App Review Malwarebytes vs 2000 Malware (TPSC)

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Content created by
The PC Security Channel

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Malwarebytes passed its test, but Leo only tested .EXE malware.
Most new attacks generally come from exploiting vulnerabilities (DOC, XLS, JAR, JS, PDF, HTA etc)
I think it's a shame that Leo doesn't include this in his tests as I do... perhaps the test would have given another dimension...

Stargazer_Steve

Level 1
Dec 2, 2022
Correct me if I am wrong, but aren’t these types of video tests merely for Entertainment?
I always wondered this too and assumed they were mostly for entertainment purposes, but my knowledge is very limited! To me the tests never seem user realistic/real-world scenario based. It's not often my family, friends or I download exe files anymore, and if we do it's from very specific mainstream sources. I feel we are more susceptible to phishing attacks or web-based infections from browsing/emails. Or in my personal case, as Shadowra said from other file extensions, such as mods for games, windows customisation files etc.

Digmor Crusher

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 27, 2018
Mostly for entertainment. If a program scores first in 10 different tests you can probably assume its provides good protection, if it scores last in 10 tests then you can assume the opposite. Just one more type of knowledge to base you pick of an AV on.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Malwarebytes passed its test, but Leo only tested .EXE malware.
Default MS Defender would have passed with flying colors.
Most new attacks generally come from exploiting vulnerabilities (DOC, XLS, JAR, JS, PDF, HTA etc)
I think it's a shame that Leo doesn't include this in his tests as I do... perhaps the test would have given another dimension...
Ya' think? :LOL:
@Shadowra do you think it's about time for another MBAM test?

Last edited:

nickstar1

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Dec 10, 2022
cant wait to see mbam getting destroyed :rolleyes:
it actually has done well in the last few tests by shadowra and a few others threatdown was recently tested which is basically the same application and did very well. Also Malwarebytes has it's AL detections on by default now. Back in like 2020-2021 Malwarebytes didn't have the best protection but they have greatly improved over the last 2 years. Browser guard has detected phishing websites not even Kaspersky or Avast have detected.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
it actually has done well in the last few tests by shadowra and a few others threatdown was recently tested which is basically the same application and did very well. Also Malwarebytes has it's AL detections on by default now. Back in like 2020-2021 Malwarebytes didn't have the best protection but they have greatly improved over the last 2 years. Browser guard has detected phishing websites not even Kaspersky or Avast have detected.
But your heart is now with AVG IS. ;)

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
You should wait until version 5 comes out, I think its very close. Or just use the beta. ;)
I don't think it will be too much longer before we see Version 5. I got an email from MBAM today about it
1704133073704.png

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I am not so sure I will use Version 5. I tried the Beta last year and it slowed my laptop down. Maybe that was a problem with the Beta that will have been sorted out before the regular V.5 release. I have been using the old Version 4.6 xx with my old lifetime license for about 2 months now, together with Windows Defender. V. 4.6 works fine with no slowdowns at all.

Whether I stay on Windows at all this year will depend on how aggressive MS gets about AI/Bing/Chat and trying to force me to use their unwanted and unnecessary bloatware. I don't use Edge and I turned off Co-Pilot in the registry but who knows what Windows 12 or the next milestone update will do to regular Windows 11.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Everyone's mileage will vary but I've been using v5 for awhile now and do not notice any slowdowns.
And I'll stick with Windows to the bitter end.💀
I want to stick with Windows too. I just hope I can keep my laptop set the way I have it now and not have to mess around with AI. I am dead set against AI and do not want anything to do with it or Chat GPT or Bing or Bard or any of that garbage. I will resist it as long as possible. And it really gets old playing Whack A Mole with unwanted and useless MS apps and features.

C.H.

AdvancedSetup

From Malwarebytes
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Nov 14, 2019
I hear you on the Windows pushing too much advertising within the actual OS as well as truly untested AI into the product as well. Plus all the ever increasing monitoring and intrusions year after year.

I switched my main laptop over to Nobara Linux (Fedora 38 core and recently updated to 39) and it's worked well for a couple of months. I decided to switch my main desktop over as well for the new year. I spent a few days but multiple installs, fixes, etc. and it was still unstable on my hardware. I tried Proxmox as well (that was even worse and hung the system immediately on attempt of install even in debugging. Long story short I don't have enough time to work on fixing Linux to work on my setup so I went back to Windows and will use other methods to curtail Microsoft from as much intrusions. I'm sure that Linux will catch up before long and fully support my hardware and perhaps next year I'll switch it over.

Don't have the exact date, but MB5 should be out soon

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I hear you on the Windows pushing too much advertising within the actual OS as well as truly untested AI into the product as well. Plus all the ever increasing monitoring and intrusions year after year.

I switched my main laptop over to Nobara Linux (Fedora 38 core and recently updated to 39) and it's worked well for a couple of months. I decided to switch my main desktop over as well for the new year. I spent a few days but multiple installs, fixes, etc. and it was still unstable on my hardware. I tried Proxmox as well (that was even worse and hung the system immediately
sidenote... try Zorin 16 Linux, 17 coming out this month. I've had no issues with Zorin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.