malwarebytes not finding malware, issues with running scan and bluescreen

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Fiery said:
It said the repairs failed?

How's the webcam now?

while it was scanning i keot seeing the word "FAILED" is there a log to post to you on here?? i just checked webcam it said no video device detected

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
I'm running out of ideas here :s I don't know why your webcam isn't showing up.. None of the tools we used removed the webcam drivers. My only suggestion is to either do another restore to a further date when your webcam was working or post a thread here: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Display-and-Video-e-g-Windows-8/bd-p/Display

You can alternatively backup all your files and photos and restore your laptop back to factory default setting.

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
did u see the 2 drivers i listed when u asked? could they be competing against each other? i was also thinkin, maybe the firewall was blocking the fixes.. i know i post multiple responses to u, maybe u missed a cpl of them.. i know i can get the cam to work one minute then it will say no video device the next time i try, and it didnt do that until we dl'ed that combofix that was bad..and theother one i think it was cclaner or TDSSKiller-- could the bad dl have corrupted anything? and the ones that removed files.. could they have removed drivers i needed.. some of the drivers i had wasnt on my disc that came w the pc.. they were dl'ed by me after i got the pc bc some progs needed addt'l drivers to work correctly

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
see i just did some tweaking and the webcam just came on.. but then i looked at the screen and it said connection was lost.. i tried again and its there....but for how long? the cam isnt bad... its rarely even used... i think something is clashing

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Gbaby614 said:
did u see the 2 drivers i listed when u asked? could they be competing against each other? i was also thinkin, maybe the firewall was blocking the fixes.. i know i post multiple responses to u, maybe u missed a cpl of them.. i know i can get the cam to work one minute then it will say no video device the next time i try, and it didnt do that until we dl'ed that combofix that was bad..and theother one i think it was cclaner or TDSSKiller-- could the bad dl have corrupted anything? and the ones that removed files.. could they have removed drivers i needed.. some of the drivers i had wasnt on my disc that came w the pc.. they were dl'ed by me after i got the pc bc some progs needed addt'l drivers to work correctly

I went back and looked at the logs, neither combofix or tdss killer removed any drivers. (Assuming you didn't delete anything with TDSSkiller) since the log showed you skipped the detections.

What "tweaking" are you doing? Does the webcam work if you disable all the Webroot protection?

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
no i just keep trying to load it, im not really messing w anything.. i have noticed a lag of some sort, that u will see in most of my replies since the combofix as well and it connects two words that i dont intend to connect such as EX: i wentt o the page... see how went to connects??
it keeps doing that and if i click on something it gets stuck... as if my keys are sticking er something.. as if the system is lagging, and it makes no sense... almost as if someone is on my system but if i check connections i dont see anyone on my network and i have security on my router. what could be wrong? how do i see if that thing we did last night reported anything, u sisnt say if there was a log available for it.. and should i retry it w security and firewall off this time...

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
please review that and i will check back tomorrow, i may need help w settings to make sure they dont succeed w that.. and maybe that LAG is what i am noticing... i have posted a lot of info on here that is useful to knowledgable techs.. maybe that is part of my issues currently... and if i fix that, maybe other issues will subside. will check back tomorrow

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
i have a cpl screenshots of the router if u would like to see them.. just leme know and i will send them in pm

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Gbaby614 said:
i have a cpl screenshots of the router if u would like to see them.. just leme know and i will send them in pm

I don't think the screenshots are necessary. Check your PM :) Also,

Please download MiniToolBox save it to your desktop and run it.

Place a check in the following boxes:
  • Flush DNS
    Report IE Proxy Settings
    Reset IE Proxy Settings
    Report FF Proxy Settings
    Reset FF Proxy Settings
    List content of Hosts
    List IP configuration
    List Winsock Entries
    List last 10 Event Viewer log
    List Installed Programs
    List Devices
    List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
    List Minidump Files

Close your browsers and click Go. Post the Result.txt located in the same directory as the tool.

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
Sorry it took so long to get back... my pc is back to shutting down during scans.. it shut down last night.. Im going to go ahead and run and scan and when it is done, post if it completed this time or not.. I still can't get the webcam to work everytime.. just sometimes.. Hope to get this all figured out soon! I may need to check for malware w one of your programs again when u have time to help me again.

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
sorry it has taken so long to get back, but health issues have prevented me from being able to respond sooner.. unfortunately my son used my pc while i was ill, to pass time and he clicked on one of those fake alert type warnings that told him to scan the pc.. i have done my best to rid what i can, but it wont even allow my virus protection to load to windows security, although it says it is working fine. I know this isnt true bc I was able to use SuperAntiSpyware free edition to remove a trojan dropper earlier today, and my Webroot said there was nothing there beforehand. Icannot get Malwarebytes to even download on my pc, it keeps telling me there is a runtime error 440?? over n over, and when i reboot my pc i get the message " an error has occurred, the .Net Framework Data Providers require Microsoft Data Access Components(MDAC) vers 2.6 or later.. I keep trying to update winows but it keeps saying it cant check for updates and requires reboot, which as soon as it is done, it repeats the same request. I also keep getting warnings of Microsoft C++ runtime errors.. and as for the webcam.. we can just put it to the side until I know all malware is gone.. Please help get me atleast back to where we were before.. I did dl Adwcleaner before posting this and the log is as follows:

Hope to be able to get on here in the AM so we can get this fixed.. let's pray it doesn't rain and I may be able to get around and to the pc. :s

Attachments

• AdwCleaner[S5].txt
    3.1 KB · Views: 127

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Welcome back, hope you are fine and healthy now!

Since it has been 2 months, I'd like to see what state your PC is in.

Download OTL by Old Timer from here and save it to your Desktop.
  • Double click on OTL.exe to run it.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Check the boxes beside LOP Check and Purity Check
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Please attach the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I will be here on and offf, but i forgot to mention that the pc has bluescreened a few times and there are minidump logs, I will pull them up on request...

I have OTL I just forgot how to use it so I left it be.. be back with results..

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
I keepp getting the same message.. OTL has stopped working and closes... I tried to dl the copy on here and got the same message.. I also noticed that I cannot add/remove any programs and It will say it has already been removed yet the list still shows the programs.. the only prog I have been able to use, was the SuperAntispyware, and it was the one that found the trojan dropper yesterday. I think trying to remove some of the progs he accidentally dl'ed has locked the system up somewhere so it can hide. I know you can get me through this tho, u did an awesome job last time, so don't worry, I have faith in you :eek:}

Fiery

Level 1
Jan 11, 2011
Hmm, ok let's use FRST again.

Download Farbar Recovery Scan Tool from the below link:
<ul><li>For 64 bit systems download <a title="External link" href="http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/farbar/FRST64.exe" rel="nofollow external"><>Farbar Recovery Scan Tool x64</></a> and save it to a USB/flash drive.</li>

<li>Plug the flashdrive into the infected PC.</li>

<li>Enter <>System Recovery Options</>.</li>

<>To enter System Recovery Options from the Advanced Boot Options:</>
<ul>
<li>Restart the computer.</li>
<li>As soon as the BIOS is loaded begin tapping the<> F8</> key until Advanced Boot Options appears.</li>
<li>Use the arrow keys to select the <>Repair your computer</> menu item.</li>
<li>Select <>US</> as the keyboard language settings, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
<li>Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click <>Next</>.</li>
<li>Select your user account an click <>Next</>.</li>
</ul>

<li>On the System Recovery Options menu you will get the following options:</span>
<pre>Startup Repair
System Restore
Windows Complete PC Restore
Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool
Command Prompt</pre>
<ol>
<li>Select <>Command Prompt</></li>
<li>In the command window type in <>notepad</> and press <>Enter</>.</li>
<li>The notepad opens. Under File menu select <>Open</>.</li>
<li>Select "Computer" and find your flash drive letter and close the notepad.</li>
<li>In the command window type <><span style="color: #ff0000;">e</span>:\frst64</> and press <>Enter</>
<>Note:</><span style="color: #ff0000;"> Replace letter <>e</> with the drive letter of your flash drive.</span></li>
<li>The tool will start to run.</li>
<li>When the tool opens click <>Yes</> to disclaimer.</li>
<li>Press <>Scan</> button.</li>
<li><>FRST</> will let you know when the scan is complete and has written the <>FRST.txt</> to file, close the message.
<li>Type exit</li>
<li>Please copy and paste FRST.txt in your next reply</li></li>
</ol>
</ul>

Last edited by a moderator:

Gbaby614

Thread author
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
really quick if ur still there, i found the old flashdrive that had the previous frst64 app on it.. it should still be safe to use instead of hunting for another flashdrive right? if not, i will have to wait til i can get to a store to purchase another one, as i have a lot of stuff in storage since the surgery.. my only other question is there is a (frst)log on there, should i leave it be and the new one will rename itself to ie:log(2) or should i delete it? Im ready to do this if u have the time... so Im free from now til whenever if u have some free time to get this going now. thanks again..

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.