Merging Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Emsisoft IS will be merged with Emsisoft AM: Do you like the Emsisoft direction?

• Yes

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I don't mind , Emsisoft surely knows what is better.

Votes: 45 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I am not that old (I wish) but I too do not like the decision but hey, it's already final so what's the use now, right. Plain Windows Firewall alone..I do not like/trust..(like most of the OS part also but hey, we still use the Windows OS! We have a lot of issues with Win 10 Telemetry and all, but hey, we use it still ;)...) that's why I use 3rd party tools to augment it. Even they(Emsisoft) says we could use Binisoft's WFC for that augmentation in addition to the new EAM. Emsisoft just really do not want to delve anymore with firewalls.

Reactions: ravi prakash saini

Thread author
I am not that old (I wish) but I too do not like the decision but hey, it's already final so what's the use now, right. Plain Windows Firewall alone..I do not like/trust..(like most of the OS part also but hey, we still use the Windows OS! We have a lot of issues with Win 10 Telemetry and all, but hey, we use it still ;)...) that's why I use 3rd party tools to augment it. Even they(Emsisoft) says we could use Binisoft's WFC for that augmentation in addition to the new EAM. Emsisoft just really do not want to delve anymore with firewalls.

The EAM BB already monitors for suspicious firewall\port activity. For the typical user a plain firewall alert is meaningless, but a BB alert is clear enough - suspicious activity has been detected and blocked. Now with the autoresolve feature the user doesn't have to respond. If it turns out to be a false positive, no harm, no foul, nothing is broken permanently.

Lots of people just see a BB alert, but do not understand that in some of the BB alerts the behaviors that are detected\reported\autoresolved are specifically suspicious firewall\port activity.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Lots of people just see a BB alert, but do not understand that in some of the BB alerts the behaviors that are detected\reported\autoresolved are specifically suspicious firewall\port activity.
Hi Lockdown :)

Yeah agree on that. But Emsisoft alerts does not explain that. Actually there aren't any logs that we can see and more additional info on the alerts for the average user. That is why sometimes the Emsisoft alerts for me is "lacking" when I need to research on a particular alert. They removed that from their product in their goal to make the decision for the user. I seem to remember that point asked in the Emsisoft forums I think that was 2015 (I may be wrong) but the gist is that an explanation or rather, more information on their alerts are not tailored for the average user thus "most" just disregard an alert. There are always alerts that leave me wondering what triggered it or what was being triggered by something or what? That is the purpose of "logs".

I like to research on alerts myself but sometimes the alerts given by Emsisoft aren't that informative so you can actually look further into it. In comparison to AppGuard the alerts are different. It identifies the culprit and what it intends to do when it blocks something. But then again, it is in the company that tailors their own alert for their own purpose. It's just that some security alerts/pop-ups (not Emsisoft only) alerts borders on less information to the downright-cryptic.

That's on me there. I dunno about the other users observations on alerts.

EDIT:

I searched it and yes this is it, well I think it is :)

dFdikYm.png

Link

Anyway I've learned to compensate from that issue just as the problem of the "Block this...impossible to run-but it executed anyway" (which was fixed now..took a long time too).

Cheers ;)

Last edited:

Thread author
Hi Lockdown :)

Yeah agree on that. But Emsisoft alerts does not explain that. Actually there aren't any logs that we can see and more additional info on the alerts for the average user. That is why sometimes the Emsisoft alerts for me is "lacking" when I need to research on a particular alert. They removed that from their product in their goal to make the decision for the user. I seem to remember that point asked in the Emsisoft forums I think that was 2015 (I may be wrong) but the gist is that an explanation or rather, more information on their alerts are not tailored for the average user thus "most" just disregard an alert. There are always alerts that leave me wondering what triggered it or what was being triggered by something or what? That is the purpose of "logs".

I like to research on alerts myself but sometimes the alerts given by Emsisoft aren't that informative so you can actually look further into it. In comparison to AppGuard the alerts are different. It identifies the culprit and what it intends to do when it blocks something. But then again, it is in the company that tailors their own alert for their own purpose. It's just that some security alerts/pop-ups (not Emsisoft only) alerts borders on less information to the downright-cryptic.

That's on me there. I dunno about the other users observations of their alerts.

I personally agree that there is not much information fed back to the user. I'm a "logaholic" and, to me, a certain minimum level of information is helpful. But you have to understand that Emsisoft's target market is probably the middle aged demographic that generally has no understanding of the infos in logs. So Emsisoft does not provide it.

Emsisoft's argument will be that there are already good logging solutions available. And yes, that is true, but I understand that there are users who want it packaged with EAM.

80 % of their users don't give a damn, all they want is for their system to be protected. So requests made by the minority that want some additional features are not implemented.

It would be more helpful to users, I think, if at least a brief description of what the suspicious behavior being detected and alerted to was given.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
I personally agree that there is not much information fed back to the user. I'm a "logaholic" and, to me, a certain minimum level of information is helpful. But you have to understand that Emsisoft's target market is probably the middle aged demographic that generally has no understanding of the infos in logs. So Emsisoft does not provide it.

Emsisoft's argument will be that there are already good logging solutions available. And yes, that is true, but I understand that there are users who want it packaged with EAM.

80 % of their users don't give a damn, all they want is for their system to be protected. So requests made by the minority that want some additional features are not implemented.

It would be more helpful to users, I think, if at least a brief description of what the suspicious behavior being detected and alerted to was given.
]
Hey :) You reply fast ;) I like that ;) AGREE with your points there.

An example of AppGuard alert below, (telling you the culprit and what it is doing)

08/17/17 20:45:45 Prevented process <pid: 6188> from writing to <c:\windows\performance\winsat\winsat.log>.

Link

That's why I never go about without AppGuard :)

Last edited:

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
But you have to understand that Emsisoft's target market is probably the middle aged demographic that generally has no understanding of the infos in logs. So Emsisoft does not provide it.

That was also my understanding of their target market. I remember one of their staff (as we conversed via email when I was seeking sponsorship) that they(Emsisoft) have not reached most people because honestly some do not know what Emsisoft is. And he mentioned that "people really need to know more about Emsisoft" when compared to the popularity of Kaspersky/Norton and Avast. Honestly, it's only "us-people" in the security forums that know about them not the average users. Hell, even at the office, when I advocated "Emsisoft" as better alternative to Norton, my staff said, "Emsisoft who?" Had to teach them how it worked and set it up until they liked it (--now they removed the firewall those "average" are now moving back to Norton and the sales agent here is literally "happy").

Thread author
That was also my understanding of their target market. I remember one of their staff (as we conversed via email when I was seeking sponsorship) that they(Emsisoft) have not reached most people because honestly some do not know what Emsisoft is. And he mentioned that "people really need to know more about Emsisoft" when compared to the popularity of Kaspersky/Norton and Avast. Honestly, it's only "us-people" in the security forums that know about them not the average users. Hell, even at the office, when I advocated "Emsisoft" as better alternative to Norton, my staff said, "Emsisoft who?" Had to teach them how it worked and set it up until they liked it (--not they removed the firewall those "average" are now moving back to Norton and the sales agent here is literally "happy").

Emsisoft is popular in some countries - like Poland. I can tell you that Emsisoft is far more popular than home-grown SpyShelter.

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Honestly, it's only "us-people" in the security forums that know about them not the average users.
So true! Heck, even I hadn't heard about Emsisoft until a few years ago. And then I thought it was some cheap and crappy solution like all the other no-name/ACME proggies out there. I have yet to meet somebody in Germany who simply nods when I talk about Emsisoft.

now they removed the firewall those "average" are now moving back to Norton and the sales agent here is literally "happy").
Well they could just add a separate firewall but I guess they want a single solution.

You know, I think it wasn't a wise decision really. Yes, that firewall isn't really needed. Folks are usually behind a NAT router anyways. We know that and so does Emsisoft. But the end user usually doesn't. They've heard that a firewall adds security, so they want it. End of story. So they'll purchase a suite that provides it. I would've left it in there just to prevent that from happening. If that makes them buy the product, more power to it.

jasonX

Level 9
Apr 13, 2012
Well they could just add a separate firewall but I guess they want a single solution.
Well for my staff/officemates who I was successful enough to have introduced Emsisoft they really prefer a packaged-suite. We were all Norton here. The agent made a killing here for years :) Tinkering with the firewall rules are really for most of them 'hard" so they prefer something in the likes of an install/leave app. Norton isn't one (that's my opinion only) but the agent here is patient enough to assist us (even before when i did not know Emsisoft). Cheers!

Fritz

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 28, 2015
Oh I don't personally care about the removal either, but I'm afraid we don't count. Emsisoft will be better off the more customers they have and without the firewall they'll have less, that's all.

Reactions: mlnevese

Malakke

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 29, 2013
Public thanks to Emsisoft support for their great assistance about my EIS licenses, as usual (old and loyal customer here). Move of merging products makes sense.

Reactions: frogboy and Fritz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.