Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Bing AI button reappeared after updating after using command-line method to disable it.

Also a new (to me) alert from Edge to "Continue browsing with Edge ...." while printing a PDF. The constant intrusions are a constant irritation.
Try adding this to the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Edge
DWORD: HubsSidebarEnabled
Value: 0

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Version 111.0.1661.44: March 16, 2023
Feature update
New Microsoft Edge PDF experience policy. As part of the Adobe and Microsoft collaboration to re-envision the future workplace and your digital experiences, we are natively embedding the Adobe Acrobat PDF engine into the Microsoft Edge built-in PDF reader, with a release scheduled in March 2023. Administrators can start testing the new Microsoft Edge PDF reader which is powered by the Adobe Acrobat PDF engine by enabling the NewPDFReaderEnabled policy. For more information, see Microsoft Edge and Adobe partner to improve the PDF experience.
Policy updates
New policies
ShowAcrobatSubscriptionButton - Shows button on native PDF viewer in Microsoft Edge that allows users to sign up for Adobe Acrobat subscription
NewPDFReaderEnabled - Microsoft Edge built-in PDF reader powered by Adobe Acrobat enabled

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Guys if you are signed into Edge, using sync functions, can you check this?
Go to "edge://sync-internals/", on the top left click on "Sync Node Browser", collapse "Device Info" and see how many devices does it show there?
Let me tell you how it works on Chrome, so any device where you're signed in would show up here. But if the device has not been synced for more than 7 days it would disappear from there. This is normal and expected behavior. In the past Edge wouldn't delete these device names from here. So, if you reinstall windows and sign in again, the older more than 7 days ones would still show up here. If your old signed-in device and new signed in the device has the same name they would show multiple times there. Even if you sign out, the device info just wouldn't get deleted. For Chrome, if you sign out, the device is instantly gone from the list. But it was/is an issue for Edge. Old devices were showing up even in the list of Send tabs to other devices. I had to choose reset Edge including deleting everything from Microsoft Server to remove that device info.
I haven't signed out of Edge or reinstalled Windows in a long time. So I can not test it myself at the moment and asking you to check how it is on your device to give me an idea.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

As soon as you set a policy for Edge through GPO or registry, you will get the "Your browser is managed by your organization", which in itself is not a problem, but you also can't change your DNS over HTTPS setting anymore (@brambedkar59).

I have included a few of my Edge policies, you can see what those settings do at Microsoft Edge Browser Policy Documentation

UserAgentReduction=dword:00000002
"WebRtcLocalhostIpHandling"="AllowPublicInterfaceOnly"
HubsSidebarEnabled=dword:00000000
ShowPDFDefaultRecommendationsEnabled=dword:00000000
SpotlightExperiencesAndRecommendationsEnabled=dword:00000000
AdsSettingForIntrusiveAdsSites=dword:00000002
ConfigureFriendlyURLFormat=dword:00000001
ShowMicrosoftRewards=dword:00000000
DiagnosticData=dword:00000000

DnsOverHttpsMode="automatic"
DnsOverHttpsTemplates="https://dns.quad9.net/dns-query"

! just copy the URL you would normally enter in the Edge settings GUI, I used Quad9 as example above

RendererAppContainerEnabled=dword:00000001
DefaultFileSystemReadGuardSetting=dword:00000002
DefaultFileSystemWriteGuardSetting=dword:00000002
AudioSandboxEnabled=dword:00000001
BrowserLegacyExtensionPointsBlockingEnabled=dword:00000001
NetworkServiceSandboxEnabled=dword:00000001
InsecurePrivateNetworkRequestsAllowed=dword:00000000
AutomaticHttpsDefault=dword:00000001
PDFSecureMode=dword:00000001
SandboxExternalProtocolBlocked=dword:00000001
SharedArrayBufferUnrestrictedAccessAllowed=dword:00000000
AllowCrossOriginAuthPrompt=dword:00000000
BasicAuthOverHttpEnabled=dword:00000000
DefaultInsecureContentSetting=dword:00000002
DefaultWebHidGuardSetting=dword:00000002
DefaultWebUsbGuardSetting=dword:00000002
SmartScreenEnabled=dword:00000001
SmartScreenPuaEnabled=dword:00000001
InternetExplorerIntegrationLevel=dword:00000002
SmartScreenForTrustedDownloadsEnabled=dword:00000001
DefaultSensorsSetting=dword:00000002
DefaultSerialGuardSetting=dword:00000002

As always feedback appreciated when I have set/enabled/disabled something wrong or forgot an option

Last edited by a moderator:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Is this for real! Maybe it's time for me to go back to Chrome again.

One useless "feature" after another, we haven't even got the update for fixing the last "Discover" issue yet and now this. If they won't provide an easy way to disable this crap, I will be moving on to something else. Haven't tried Firefox for a while now.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@brambedkar59 @Sammo @SeriousHoax I'm rediscovering the relative simplicity of Chrome compared to Edge, Brave, etc. Very strange but it seems we are all coming full circle back to several years ago, before Brave, et. al.

The issues I'm facing in Chrome are the missing "Clear history on close" feature and all the calls made to the various Google entities without user action or consent. As to the latter, I'm not sure that chrome://settings are enough to stop the worst offenses. Thus, I'm considering using Adguard extension and currently test driving JSHelter extension to make up for Chrome's deficiencies.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I wonder how long it will be before MS starts adding unwanted and unnecessary "new features" to the Windows OS itself. I already voiced how I feel about AI and interacting with robots but will add here that I also do not want anything at all to do with crypto. Period. Crypto is nothing but an outright scam used by crooks, criminals and thieves and I want nothing to do with it.

I have been working with Linux the last few weeks, dual booting Mint on my older Windows 10 laptop, learning how Linux works and what I can do with it. I like Linux a lot but today I fired up my Windows 11 laptop, just to keep it updated and possibly pay more attention to the differences between Windows and Linux. Things like this crypto nonsense and AI and the forced Bing junk are all really reaffirming that I made a very good decision to move to Linux.

I think I may set up this newer Windows 11 laptop to dual boot Mint or possibly another distro this weekend. MS and Edge just keep getting worse. I have been using the Chromium browser in Mint and it works great so far. It looks and works a lot like Chrome without the creepy ads and tracking. Firefox also works very will in Mint. I found it interesting and very reassuring that FF and Chromium were the default browsers in Mint.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I hate to admit it but I bit off more than I care to chew with Linux. It is a neat OS, some parts are interesting how they work, but it ran too slow for me. Some of the websites I use every day either didn't work at all or were very slow to load. I had a few other problems with Mint too that are probably way above my pay grade to fix. The main thing was the slow internet. It was ok on some sites but really slow on others. I tested in Chrome under Windows 10 and did not have any of those type of problems. Linux is cool, I will give it that but it is just not the right thing for me, not right now. I went back to Windows and Chrome as my default browser. I am tired of MS and their pushy tactics. Switching away from Edge is one thing I can control. I may revisit Linux some time in the future, but for now I am tolerating MS and avoiding Edge altogether.

C.H.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
If edge is going for crypto wallet thing aswell, theres only google chrome and vivaldi left , if you want to sync between mobile devices aswell.
Its bye bye edge for now, vivaldi is my new home

Been a huge letdown lately with windows and edge aswell , bugs after bugs

Reactions: brambedkar59

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.