Merging Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Emsisoft IS will be merged with Emsisoft AM: Do you like the Emsisoft direction?

• Yes

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I don't mind , Emsisoft surely knows what is better.

Votes: 45 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
When will the beta be out considering there is not even a month until the release happens. This might help me ditch my windows firewall control program. :)
You may still want to use your Windows Firewall Control program for other features. Ours just makes it more resilient, but doesn't add the convenience features that a lot of the other frontends offer. The feature will be included in the next regular beta that usually is released in the last 1-2 weeks of each month.

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You may still want to use your Windows Firewall Control program for other features. Ours just makes it more resilient, but doesn't add the convenience features that a lot of the other frontends offer. The feature will be included in the next regular beta that usually is released in the last 1-2 weeks of each month.
I see. Thanks.

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Nothing will happen. If anything was going to happen, we wouldn't have decided to merge the two products.

Hi, Fabian

Good news!!! By the way you have made some changes in emsisoft referral program. I mean by invitng a friend and 30 days will be added to the subscription. As I understand only purchased keys on your official site are involved in it now?

Last edited:

NikolayfromRussia

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Jul 3, 2014
Yes, the referral program has been abused by a tonne of individuals to create licenses and sell them on the black market. So we decided to put a stop to it.

I fully agree with you. It was a good decision that you have made such changes. I know many users that created licenses for selling.

Last edited:

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
What is that "other features there"

I do not have Windows Firewall Control here...
Easier to make advanced rules, database of what is blocked and allowed with easy access and most important a proper gui for windows firewall. Just google windows firewall control, tinywall etc.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
We believe that whatever protective advantages desktop firewalls once had over Windows Firewall are now minimal, if not negligible.
@Fabian Wosar Doesn't this translate to the fact that sophisticated s/w Firewalls can offer some more protection (at higher levels of stack?) than what the home NAT routers basically do? I'm not talking about stuff like HIPS that were added to make FWs more interesting after hitting a saturation level.
I would like to know about the users connecting to the Internet through their laptops/desktops via mobile hotspot instead? WinFW? Uh, lets say it's fine for me to configure it all. Fine for everyone?

Connection attempts from the outside in are blocked by the Windows Firewall by default, and connections from the inside out are prevented by Emsisoft’s multi-layer real time protection, and the Behavior Blocker in particular.
The BB always has blocked suspicious outgoing connections. Even before the firewall was in the picture. That isn't going to change.
If I am not wrong, the parameters (local and remote) considered for blocking suspicious connections via the BB and the FW won't be the same set. If so, that makes a difference and a potential compromise for some users depending on their external stimuli and the effectiveness of the BB except when rogue digitally signed (valid) apps are automatically trusted. Correct me if I'm wrong.

While some of our more technically minded users might have appreciated the freedom to tweak settings to their heart’s content, it has to be said the majority of our customers are (understandably!) not familiar with the technical intricacies of firewalls and were not always confident when using the software.
I wonder how many non-techies play with the advanced settings like the Firewall advanced settings when they've no idea about what it is. If an amateur or an experienced user is experimenting, they have clear notations and online guides. Will they select "allow" for all apps just for the sake of trying? Not many? Probably a few? Well losses due to such configuring can be possible with just any such apps. With other AVs, with WinFW .. so should that module just be removed for all customers? Your call.

You may still want to use your Windows Firewall Control program for other features. Ours just makes it more resilient, but doesn't add the convenience features that a lot of the other frontends offer.
For the apparently few customers looking for a complete suite with ease of configuration, dropping FW is a tradeoff for sure. A small percentage of a big number of users is still a considerable number to not care (not in literal sense) about their needs. I'm not sure if every Emsisoft customer knows what the Windows FW lacks that Emsisoft FW offered and how to simply configure advanced settings w/ or w/o alerts for granular control.
I'm not saying that we cannot achieve a great protection with WinFW. But there have been differences.

In the end, it's Emsi's business and looking at redundancies and potential opportunities are your own decisions at Emsisoft and I acknowledge that. Next, simply put: there's no complete suite offering now but a strong AM.
The few options (like enabling/disabling auto trusting of valid digitally signed files, notify when new programs are auto-trusted..) were made for the advanced users with a caution needed and a few AVs do provide the former option right now with least issues found during usage.
b341k.jpg
However looking at how such options were totally ditched because of some user confusions, instead of trying to fine-tune/recalibrate various thresholds of detection or how the decisions were taken in case of diff kinds/reputations of non-auto-trusted digitally signed files (in whichever way it can be practical, through say understanding based trial-error..) that might have helped improvise it and tackle instabilities as I read on the Support forum. I do not feel certain about what offerings will be retained in Emsi subscriptions ahead.

gery79

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2011
they could have sold the firewall and let someone else develop it . I am no expert but the idea of running IS when it was only Antimalware and firewall was a bad idea from the start.

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
they could have sold the firewall and let someone else develop it.
Nobody in their right mind would buy a firewall codebase to develop further these days.

I would like to know about the users connecting to the Internet through their laptops/desktops via mobile hotspot instead? WinFW? Uh, lets say it's fine for me to configure it all. Fine for everyone?
The EIS and Windows Firewall default settings are pretty much identical: Block incoming by default, allow outgoing by default. So for the majority, nothing will change. I am sure there are some people who really want to fine tune their firewall rules. But to be honest, I wonder why those people were using EIS to begin with given that the Windows Firewall always allowed for a much more fine grained control over network traffic. It may require a few more clicks, but if you really are after control, the Windows Firewall always was superior.

If I am not wrong, the parameters (local and remote) considered for blocking suspicious connections via the BB and the FW won't be the same set.
Correct, the BB connection filter is actually a lot more aggressive than your firewall configuration is, considering everything except localhost as potentially dangerous.

I wonder how many non-techies play with the advanced settings like the Firewall advanced settings when they've no idea about what it is.
Probably about just as much as play with the EIS settings: Next to no-one.

Last edited by a moderator:

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
The EIS and Windows Firewall default settings are pretty much identical: Block incoming by default, allow outgoing by default. So for the majority, nothing will change. I am sure there are some people who really want to fine tune their firewall rules. But to be honest, I wonder why those people were using EIS to begin with given that the Windows Firewall always allowed for a much more fine grained control over network traffic. It may require a few more clicks, but if you really are after control, the Windows Firewall always was superior.

Correct, the BB connection filter is actually a lot more aggressive than your firewall configuration is, considering everything except localhost as potentially dangerous.

Probably about just as much as play with the EIS settings: Next to no-one.
Is there would be special promotion after the product merge? I would like to purchase license again, because Emsisoft keeps as the best for me.

Dumb F-Secure removed manual detection decision, wasted 3 months of active license... Had to stick to Kaspersky for a while.

What about merge... I don't think it's a good idea. Because, I just don't trust to Microsoft firewall, and I am afraid that HIPS would be affected with after this.

BTW: What about free antivirus?

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
If a certain user has a 3rd party firewall installed along Emsisoft Anti-Malware will he need to disable the "extra security" of EAM on the WF ot avoid any kind of injection to the 3rd party firewall or does this feature bring no incompatibility/do not activate if WF is disabled?

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I do not like the decision ... But I can be wrong, ... I like Firewall, maybe I'm a little old, but I do not trust the Windows Firewall...

Thread author
I do not like the decision ... But I can be wrong, ... I like Firewall, maybe I'm a little old, but I do not trust the Windows Firewall...

If you knew Christian, Fabian and the entire Emsisoft crew then you would realize that they would never implement a product change that would jeopardize their users' security.

Less can be more, but it is just that the more isn't obvious and the less is counter-intuitive.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.