Serious Discussion Microsoft Edge Stable (Chromium) Now Available for Download

Sammo

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 27, 2012
Just another reason to hate Edge. This is from Edge Dev and will be force fed to the release soon.
edge-dev-1.jpg

Nice big Bing icon that opens the Discover sidebar. Profile pic is now on the left side of the tab bar. 😠

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Just another reason to hate Edge. This is from Edge Dev and will be force fed to the release soon.
View attachment 273132
Nice big Bing icon that opens the Discover sidebar. Profile pic is now on the left side of the tab bar. 😠
Man, they are simply determined to drive folks away from Edge with this constant intrusion of upsell features. It's amazing how they have f***ed this up after its initial chromium rollout. Remember those days? I'm glad I'm checking out Chrome finally, after a long time away from it.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
View attachment 273132
Yeah, this is expected as this was showcased when they unveiled the new Bing.
But there must be an option to disable that.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Version 110.0.1587.56 released, no changelogs yet.
Version 110.0.1587.56: February 25, 2023
Fixed various bugs and performance issues.

Stable channel security updates are listed here.
Microsoft has released the latest Microsoft Edge Stable Channel (Version 110.0.1587.56) which incorporates the latest Security Updates of the Chromium project. For more information, see the Security Update Guide.
Microsoft Edge VersionDate ReleasedBased on Chromium Version
110.0.1587.562/25/2023110.0.5481.177

Last edited:

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

Microsoft Edge Ads are Getting Out of Control​

After watching whole video one thing is clear, he doesn't like MS and is a Google/Linux fanboi. For me features/annoyance ratio is still enough to make me continue using Edge, the day it reaches the threshold I will move on to something different, it won't be chrome though.

That being said MS is actively making Edge a worse experience day by day. Amount of bugs I have encountered is getting on my nerves, sending feedback every time is not the answer, it's not my job to report errors. These bugs are supposed to be fixed in testing stages, that's what Canary/Beta builds are for. Rant over.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Edge Add-ons Store will soon get badges to help you find great extensions
Like most mainstream browsers, Edge has its extensions store, where customers can download various add-ons to expand the browser's feature set. According to Microsoft, Edge Add-ons Store is approaching 11,000 extensions, which means Microsoft needs to figure out how to improve discoverability as the marketplace grows. Extension badging is one way to do that.

In a recently published community post, the software giant announced an upcoming experiment aiming to flag high-quality extensions with badges. Markers should also encourage developers to build their projects with the best practices in mind and deliver great user experiences for the end customers.

Microsoft is not ready for a global badge rollout, and the company wants to conduct a small-scale experiment first. It also plans to engage with the developer community to sort out criteria that entitle a particular extension for a badge and help developers get acquainted with the badging process.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

Microsoft Edge Ads are Getting Out of Control​

Wow! I didn't know Edge was injecting ads. I guess I never thought about it. The narrator sounds like the guy from TPCSC but the channel is Mental Outlaw. What's up? Is this his free form channel to rant about whatever? 🤔

Edit: OK, I watched a part of Linux Is Free If You Don't Value Your Time and this has to be the same guy.
After watching whole video one thing is clear, he doesn't like MS and is a Google/Linux fanboi. For me features/annoyance ratio is still enough to make me continue using Edge,
I agree but honestly don't know what I'm going to do. This is just so creepy. o_O:cautious: Maybe I'm going use the 3 mainstream browsers and start compartmentalizing my browsing.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

For me the added security of AppContainer is a reason to prefer Edge over Chrome. Because Microsoft preloads Edge it also starts faster than Chrome (which on my 10 year old Desktop is a big plus). The only nuisance of Edge is that I have to check from time to time whether they developed new features which can be turned of by group policy. To be honest Microsoft is not half as annoying as Hey Google on my Samsung Phone and still less annoying than the enhanced user features Samsung (tries to) install.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
@Sammo and others - There have been so many recent updates and today I found a bunch of settings changed. Chrome and Firefox don't do this. I can't believe I'm shilling for Chrome! Who'da thought? ;) :LOL:
I’ve been considering going back to Chrome or a Chrome/Firefox hybrid. I have finally gotten annoyed with something in Edge…”would you like to change to Edge default settings?”. I don’t even customize much, but the few things I do are for a reason. If I say no once the answer isn’t changing next update bub.

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Edge on the PC has been fine for me for a while now but it's the Android version that is bothering me too much for more than a month now.
The main issue at the moment is scrolling lag on many websites, mainly the first scroll after loading. Couple of hours ago it received an update that has fixed the first scrolling lag on a couple of sites but now I see that the Virustotal website lags like hell. Can't do any up-down scrolling on the site without lagging. Chrome has no scrolling lag.
Also on my phone at least, Chromium engine on Android has a massive issue with loading long lists or sites like AMD driver downloader where there are many categories of hardware to choose from or when a pdf is attached in the middle of an article. All Chromium browsers get stuck, become unusable for me when I reach that attached pdf on the page or try to find my GPU from the AMD list. Firefox for Android has no such issues of scrolling lag or getting outdone by an attached pdf though it's still slower than Chromium.
Last but not least, MS still hasn't managed to fix all the syncing issues. Though my history syncing has been working fine but not for many users. Collection syncing is something that doesn't work at all for me. My Edge Android doesn't even have the option to sync collection. Luckily I don't need it.
Edge's best feature on PC is sleeping tabs. Chrome's new Memory Saver feature is useless for me as it completely kills the background tabs unlike Edge which seems to just pause the script engine and has absolutely no effect on browsing when I go back the the tab that was sleeping.

WhiteMouse

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Apr 19, 2017
For me the added security of AppContainer is a reason to prefer Edge over Chrome. Because Microsoft preloads Edge it also starts faster than Chrome (which on my 10 year old Desktop is a big plus). The only nuisance of Edge is that I have to check from time to time whether they developed new features which can be turned of by group policy. To be honest Microsoft is not half as annoying as Hey Google on my Samsung Phone and still less annoying than the enhanced user features Samsung (tries to) install.
If security is important, I think chrome is better nowadays unless you always use WDAG. Faster update, less bloat that means less security issues, and about AppContainer (Chrome has it since 105:
34298348932342.png

Sorrento

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2021
As for Edge nags such as 'would you like to make Edge your default browser' as with many things the answer is NO but I get Yes or Not Now :mad:

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.