Merging Emsisoft Internet Security with Emsisoft Anti-Malware

Emsisoft IS will be merged with Emsisoft AM: Do you like the Emsisoft direction?

• Yes

Votes: 65 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I don't mind , Emsisoft surely knows what is better.

Votes: 45 32.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
I know that the Emsisoft team is excellent and I have used both Emsisoft antimalware and internet security. Years ago I used Squared Ikarius engine, but I think I'm getting old,

Reactions: frogboy

Huchim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 17, 2015
When the wannacry ransomware infection, the statement from Emsisoft was that the firewall component helped blocking the port neccesary for the infection (I suppose that by default is not blocked by windows firewall) so, without the firewall the enforcement to windows firewall is about this?

Reactions: RoboMan

Thread author
I know that the Emsisoft team is excellent and I have used both Emsisoft antimalware and internet security. Years ago I used Squared Ikarius engine, but I think I'm getting old,

Well I'm over the hill old and decrepit too, and as I get older the more simple things are the better they work. I haven't reached the point where I need to use one of those "really simple" phones with only dial buttons, each the size of a Post-It, but I'll get there someday.

A user can add Windows Firewall Control as a frontend GUI. It provides more useful features than any that I have seen with other complete firewalls.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hi i really are happy whith this desicion because i have a long long licence of emsisoft. I always like more antimalware than EIS, for me is very expensive and the firewall very "discrect", no alerts, no nothing, for me that Firewall was a bad try. I ask emsi support to changue my licence from EIS to EAM and viceversa from EAM to EIS because the desicion is very dificult to me. Some day i think "Emsi firewall maybe are great and i dont see it" and another times i think "this does not exists and does not do nothing" Include i have a desesperation when i try to install EIS on windows 7 and i dont have the KBXXXXXX update because microsoft servers down. MS haves long time whith their FW maybe they are doing something good. I have 4 years licence i will have 6 years licence of emsi. For me great.

Maybe i dont emphatise whith they because in their feedback they say "emsi is perfect let it", if you sugets something they always say it not have point. For me are "tajantes" and less conversative, serious in MS support or in norton support people are more "charming" "calidos" but thats not really needed in a software. I think they do well everything they do. And are happy whith this desision

Reactions: frogboy

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
When the wannacry ransomware infection, the statement from Emsisoft was that the firewall component helped blocking the port neccesary for the infection (I suppose that by default is not blocked by windows firewall) so, without the firewall the enforcement to windows firewall is about this?
The Windows firewall does block access to the SMB ports from public networks like the internet, just as the EIS firewall did.

I do not like the decision ... But I can be wrong, ... I like Firewall, maybe I'm a little old, but I do not trust the Windows Firewall...
But you do trust the rest of their OS? Those are some seriously selective trust issues you have there. ;)

If a certain user has a 3rd party firewall installed along Emsisoft Anti-Malware will he need to disable the "extra security" of EAM on the WF ot avoid any kind of injection to the 3rd party firewall or does this feature bring no incompatibility/do not activate if WF is disabled?
You may see EAM telling you, that that other firewall wants to disable the Windows firewall, but a simple click on allow will be enough to allow your other firewall to do whatever it needs doing.

Is there would be special promotion after the product merge?
I doubt it. But I am not working in sales or marketing, so I am not 100% uptodate on planned promotions. I am sure @Emsisoft can tell you if there are.

What about merge... I don't think it's a good idea. Because, I just don't trust to Microsoft firewall, and I am afraid that HIPS would be affected with after this.
It's not. The behaviour blocking has always used its own implementation of intercepting outgoing and incoming connections that was independent of the firewall and actually predates the firewall by many years. That is not going to change.

BTW: What about free antivirus?
EEK is free. If you are asking for free real-time antivirus: There are plenty of those already. Pick whichever you like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fabian Wosar

From Emsisoft
Verified
Developer
Well-known
Jun 29, 2014
Yes, but they are not Emsisoft... ;)
More like: "I do see that you guys do good work and I want to reap all the benefits of it, but I am not willing to pay you for it!" The moment you can use good karma to pay your rent, food, and bills, we will switch immediately. But that utopian society doesn't exist yet. So we have to use the thing everyone else uses, which is money.

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
More like: "I do see that you guys do good work and I want to reap all the benefits of it, but I am not willing to pay you for it!" The moment you can use good karma to pay your rent, food, and bills, we will switch immediately. But that utopian society doesn't exist yet. So we have to use the thing everyone else uses, which is money.
I purchased Emsisoft twice in 2014 and 2015... :( And I am going to puchase it again when my salary arrives this month. I just wondered about the plans of the company, and, btw, I always buy software which I like....

I asked this, because guys from Kaspersky cut down lot's of cool stuff, and released Kaspersky Free. And I just wondered if Emsi having plans about releasing free ver in the same way.

I had F-Secure until yesterday, and I won't buy it again, due to their politics. But for Emsisoft I am ready to pay double price, just to have reliable application, but now I have to wait, because I just bought Honda few weeks ago :)

I am sorry that we got misunderstood.

Last edited:

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
Not trying to change the topic, but could you elaborate on what F-Secure politics didn't agree with you?
They removed manual decision when antivirus detects something. Got some stuff automaticaly removed, had to restore from backups...

Reactions: Fritz

iAwake

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
But the question now, will the price still the same? or a higher price. Anyway Emsisoft is a great product and is worth every penny paid for it.

iAwake

Level 1
Verified
Aug 4, 2017
what's it

Emsisoft have decided to merge its two major product EIS and EAM. They will drop EIS in the coming few months. By this decision, I expect EAM's price will be a little higher. Thats it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.