Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

wat0114

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2021
I haven't been willing to take the plunge with all that's required as I have only 1 machine.

You can easily dual-boot a Linux distro alongside Windows. Your hdd/ssd can be easily partitioned to your heart's content to include the root, home and swap partitions for linux, especially that it's likely using the GPT Partition table.

Alternatively you can also burn an ISO to a pendrive and trial Linux from a Live environment running entirely in RAM without any commitment to installing it to your device. If you decide to install it to your device, you can do so from the Live environment.

As for Edge browser, I have dumped it primarily in favor of Firefox, and secondary for Chrome.

Last edited:

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
You can easily dual-boot a Linux distro alongside Windows. Your hdd/ssd can be easily partitioned to your heart's content to include the root, home and swap partitions for linux, especially that it's likely using the GPT Partition table.

Alternatively you can also burn an ISO to a pendrive and trial Linux from a Live environment running entirely in RAM without any commitment to installing it to your device. If you decide to install it to your device, you can do so from the Live environment.

As for Edge browser, I have dumped it primarily in favor of Firefox, and secondary for Chrome.
I will add a little here, when I started with Mint I ran it from the USB to try it out. It worked great so I installed it from the USB and I did not have to change or create a partition or do anything else. The Linux installer did all that by itself. I just agreed to the default partitions and select the option to run Linux alongside Windows.

Now when I start the laptop it instantly shows the UEFI menu where I can select Linux or Windows. I think it is pretty slick the way it works. The only thing I thought was odd is when you try Mint on the USB without installing it does not save any changes you make. For example if you save any bookmarks or add any extensions in Firefox they will not be there the next time you use Mint from the USB. It does save all your apps and changes when you install Mint though. I don't mean to preach but the more I use Linux the less I miss Windows.

C.H.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Bing AI button reappeared after updating after using command-line method to disable it.

Also a new (to me) alert from Edge to "Continue browsing with Edge ...." while printing a PDF. The constant intrusions are a constant irritation.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Got the update with the Bing AI today. Call me old fashioned but I'd rather search for a term or word rather than chat to a thing. Maybe I'll be into it one day but for now ignoring that blue B.
Same here. I have absolutely no interest in talking to or otherwise interacting with a robot. I used to think Edge was a pretty good browser. Not now. Edge and MS are both becoming way too invasive and demanding.

C.H.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have yet to try ChatGPT MS or OpenAI, curious so I updated Edge and clicked the Bing button only to read "introducing the new Bing. Join the waitlist." So a lot of hype for something not available yet?? :unsure:(n)
MS has been that way since Windows 8. The bloat and telemetry and tracking and useless features just grow with time.
I used win7 long past EOL, now running win10, but wondering... I could make a VMware win7_vm :unsure:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
The only thing I thought was odd is when you try Mint on the USB without installing it does not save any changes you make. For example if you save any bookmarks or add any extensions in Firefox they will not be there the next time you use Mint from the USB.
C.H. you can create a Linux Mint USB drive with persistence. Any modifications you make will be kept permanently on this portable operating system. You will also be able to access this permanent storage and all stored data whenever you reboot the Live USB. ;) For more information on how to create a Linux Mint USB drive with persistence go here.(y)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
At least, good news for the recent annoyance from Microsoft, Edge users may can hide even this "Discover Bing Button". At the moment it's possible in Edge Canary 113.0.1742.0

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

My desktop doesnot qualify for Windows11, but it is fast enough for me. When it has not broken down when Windows10 supports end, I will probably switch to Ubuntu Pro (with 10 year updates).

When it was first launched Edge was the best and safest Chromium based browser, but my registry based policies has over 20 settings, more than half are related to disabling stuff. A real pitty.

The only thing I really like is Outlook, Microsoft already made it free for Android and has announced Apple and Linux versions, so I will sit this out and try to minimalize bloat as much as possible.

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
Anyone else has this problem? automatic https enabled at chrome flags, but its ends up as grey

automatichttps.png

EDIT : problem got solved you have to click here to enable this setting
automatichtts.png

Attachments

• automatichttps.png
    automatichttps.png
    7.8 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

piquiteco

Level 14
Oct 16, 2022
My desktop doesnot qualify for Windows11, but it is fast enough for me. When it has not broken down when Windows10 supports end, I will probably switch to Ubuntu Pro (with 10 year updates).

When it was first launched Edge was the best and safest Chromium based browser, but my registry based policies has over 20 settings, more than half are related to disabling stuff. A real pitty.

The only thing I really like is Outlook, Microsoft already made it free for Android and has announced Apple and Linux versions, so I will sit this out and try to minimalize bloat as much as possible.
+1 I am wanting to do the same, install linux and forget about it. MS EDGE updated automatically yesterday silently and I went to open today now, and EDGE popped up this B for BING. Microsoft as always is annoying, shoving these things down our throats with this AI Chat GPT business, no way to hide or remove this B. As always Google Chrome remains simple and its hegemony will continue. This B can be useful, in the search engines and not in the browser. It is very rare that I use EDGE, so now that I will not use it any time soon, if I lose patience I might uninstall it. Oh my god, EDGE is too bloated. :confused:
1678969861418.png

Reactions: oldschool

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
C.H. you can create a Linux Mint USB drive with persistence. Any modifications you make will be kept permanently on this portable operating system. You will also be able to access this permanent storage and all stored data whenever you reboot the Live USB. ;) For more information on how to create a Linux Mint USB drive with persistence go here.(y)
Thanks for the tip. I will remember it if I try any other distro. I am still very much a noob with Linux and did not know that was possible.

C.H.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Can't seem to enable this after doing that registry tweak for hiding discover button.

View attachment 273636
Confirmed. But since MS has a upcoming working solution for the Bing/discover button it's probably time to soon consider remove the reg key. I'll keep it for now as the fix for the stable version is still around 2 months away.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Can we pls stay on topic.

Can't seem to enable this after doing that registry tweak for hiding discover button.

View attachment 273636
Yeah, this is normal and I hate it. I don't see the logic behind this. I created a lot of policies to force Edge to not change any settings with a new update but had to give up in the end because I wasn't able to change DNS in the browser anymore which is something I need sometimes to visit malicious/phishing sites that's blocked by my DNS. Thankfully Edge updates haven't changed any settings for me in recent times.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.