: Razor555

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.