Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Just downloaded not a big fan of the "bing" icon displaying...
Just another reason to use Chrome. Here's how to disable it:
How to disable Discover Bing button in Microsoft Edge

For this fix to work you have to disable the Startup boost option. If you still want a fast startup just use this plugin:
Run In Background

And now another reason to hate Micro$oft Edge. Their persistent Ads platform button:
ads-1.jpg

Last edited:

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I also don't like it.

Found one way possible way to disable it:
Maybe there are others ?
Have you checked in O&Os shutup 10? :unsure:

I doubt it since the latest version is from 2022. Hopefully they will add it in their next update.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I did this Edge update today on my Windows 11 laptop, to see what this was all about. I don't care for it. One other thing I noticed about it was it turned back on the "writing assistance" setting. That one is like a predictive typing text and I don't like it at all. I had it turned off but there it was back on again after the Edge update. The bing.com telemetry does not sit well with me either.

Things like this are really causing me to consider leaving Windows/MS altogether. I have been working with Linux the last couple of weeks, mostly using the Chromium browser in Mint Cinnamon dual booting on my older Windows 10 laptop, and it works very well so far. One thing I noticed right away with Linux is they don't force unnecessary updates and features on you. If Linux does have an update it is to improve the OS or one of their apps. And the updates don't break other parts of the OS either.

I think MS has been getting too big for its britches for a very long time now.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I haven't been willing to take the plunge with all that's required as I have only 1 machine.
I know what you mean. I was leery of Linux too but it was a lot easier to get started than I thought it would be. I tried 2 or 3 distros but settled on Mint Cinnamon because it was easier to learn and use and is also structured more like Windows. You can burn a live Linux ISO on a flash drive and boot from the flash drive to try it out. If you don't install Linux you just eject the flash drive and your Windows will not be affected at all.

C.H.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
That doesn't make a difference, still seeing "managed by your organization" or did you have another reason?
Did you restart the system? I saw in another forum that someone did it for another reason. It's hard to imagine that changing a setting in
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...... leads to the unwanted message. But I haven't tried it.

Edit: from https://www.askvg.com/disable-or-remove-bing-chat-button-or-icon-from-microsoft-edge-toolbar/:

NOTE: After applying the above mentioned policy or registry tweak, you may notice “Your browser is managed by your organization” message showing on Settings page and main Menu in Microsoft Edge browser. Don’t worry! It happens when you implement a policy in the web browser. You can safely ignore the message.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.