Microphones Mute Themselves on My Device, Issue Persists even after Reinstallation on Both Windows and Linux

greenmask9

Thread author
Jul 25, 2018
Hello,

a month back I encountered my microphone is muting itself after a few hours of using. I tried a fix, which made it stop working completely. Full story: Microphone Not Working After Attempt to Fix Auto Muting

Apart from that, I tried reinstall both Linux and Windows - different versions. I also ran this fix Fix: Microphone keeps muting itself - Appuals.com to no avail. Actually, it made microphone work for like 2 minutes.

Sometimes, it works when booting (I set to hear this device on microphone). Also, I am pretty sure it is not device specific - the internal microphone doesn't work. Neither does headset microphone I bought two days ago and was able to test it on other devices.

I saw you fixed a similar issue here:Problem Solved - Microphone Auto-Mutes itself so I think you will probably know what to do with mine too? I couldn't follow the instructions there as some files are created specifically for that person and something might be outdated too.

Some speculation: The issue persists through reinstallation, but should not be hardware issue as the microphone on the headset doesn't work as well. Thus I think the virus or whatever is not stored on a disc or is part of the BIOS? It reminds me of programming gaming mouse - it should have some memory to remember what each key is binded for. May the virus be stored in internal microphone itself?
Or other possibility is google chrome, which would explain, why the issue is cross-platform too. Right after reinstallation, it seems to work a while. I didn't try another reinstallation to test this, but could something in chrome cause this? It is the only app, which is synchronized and used on both OS I use. There was an extension called Battleground of Eldwelm I always saw in IOBIT Unninstaller. I always removed it and it came back right after restart.

Thank you for reading and I will be glad for any help. I have worked on fixing this for 4 days now.

Attachments

• Addition.txt
    16.5 KB · Views: 157
  • FRST.txt
    37.3 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

greenmask9

Thread author
Jul 25, 2018
When originally posting, it somehow didn't post information incl. my windows version etc. However, I found something interesting. When my laptop is openned in a different angle, microphone seems to always turn on till I change the angle again. I dunno if it is malware then. But the issue occured directly after I killed svchost.exe task from command prompt. Before that, microphone worked for hours before turning off, whereas now it just turns or for a minute if ever.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.